Why is EVERYONE Buying this Gaming Headset???

Plouffe

Need a new headset? We bought the number one best-seller on Amazon, the Bengoo G9000, to find out once again why EVERYONE is buying this thing. Is it a good deal, or a waste of money?

Buy a Bengoo G9000 Pro Headset: https://geni.us/cSOlM

Buy a EPOS Sennheiser GSP 300 Headset: https://geni.us/VF1EJOD

Buy a Redragon H101 Headset: https://geni.us/LY8PUxs

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Guessing the series x emulation video was uploaded by mistake?

I'm confused by the comment at about 8:24 (link at end) about the complaint on not being able to hear other speakers over the headphones and the graph that is shown.

Linus comments that "... makes sense given how bad the top end looks in our frequency response". But, it looks like what is highlighted in the graph is ~2k-100k. Isn't human speech typically 80 to 255 hz? (well below that, even if it's going to sound compressed without the highs...)

LTT scraping the bottom of the barrel again for video ideas a good deal? Seriously, if you cannot pony up $150 for a decent set of cans you've got bigger issues IMHO.

Here's an idea for a video - folks who prefer speakers instead of wearing cans but still want a great mic. Find me a 3.5mm or USB mic that doesn't have to sit on my desk on a stand or boom. There are mics out there that can attach to headphones but that's not what I am talking about here. How about a head worn mic that doesn't suck and can be used for things like Skype as well.

i´ve had one headset just like this one mine was the g2000 pro but when i reached to see the similarity i´ve discovered that mine are branded as beexcellent but the box has a web leading to a company caled kotion they claim that their company was created in 2006 and they pruduce the g9000 exact same product, mine broken because the sleeving was twisting the cord and it broke in multiple parts

19 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Need a new headset? We bought the number one best-seller on Amazon, the Bengoo G9000, to find out once again why EVERYONE is buying this thing. Is it a good deal, or a waste of money?

Buy a Bengoo G9000 Pro Headset: https://geni.us/cSOlM

Buy a EPOS Sennheiser GSP 300 Headset: https://geni.us/VF1EJOD

Buy a Redragon H101 Headset: https://geni.us/LY8PUxs

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Well you said it your self (or at least pointed at it) even if you didnt realized it (at 0:03 of the video) 

This is what's inside a headset (even an expensive one) 

A Visual Guide Of Everything Inside Your Headphones ...

A few screws, some magnets put in the right way around a coil and a plastic membrane on top (speakers/drivers) one or two small 1 layer or 2 layer (= cheap AF) PCBs and the rest is plastic and foam and MAYBE some aluminium metal (again cheap same stuff is in a coke can) 

This is what is inside (an already overpriced -yes I think that "selling at loss" propaganda is just that a propaganda to make you more likely to buy such a "nice deal" cause its at "their loss" - )  $250 console:

I disassembled Microsoft's next-generation game machine 'Xbox Series X'  into pieces and looked inside - GIGAZINE

and in fact quite a few parts are missing from this picture... 

Yet many headphones cost around $250.... (if not more)  

That's why most people buy the cheapest piece of garbage because the "quality to loss" ratio (loss here = how much money they will lose from their pockets) is much more favorable, meaning that the tiniest upgrade in a headphone needs a very substantial increase in its retail price. 

$250 headphones are better than these $25 ones, sure,  but they are not 10 times* better they are like 2 or 3 times better at best... (probably less than 2) 

*and in actuality if the price difference is 10 times higher they should be more than 10 times better simply because most things that make headphones better sounding is in things that dont have a cost but are rather a matter of how experienced a designer/engineer is in a given task (e.g DAC or codecs/compression/ headphone placement/orientation deciding the analogy between sizes or quantities of different parts in a driver, choosing the ideal material etc).

Or in other words most of that $250 price tag  as in like at least $200 goes into the company's + middleman profit margins and not towards the headphones themselves (better quality/hardware) so why to overpay? most people figure its better to pay $25 if the headphones are half decent cause that means most of it goes to hardware compared to what goes to profit... (obviously as long as the end result is at least usable and according to the video they seem usable if not good) 

16 hours ago, Luscious said:

LTT scraping the bottom of the barrel again for video ideas a good deal? Seriously, if you cannot pony up $150 for a decent set of cans you've got bigger issues IMHO.

And that right there is such a trash take that anything else you could possibly say means absolutely nothing.

No, not everyone can buy 150$ cans, and no, they shouldn't need to.  Jesus.  

55 minutes ago, tkitch said:

And that right there is such a trash take that anything else you could possibly say means absolutely nothing.

