WIndows clean install using Rufus partitioning error

eco_bach

Hi guys
Decided I needed to do a clean format of my PC for a Windows Install. Last time I did this was when I built my PC over 5 years ago and obviously should have taken better notes!
I have a dual boot setup with Disk 0 being my Linux install and Disk 1 at least WAS my Windows install. Running an AMD Megatrends BIOS.

But I don't care about dual boot at this point. I simply need to get Windows up and running!

WIll take you thru the steps sequentially to show you where I am at.
First created bootable USB media using defaults with Rufus.

And my first question
Does Rufus by default create 2 bootable partitions on your USB, UEFI and non-UEFI?
And my first error when I chose what I believe is the non-UEFI USB partition to boot from in my BIOS
(see attached)

To solve I followed the 2nd option and recreated my Rufus USB using MBR.
Then when booting agqin I get errors 2 and 3. Have no idea what error 0x
My goal is to simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on Disk 1.
But so even if I have to install on Disks 2 or 3 thats ok as well! (error is saying the partition type is incorrect)

Starting new job Monday and was actually hoping to do real work this weekend so ill be forever grateful for anyone that can walk me thru this!

eror1_inompatiblBot.JPG

error2_0x80300024.JPG

error3_GPT_partition.JPG

Are you able to format your drives as NTFS in the Windows Installer?

The issue is that Windows uses the NTFS format, and can only be installed on drives formatted as NTFS. Since your drives are formatted as GPT(this what Linux uses iirc), you have to first reformat the drive before you can install Windows on it.

If you select the drive in the Windows Installer and then click "Format", that should bring up a menu that allows you to change this.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

12 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you able to format your drives as NTFS in the Windows Installer?

The issue is that Windows uses the NTFS format, and can only be installed on drives formatted as NTFS. Since your drives are formatted as GPT(this what Linux uses iirc), you have to first reformat the drive before you can install Windows on it.

If you select the drive in the Windows Installer and then click "Format", that should bring up a menu that allows you to change this.

GPT is seperate from NTFS. GPT is a partitioning type (as opposed to MBR) while NTFS is a file system on top of GPT.

@eco_bachThe issue you're having is two fold. You're trying to install to a parition with a file system already on it. If you want to install on disk 1, select each partition on disk 1 and click delete until disk 1 is nothing but unallocated space.

The second issue is that your system seems to only support booting from MBR as you're using a legacy BIOS rather than UEFI. You'll need to convert disk 1 to use MBR rather than GPT. You can do this via diskpart in the installation interface:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-disk-as-mbr-when-installing-windows/60cb716b-8373-4b57-8aee-699f5c1ee4d3

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

GPT is seperate from NTFS. GPT is a partitioning type (as opposed to MBR) which NTFS is a file system on top of GPT.

This is correct, yes. I thought I had something wrong there...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!