New Office PC

Captain Matt
Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3dyqmr

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($139.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $288.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-16 23:45 EST-0500

Something like this would be ideal. You do also need memory if you're upgrading to a modern platform. You can go even cheaper if you want to. The motherboard may need a bios update but this MSI motherboard has a BIOS flashback button meaning that you don't need CPU, or memory to update the BIOS.

Budget (including currency): $300-400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Lots of Chrome tabs. OS is already on SSD and I HATE slow response... Occasionally photoshop for basic graphic editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My AMD FX 8350 / AM3 motherboard decided to go kaput after like 10 years of use. Rest in peace.

Tried a new CPU. Tried a new PSU. Nope. It's the mobo that's dead.

It's virtually impossible to source something 

Just need a new CPU and motherboard combo. Would prefer to stay as close to $300 as possible.

I don't care if it's AMD or Intel. I have a GTX 760 which helps out with the occasional graphics work so iGPU isn't a big deal.

EDIT: I already have 8gb G.SKill Ram.

Motherboard Reqs:

- 6 SATA ports ideally

- PWM fan control (can't stand a loud system

- ATX size preferred

I'm 100% out of the loop on CPU's and chipsets.

I'm very open to last gen stuff.

This will not be used for gaming. Just want a fast responding machine.

May run 2 monitors later. All 1080p.

11 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

My AMD FX 8350 / AM3 motherboard decided to go kaput after like 10 years of use. Rest in peace.

What mobo?

Did it die suddenly while you were using it or did it just die overnight or something similar to that?

And dead as in no display or dead as in the thing dont wanna turn on at all?

If the board isnt fixable by a simple dunk in water (cleaning the board) then id consider it dead and go find another board. But can you really not find any am3+ boards on your local used market?

Cheapest way seems to just be swapping the board if a simple clean doesnt fix your current board, but if theyre stupid overpriced or just unavailable then look at ivy bridge and haswell cpus since h boards are cheap and ivy should be depreciating in price, a cheap i5 or xeon e3 1220 v2/3 should do

23 minutes ago, Captain Matt said:

Budget (including currency): $300-400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Lots of Chrome tabs. OS is already on SSD and I HATE slow response... Occasionally photoshop for basic graphic editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Just need a new CPU and motherboard combo. Would prefer to stay as close to $300 as possible.

I don't care if it's AMD or Intel. I have a GTX 760 which helps out with the occasional graphics work so iGPU isn't a big deal.

Motherboard Reqs:

- 6 SATA ports ideally

- PWM fan control (can't stand a loud system

- ATX size preferred

I'm 100% out of the loop on CPU's and chipsets.

I'm very open to last gen stuff.

This will not be used for gaming. Just want a fast responding machine.

May run 2 monitors later. All 1080p.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjHhbh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($128.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($156.99 @ Newegg)  (Cheapest ATX Wifi Am4 board is This for some reason.  Non WIFI board https://pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max (90$)

Total: $285.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-16 23:41 EST-0500 (You have more than enough power for the next 10 Years with this)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($48.99 @ Amazon)

Something like this would be ideal. You do also need memory if you're upgrading to a modern platform. You can go even cheaper if you want to. The motherboard may need a bios update but this MSI motherboard has a BIOS flashback button meaning that you don't need CPU, or memory to update the BIOS.

11 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You can get identical memory for $10 less.  Corsair doesn't make modules it's all the same at this price point:

Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5) - PCPartPicker

Though frankly, for a non-gamin build that an 8350 was sufficient for, a 5500 would be the most CPu I'd get.  If the 1600 was available for like $50, that'd actually be a better value.

Oh wait, here:

This is objectively a better board and a CPU that is still leaps and bounds faster than the fx8350.  It's a little slower than the 5600, but both are still way more CPU speed than anything OP is gonna do with the system.  Any modern CPU (as in the last decade) with an SSD and enough RAM will do any of that stuff at the speed of a click.  And it's still a hyperthreaded hexacore with a way faster and more efficient architecture than any fx chip.

ryzen 5 2600 motherboard combo | eBay ($140)

Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5) - PCPartPicker ($38)

Total: $178, mission accomplished.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

11 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

What mobo?

Did it die suddenly while you were using it or did it just die overnight or something similar to that?

And dead as in no display or dead as in the thing dont wanna turn on at all?

If the board isnt fixable by a simple dunk in water (cleaning the board) then id consider it dead and go find another board. But can you really not find any am3+ boards on your local used market?

Cheapest way seems to just be swapping the board if a simple clean doesnt fix your current board, but if theyre stupid overpriced or just unavailable then look at ivy bridge and haswell cpus since h boards are cheap and ivy should be depreciating in price, a cheap i5 or xeon e3 1220 v2/3 should do

Yeah exactly - Stupid overpriced or unavailable.

Tried swapping the battery and the board is NOT dusty virtually at all. I keep my PCs pretty clean with canned air.

It's time to let this one die.

11 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

You can get identical memory for $10 less.  Corsair doesn't make modules it's all the same at this price point:

Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5) - PCPartPicker

Though frankly, for a non-gamin build that an 8350 was sufficient for, a 5500 would be the most CPu I'd get.  If the 1600 was available for like $50, that'd actually be a better value.