No, not everyone can buy 150$ cans, and no, they shouldn't need to.  Jesus.  

Not only that but they more or less (usually more) have the same price in other countries where the average salary is much lower than in US or Canada

And last but not least there are other people too who refuse to buy something that is much more expensive than the value it offers just out of principal

I am one of those people ok truth be told that for some things I dont have the dough either way but I do the same for things I could theoretically afford but dont want to e.g I could spend $500-1000 for something like a headset but never will.

I currently am very skeptical to purchase headphones that cost over $100 to be frank but I some times do it not because I believe the value is there its just that some (not even ALL lol what an insult to the customer) have more ergonomic stem and cousions than the lower priced headphones and I need that cause I use headphones for many hours some days...  

Obviously there are cheaper ones that are as good or better (both in terms of sound and quality ) but you have to be reviewer that gets tons of them to fish them out or have a friend who got lucky e.g 

These headphones (wont say brand or model etc so that you dont think I shill them) they are not known and from a company that isnt big

image.png.3578c73a1e20d28a739d50f700a2277f.png

Cost $60 and they have two cables one long with metallic (And metallic spring as a cable shield) minijack cable and a coiled one, they are plastic ok but good plastic and very ergonomic with very nice cousions and very nice sound they put my audiotechnica ath m50x($150)  to shame in durability they outlasted them twice as long and basically even since they broke they still play good (I sat on them and had some momentum cause I slipped and broke the stem not entirely but they could sit on my head only if I had them on a particular lenghth -so that the crack on the extension beam was inside the main body of the stem)  and basically 2 of them (and I bought two lol) cost less than 1 m50x set so even if the first one dies from an accident you have the second one and also can use parts from the first one in case the second one dies... super value

Especially if you consider that when I bought my first m50xs they didnt even have removable cables but a fixed one lol  but still had the same price ($150) that's how much they respect the customer (and I dont want to single them out every "big" brand does the same they just rip you off for good) 

And in terms of sound some say they sound better I say if nothing else they sound equally good. 

18 hours ago, Luscious said:

Here's an idea for a video - folks who prefer speakers instead of wearing cans but still want a great mic. Find me a 3.5mm or USB mic that doesn't have to sit on my desk on a stand or boom. There are mics out there that can attach to headphones but that's not what I am talking about here. How about a head worn mic that doesn't suck and can be used for things like Skype as well.

Nothing wrong with spending under $150 for cans.  

Nothing good tends to come from attacking people for not having money.

Your idea will enable more people to use speakers and broadcast their audio when gaming, which sucks donkey balls.

13 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Nothing wrong with spending under $150 for cans.  

Nothing good tends to come from attacking people for not having money.

Your idea will enable more people to use speakers and broadcast their audio when gaming, which sucks donkey balls.

Well I dont believe these people exist in the first place I mean ok I know that there is suffering in the world but he referred to people that post on the internet complaining about that which means that a) they have a computer/phone b) they have access to the internet 

Which means they most certainly can spend $150 for a device since they already did for the computer and/or phone and pay like 20 to 80 bucks for their internet and phone bill and what not. 

So the issue is not "poor people" the issue is that music accessory companies are not far off from "audiophile" companies and are taking you for a ride which makes people that are not stupid rich or just stupid be very hesitand to buy expensive headphones since they can understand in one way or an other that the value isnt there and most of the money will go directly to the seller's/company's profit margin and that's no reason for a sane human to pony up for such headphones. 

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

Well I dont believe these people exist in the first place I mean ok I know that there is suffering in the world but he referred to people that post on the internet complaining about that which means that a) they have a computer/phone b) they have access to the internet 

Which means they most certainly can spend $150 for a device since they already did for the computer and/or phone and pay like 20 to 80 bucks for their internet and phone bill and what not. 

So the issue is not "poor people" the issue is that music accessory companies are not far off from "audiophile" companies and are taking you for a ride which makes people that are not stupid rich or just stupid be very hesitand to buy expensive headphones since they can understand in one way or an other that the value isnt there and most of the money will go directly to the seller's/company's profit margin and that's no reason for a sane human to pony up for such headphones. 

As a student, there was times when I had a budget for a basic machine for school work and play but I didn't have a job to have regular income to upgrade or buy fancier stuff.

As a gamer that mainly plays single player games and listen to them on speakers but occasionally play a game online and want something cheap for those times.

