Stupid LN2 Question

Aremis

Could I make an LN2 pot for a laptop chip that just sticks out the vent and has pipes that go to the socket?

I don't know why but for some reason I want to LN2 an overclockable thinkpad and see what happens

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Problably

But what thinkpad and what cpu?

IDK something I can run 1vyrain on.  Probably a 2620m or 2720m.

Alternatively, a macbook with a 3820QM

Most likely no: https://www.technologyx.com/featured/beginners-guide-subzero-benchmarking/. You need the board prepped properly, and the ability to heat the pot back up to avoid bugs with Intel CPUs that make the chip shut off below certain temps, or refuse to boot. AFAIK the thermal mass of the pot can be important as well, though I've never dabbled in LN2 myself so I'm not certain on that. And I don't know that LN2 would do well in any sort of pipe as it boils off, seems that would make any sort of attempt at flowing it into the laptop ineffective.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Aremis said:

Could I make an LN2 pot for a laptop chip that just sticks out the vent and has pipes that go to the socket?

So you could use it still in laptop mode? Theoretically yes but it would be so ineffective that it's just not worth doing. If you're gonna subzero a laptop, you might as well go all the way, direct cool with some sort of mini pot and do it that way. 

I'm not meaning like thermosyphon the LN2 or anything, I just mean a cup and hollow empty heatpipes.  Of course I can just touch off the bottom of the cup any time.