Oh wait, here:

This is objectively a better board and a CPU that is still leaps and bounds faster than the fx8350.  It's a little slower than the 5600, but both are still way more CPU speed than anything OP is gonna do with the system.  Any modern CPU (as in the last decade) with an SSD and enough RAM will do any of that stuff at the speed of a click.  And it's still a hyperthreaded hexacore with a way faster and more efficient architecture than any fx chip.

ryzen 5 2600 motherboard combo | eBay ($140)

Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (SP016GXLZU320BDAJ5) - PCPartPicker ($38)

Total: $178, mission accomplished.

I bought that my FX 8350 in like Feb 2014 for my bday. 🥹

It did me good for a long time!

As an office processor, c'mon. Way too much heat and power draw, even if it gets the job done.

4 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

I bought that my FX 8350 in like Feb 2014 for my bday. 🥹

It did me good for a long time!

As an office processor, c'mon. Way too much heat and power draw, even if it gets the job done.

The 8350 or the 2600?

Yeah definitely don't buy a new board for the 8350, but that cpu/board combo I found on eBay would be a steal for your workload.  It won't use fore than a few watts if you aren't gaming.

I mean your monitor is gonna use way more power than anything in your tower when you're doing office work, the CPU is not hot if you're not gaming.

If you already have 8GB or RAM, you're probably good but if you want 16GB make sure the dimm you buy matches the one you already have.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

6 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

Yeah exactly - Stupid overpriced or unavailable.

Tried swapping the battery and the board is NOT dusty virtually at all. I keep my PCs pretty clean with canned air.

It's time to let this one die.

Not neccesarily so

Sometimes i come across mint condition boards that just no post for no reason, and then you open the heatsinks

Actually got one right now and couldnt figure out why it wasnt posting, and then i took the northbridge heatsink off cause i figured the thing may be cracked, saw abit of dust but luckily not cracked, immedeatly after taking the heatsink off i retested the board and now it posts just fine

Pretty hilarious the amount of perfectly fixable boards ive found, and my only fixing method is via cleaning (either 99% IPS or dunk in water)

The current minimum for of our office desktop computers are i5 class, 16GB of ram with a 250GB SSD and are usually a Lenovo pre-built.  Whatever you get make sure it is at least stable hardware a lot of cheap components aren't very stable.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

23 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Not neccesarily so

Sometimes i come across mint condition boards that just no post for no reason, and then you open the heatsinks

Actually got one right now and couldnt figure out why it wasnt posting, and then i took the northbridge heatsink off cause i figured the thing may be cracked, saw abit of dust but luckily not cracked, immedeatly after taking the heatsink off i retested the board and now it posts just fine

Pretty hilarious the amount of perfectly fixable boards ive found, and my only fixing method is via cleaning (either 99% IPS or dunk in water)

I don't have time for any more downtime. You wanna buy my old AMD Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board?

I've got an FX 8350 and an FX 6300.

Tested with both and no fix.

Assuming the CPU's are still good.

Ordering B450 A Pro Max and 5600G today!

Thanks for the help!

I'm very impressed with the stats on the 5600G...
Can play games without a GPU?
And it's like $112?

Diminishing returns big time on trying to get sub $100.

And the board is very highly rated. 4.5 stars and 1,000+ reviews.

3 hours ago, Captain Matt said:

Ordering B450 A Pro Max and 5600G today!

Thanks for the help!

I'm very impressed with the stats on the 5600G...
Can play games without a GPU?
And it's like $112?

Diminishing returns big time on trying to get sub $100.

And the board is very highly rated. 4.5 stars and 1,000+ reviews.

Dont buy a new b450 unless its price is very close to used b450 pricing, otherwise you may aswell just buy a b550 like the b550m pro4 or pg riptide

On 2/19/2023 at 12:55 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Dont buy a new b450 unless its price is very close to used b450 pricing, otherwise you may aswell just buy a b550 like the b550m pro4 or pg riptide

They cost 30 to 40$ extra and don’t offer any worthwhile features especially given their stated use.

Hey all,

Looks like the PSU is dead. CPU light is on on this motherboard and I already flashed to the latest BIOS which is supposed to support 5000 CPUs.

Got the system all assembled and just running VGA cable to monitor.

So I think I need a new power supply.

I'm going to try running without a GPU.

What's something budget that will run the AMD 5600G CPU and a few hard drives?

(MAYYYBBEEE GPU in the future but probably something OLD and GTX x60 series)

I was DONE fiddling with shipping parts back and forth. Went to the local PC repair guy who said RAM is incompatible.

RAM Compatibility on this board is god awful. The worst I've EVER seen on any board. These 5000G series CPUs are PICKY AS F.

I'm returning the board and going with ASUS.

I'm looking at their RAM spec on their website and even with my VPN off, Google searches for these EXACT model names is leading me to sites in Euros or Rp. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I can either pay out the ass for a ugly green sticks of RAM, or return the board and pick a motherboard that's already compatible with the RAM I have.

Not mad at anyone here. Lesson learned about RAM compatibility on these CPU's...

Will probably go with ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus. Love ASUS boards.