Steam streaming at 120hz?

Ashleyyyy

tldr my question is does steam in home streaming do 120hz? 

long question:

i recently got my friends old laptop cuz he upgraded, due to the laptop having some issues. the battery shorted out and fried the charging circuit, so it doesn't boot with a battery installed, and the laptop has cooling issues (thanks a lot HP), but, it has a 120hz screen. all pc monitors i have are 60hz. 

due to the battery and cooling issues i have to run the 7700HQ in the laptop without turbo boost and to prevent it shutting down due to power reasons i have to limit the 1060 in it to 90% power. as a result the only games the laptop can run at 120fps are esports games like Overwatch. 

but i was thinking, i could run my gaming pc headless and use steam in home streaming to the laptop to take advantage of the 120hz screen without overloading the laptop. 

would this work? 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

tldr my question is does steam in home streaming do 120hz? 

long question:

i recently got my friends old laptop cuz he upgraded, due to the laptop having some issues. the battery shorted out and fried the charging circuit, so it doesn't boot with a battery installed, and the laptop has cooling issues (thanks a lot HP), but, it has a 120hz screen. all pc monitors i have are 60hz. 

due to the battery and cooling issues i have to run the 7700HQ in the laptop without turbo boost and to prevent it shutting down due to power reasons i have to limit the 1060 in it to 90% power. as a result the only games the laptop can run at 120fps are esports games like Overwatch. 

but i was thinking, i could run my gaming pc headless and use steam in home streaming to the laptop to take advantage of the 120hz screen without overloading the laptop. 

would this work? 

If you are doing competitive gaming, the latency if doing over wifi can be game breaking. 

As for the game streaming, sure, you should be able to do it pretty easily with the laptop. It may not be the best experience depending on how well the 7700HQ does the video decoding, but as long as you have a high speed connection, you shouldn't be too bad off.