AM4 M.2 Freezes while Gaming, 100% Active Time

Mozburg

My M.2 NVME SSD(s) are "freezing" with 100% active time in Task manager.

This only happens when gaming, and only in graphically intensive games (3dmark does not cause this issue), sometimes the PC will reboot itself but 9/10 I have to shut it off via the power button. Control, Vampyr, Half-life Alyx all cause this issue. if the SSD that "freezes" is my secondary one I can use the system just fine unless I try to access any files on that SSD. If the C drive "freezes" than the whole OS freezes up but usually i can still move the cursor around. Temps on everything are good. It started happening within the last 2 weeks, but may have been longer before I noticed what the issue was.

I have tried:

• fresh windows install
  • removing and re-installing the SSD's
  • Only using one SSD
  • clearing the BIOS
  • Updating the BIOS
  • Updating all the drivers for the system
  • Updating the SSD's firmware (there were no updates)
  • Updating/downgrading graphics card driver
  • setting PCIE to gen3
  • disabling C-states
  • Checking the SSD's (chkdsk, smart, samsung magician, WD dashboard)
  • Checking the OS (DISM)
  • Swapping PSU
  • Removing all USB devices (sans keyboard and mouse)
  • Different m.2 slots

SPECS

• CPU: Ryzen 5 5800x
  • MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Master rev 1.2
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 founders
  • PSU: Corsair H1200x
  • RAM: G.skill Trident Royal 4000 cl14
  • SSD 1: WD Black SN850x (freezes)
  • SSD 2: Samsung 970 evo (freezes)

I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix this, I can say 2 months ago everything was running perfect. At this point I've already spent over 12 hours debugging and doubt a repair shop would want to mess with a custom water-cooled computer.

I decided to completely take the pc apart and put it back together and wiped both drives. With ONLY Steam and Control installed it ran fine… until it crashed.

I installed the chipset drivers from Gigabyte AND THE PROBLEM REAPPEARED 

Used a system restore point and Control ran fine again… until it crashed and now the PC won’t boot and just blue screens with “Critical Process Died” 

😭

I've installed a SATA SSD and installed Windows 11 on that, with only Steam and Control installed it seems to be running fine.

Seems to be an issue isolated to the M.2 NVME drives

Tested the 970 EVO (an m.2 NVME which has worked for over a year) in both the top and bottom M.2 slots both cause the crash when playing Control on a completely fresh windows install. I'm fairly certain the issue is caused by either the X570 aorus master or the 5800x, I'm going to get a 5800x3d to slot in to see if that fixes the issue, as I think the IO die in my current 5800x is failing. 

WELP. Seems a new CPU was the ticket; I'll have to do more testing but so far Control is running fine, and the issue hasn't cropped up. Damn shame it seems my 5800x fell on its face but at least I got an excuse to upgrade. I'll update later this week with my final conclusion or if the issue persists. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 3:37 PM, Mozburg said:

WELP. Seems a new CPU was the ticket; I'll have to do more testing but so far Control is running fine, and the issue hasn't cropped up. Damn shame it seems my 5800x fell on its face but at least I got an excuse to upgrade. I'll update later this week with my final conclusion or if the issue persists. 

CPU did not fix the issue, unfortunately it took nearly the entire return window to show up again, as far as i can tell the issue is related to the m.2 pcie controller on the motherboard, as when running windows OS and Control off a traditional sata ssd the m.2 drives disconnect, and i get an error "the specified device does not exist". I suspect I'll have to replace my motherboard.

• 8 months later...

Did you end up resolving your issue, I belive I'm experiencing the same issues in Alan Wake 2, Dead Space, and FF7R.