Windows USB or personal USB stick for fresh install

WestTexan
Go to solution Solved by Supersonicwolfe,
34 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

Can I use the windows blue USB stick that came with my purchase of windows that I bought in 2019 or must I take my 16gb USB and make it one of this by following instructions with the windows media creation tool? I'd prefer to just use this blue stick in the picture.

also,How do I even do what I want? Fresh install windows 10 and format/delete everything on my ssd and HDD?

images.jpeg.9d42e79f9f65d38a0f9002858ae23d9c.jpeg

I believe that is just a Generic USB from Windows.

So you can probably format that Windows USB stick using Microsoft's Media Cration Tool

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

(Select your region, the above link is for United States - English)

*I recommand get a fresh Windows 10 Image this way, so you don't have to worry about installing tons of update in last 2-3 years. 

This way you Jump to Windows10 22H2, instead of installing the earlier version of Win10 and patch your way forward.

My PC wont work,I can get into bios and everything works fine there.

I was trying to use DDU and fresh install my gpu driver because of pc freezing when opening any browser or changing resolution. Did everything right, DDU restarts the pc as it should and now whenever I get to the screen that shows the time and if u press enter you get to put your password in. It freezes. Bios works fine so now I want to fresh install win 10 on the pc and delete/format everything on my 2 drives to start fresh

Can I use the windows blue USB stick that came with my purchase of windows that I bought in 2019 or must I take my 16gb USB and make it one of this by following instructions with the windows media creation tool? I'd prefer to just use this blue stick in the picture.

also,How do I even do what I want? Fresh install windows 10 and format/delete everything on my ssd and HDD?

My guess : Put usb in pc>Turn pc on> spam delete key > get into bios and change the 1st boot priority to USB then find boot from USB.Will I be able to format both drives while doing the fresh install of windows?

4 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

Can I use the windows blue USB stick that came with my purchase of windows that I bought in 2019

Why not? You'll just have a couple years' worth of Windows updates to catch up on.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

34 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

I believe that is just a Generic USB from Windows.

So you can probably format that Windows USB stick using Microsoft's Media Cration Tool

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

(Select your region, the above link is for United States - English)

*I recommand get a fresh Windows 10 Image this way, so you don't have to worry about installing tons of update in last 2-3 years. 

This way you Jump to Windows10 22H2, instead of installing the earlier version of Win10 and patch your way forward.

14 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

My guess : Put usb in pc>Turn pc on> spam delete key > get into bios and change the 1st boot priority to USB then find boot from USB.Will I be able to format both drives while doing the fresh install of windows?

If your drives on the computer don't have important data, yes 

After you select "Install Now" windows, there will be a "custom (advanced)" option. There you can open a tool similar to disk-partition tool. You can delete all partitions there and start from fresh. Note that you can't undo any of these changes, so make sure you chose the correct partition.

You can also save some of your data by only delete old recovery and system reserve/UEFI partition. 

Once you done deleting, select the unallocated partiton, and Windows will re-create necessary partitions.

I update my Windows install USB with the official tool monthly just for piece of mind. No way in hell I'd install my OS fresh using a build from 2019. 

4 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I update my Windows install USB with the official tool monthly just for piece of mind. No way in hell I'd install my OS fresh using a build from 2019. 

I agree. Hence, I recommended update that USB first... unless the OP don't have another computer/library they can go to.

I am quite sure they only update the image every quarterly or so. I just recently installed Windows 11 with a freshly created USB, and still have to install several updates.