Lots of reasons to not have money, not want to spend the money, not want to waste the money on something you will break or throw away or replace soon.  Dude lots of people are broke as hell and just need something to work and spend as little money as possible, and thats ok.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

As a student, there was times when I had a budget for a basic machine for school work and play but I didn't have a job to have regular income to upgrade or buy fancier stuff.

So if your phone broke for example you couldnt find $150 to get a new one with any means (Get a job even part-time use student credit ask from parents and or relatives) ? 

You would because the value is there. 

You may not have bothered/have gone through the same hoops to buy $150 cans because you know that these $150 cans wont be that much better than cheaper ones that's what I mean. 

43 minutes ago, papajo said:

So if your phone broke for example you couldnt find $150 to get a new one with any means (Get a job even part-time use student credit ask from parents and or relatives) ? 

You would because the value is there. 

You may not have bothered/have gone through the same hoops to buy $150 cans because you know that these $150 cans wont be that much better than cheaper ones that's what I mean. 

My cellphone battery is currently measured in minutes, so I leave in plugged in 24/7 and use it as a corded phone.

Some people might break their phone and buy a new one on credit (with debt) because they need a phone right now, but gaming headsets wouldn't make sense as a comparison as most people need a phone for work/life and gaming headsets are just nice for gaming.

21 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

My cellphone battery is currently measured in minutes, so I leave in plugged in 24/7 and use it as a corded phone.

Yea ok you are the first person I know that does that and I am from Greece a country where at least half of the people have a 700 euro (about $700) salary + everything is either same price or more expensive compared to countries with much bigger salaries... 

21 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Some people might break their phone and buy a new one on credit (with debt) because they need a phone right now, but gaming headsets wouldn't make sense as a comparison as most people need a phone for work/life and gaming headsets are just nice for gaming.

Nobody needs a phone (that costs $150) people lived and worked without cellphones (me included) just fine + if it is literally essential for your work as in someone has to communicate with you on the regular or you are fired you can buy a cheap "dump" burner phone for a few bucks 

You give 100 to 300 usd easily for a phone not because you need it as a phone but because the value is there  for the same reason less and less people buy flagships because they cost upwards of $1000 but the value isnt there they are better but not that much better than the cheap ones even if we compare same brand e.g Flagship samsung vs samsung galaxy a73 (a $450 phone which likely will fall down to about 300 -judging from previous version - a few months from now ). 

21 hours ago, geocren said:

i´ve had one headset just like this one mine was the g2000 pro but when i reached to see the similarity i´ve discovered that mine are branded as beexcellent but the box has a web leading to a company caled kotion they claim that their company was created in 2006 and they pruduce the g9000 exact same product, mine broken because the sleeving was twisting the cord and it broke in multiple parts

Kotion is the designer and manufacturer for all these headphones.

Beexcellent used to be a brand directly owned by Kotion.

Bengoo is owned by a Cyprus-based shell company controlled by someone named "Yang Hang", which resells Kotion headsets. No clue if it's otherwise affiliated with Kotion.

5 hours ago, papajo said:

These headphones (wont say brand or model etc so that you dont think I shill them) they are not known and from a company that isnt big

Status Audio CB-1. Contrary to their story on the website that implies that the headphones were designed in New York, they're a rebranded Chinese Somic MM163.

6 hours ago, papajo said:

<snip>

Or in other words most of that $250 price tag  as in like at least $200 goes into the company's + middleman profit margins and not towards the headphones themselves (better quality/hardware) so why to overpay? most people figure its better to pay $25 if the headphones are half decent cause that means most of it goes to hardware compared to what goes to profit... (obviously as long as the end result is at least usable and according to the video they seem usable if not good) 

All of this is true assuming that capital equipment, design, and engineering are free, when in practice they tend to be significant. On a per-CPU basis, sand costs pennies; energy and chemicals needed to melt, etch, and deposit on sand cost pennies; the intellectual property needed to turn the sand into chips that do useful things costs dollars.

In the headphone space, there are certainly many companies that toss cheap off-the-shelf components together, mark it up, and call it a day. But there are also plenty of headphones that took thousands of engineering hours to design, and they justifiably are priced at hundreds of dollars to recoup those costs.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Status Audio CB-1. Contrary to their story on the website that implies that the headphones were designed in New York, they're a rebranded Chinese Somic MM163.

I dont care what google says what I care is what I said quality wise they have better coushions and outlived my audiotechnica m50x + their sound is at least on par if not better. 

