Cant format NVME drive

darre

Hi! 
So i ran into an error where i got black screen with cursor on my pc. I rebooted my whole pc, but wasn't able to format the NVME drive in my (prebuilt) asus strix 12cs. 
Instead i installed windows on the HDD. Now that im in i want to format the NVME drive so i can reboot again and install windows on my NVME again. 

But here is where the problems begin. 

I can format my drive but it always resets the data somehow!? 
Even if i go into diskpart and do "delete partition overreide" it gives me "successful" but the data comes back! Also if i just do clean in diskpart the data comes back!?!!image.png.56bf3ada47f47a8adb7445de978cf401.png

When i enter computer management it resets it self I also checked for errors but there are none
 image.png.47747b875bc480f41cad3989e708b2cd.png

Here is the drive, its partitioned as you can see.

image.png.eedd7fb3f2e578da21c006f77281aed7.png
The drive contains the old windows system.
What shall i do!?

I'd try to do it using GParted from a Linux LiveUSB/LiveCD if Windows won't play ball. Do you have a spare USB drive lying around that you could use for that?

27 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I'd try to do it using GParted from a Linux LiveUSB/LiveCD if Windows won't play ball. Do you have a spare USB drive lying around that you could use for that?

Yes i do! Should i install linux on my system format it there ?

4 minutes ago, darre said:

Yes i do! Should i install linux on my system format it there ?

You can run Linux just off of a flash drive - no need to install it. There's actually a GParted distribution that's designed for this kind of purpose: https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

Also, you should probably remove any drives that you have valuable data on - just to make sure that you don't accidentally try to format the wrong drive.

ON the windows install options, can't you just delete all the partitions on that drive and select it as the OS drive after that?  That's all I ever do, have never had to use a separate partitioning tool etc.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

51 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

ON the windows install options, can't you just delete all the partitions on that drive and select it as the OS drive after that?  That's all I ever do, have never had to use a separate partitioning tool etc.

In a world where Windows just let you do what it said on the tin, that would be a thing, but I've encountered several cases over the years where Windows partitioning tools just refused to work. Generally, it's some Windows security thing. For example, if you have Fast Boot enabled, and you do Shutdown, then Windows won't let you modify the files on that drive to protect the data integrity. BitLocker will basically do a total lock-down on modifications to the drive using any Microsoft or Windows tool - again, in an effort to protect the data.

Linux, on the other hand, doesn't care about your data. It just does what you tell it to do. It's like a perfectly loyal soldier that will gladly follow any order - no matter how horrific it may be - if you tell it that it's a direct order by using root or sudo.