Googling the name you gave I buy it but who cares I mean the specs are the same and are great even for a e.g a $200+ headphone (from their "out of stock" listing in aliexpress)

Type: Closed-back dynamic 
Driver Diameter: 50 mm 
Magnet: Neodymium 
Voice Coil: CCAW (Copper-clad aluminum wire) 
Frequency Response: 8 - 30,000 Hz 
Maximum Input Power: 1,600 mW at 1 kHz 
Sensitivity: 100 dB 
Impedance: 32ohms 
Input impedance: 47kOhm 
Weight: 375 g without cable and connector 
Cable: 1.2 - 2.5m Coiled, OFC litz wire 
Connector: Gold-plated stereo 1/8" (3.5 mm) connector with strain relief and professional screw-on 1/4" (6.3 mm) adapter 

So who cares?

Having that said they dont seem to sell "Somic MM163." anymore or anywhere yet Status still sells theirs on their website and on ebay so that makes me think that they are not a Somic rebrand but that Somic is rather either a copycat (which also somehow adds up with their alliexpress offerings they are a dozen headphone and all look like existing headphone models example from steelseries or hyperX etc)

or they could just make them FOR Status and decided to sell the same design under their brand (and do the same for HyperX or whatever other clone headphones they have) and status simply told them to stop, that would explain them not selling these headphones anymore. 

And it doesnt mean anything in general especially if you take into account their price even Sennheiser has lots of headphones made in china the difference being that they ask you multiple hundred dollar bills in exchange! 😛https://www.productfrom.com/products/CN/Sennheiser/0/1

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

All of this is true assuming that capital equipment, design, and engineering are free,

They are not free but are not a reoccurring expense as well and they are standard for all. 

The capital equipment is the same for all (and most make them in china anyway)

The design is a one time thing (you dont do a new design every other day or per headphone or even per headphone batch) its a fixed cost comprised mainly of the salary (monthly or annually depending on their arrangement) of the engineers involved in the design which is a tiny fraction of the gross income of a semi successful model sales numbers 

It's standard physics and mathematics and frankly if we are talking headphones its simple stuff its not like the audiophile snakeoil sellers try to make you believe that they are doing magic and experimenting with dark matter... 

The choice of materials and design in terms of ergonomics although still trivial might actually be more costly than the actual audio hardware design because they would need to source lots of different materials and test them under several conditions (or at least could have if they wanted to have high quality products that would last and dont feel particularly lucky and/or are not already experienced because they are a new firm) 

And all that is x100 true if we are talking about a company that is established (so already has a team of experts and already has the right tooling and assembly lines or good partners that assembly their products for them ) meaning for them everything related to the above is even cheaper e.g a factory isnt going to give me the same price if I first time order 200 headphones from them compared to a big brand that makes 10000 units each year with them for the last 10 years or so..  

EDIT: Sorry but I forgot to say that on top of that I find this remark so pointless I mean the Status CB1 heaphones by simply existing  at a $60 pricetag (btw I checked the price for europe and its about 56 euro most headphone makers just slap a 1:1 conversion at best at worst the euro price is much higher so even at that they are being gents) proves the reality of the situation because they too need capital equipment

they too needed to be designed and

they too needed to be engineered 

on top of that they surely sell less heaphones per month compared to big brands (which means that they have more expensive assembly runs and distribution logistics and logistics in general because the rules of industry say that the bigger the volume the cheaper the production/distribution should become per unit because of economies of scale

And despite all that they sell for $60 (in other words big brands like audio technica should be able to do the same quality at a lot lower price if not half that price and still make a profit!

Instead of using those arguments in defense of the companies that rob you, you should see the situation for what it is and use these arguments against them this is the only way/mindset which you can profit from anything else just keeps this cycle going and you losing from that situation. 

P.S as far as your silicon example goes yes CPU chips are also cheap to manufacture due to economies of scale in fact they are not more expensive (at least not in a significant way aka in a 3 digit of usd way per cpu unit)compared to the time the flagship went for like 200-300 instead of 700+ it goes for nowadays again those designs too needed rnd those designs too needed expensive (for the time) assembly lines which were also less efficient (=more expensive/wasteful) yet they sold at the price they sold which was much lower than the price they sell today even when we take inflation into account 
e.g the intel Q6700 which was the high end quad core of intel on 2007 for desktop consumer PCs -despite the 450 usd google brings up- was sold for about 180-220 euro it may have had this inflated price the first couple of months when it launched this used to happen back in the day but like after that very short period this was the sale price... nowadays the flagship consumer CPU launches at 600+ euro and stays at that until the new generation comes and even then the reduction isnt that bit e.g the 12900K still sells for 470+ euro... new... )