2080 Super fans not spinning in idle, then spin at max speed after literally seconds of load

davidrf
Go to solution Solved by davidrf,

For the record the card is gone. I changed the thermal pads but the problem was there just the same. I think Vrams are somewhat deteriorating and there's virtually nothing I can do.

EDIT: please see post #6

Hi there, a friend of mine has this issue since a couple of days. Gigabyte 2080 super fans are not spinning, then as soon as he launches a 3D application or game, the fans start spinning directly at maximum speed, and in a random period of time between a couple of minutes and a hour the system crashes with a black screen. What could it be? Thanks a lot! 

(Again: it's NOT my system in signature, it has the same mainboard, a ryzen 5600 and the 2080 super).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16GB PC 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GIS  | GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 4070 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Cooling: Thermalright PA 120 SE

14 minutes ago, davidrf said:

Hi there, a friend of mine has this issue since a couple of days. Gigabyte 2080 super fans are not spinning, then as soon as he launches a 3D application or game, the fans start spinning directly at maximum speed, and in a random period of time between a couple of minutes and a hour the system crashes with a black screen. What could it be? Thanks a lot! 

(Again: it's NOT my system in signature, it has the same mainboard, a ryzen 5600 and the 2080 super).

it is maybe due to a Wrong fan curve use MSI afterburner to change the curve and it prob fix the issue

Ironically, I've been having significant black screen + crashing issues with my Gigabyte 2080 Super as well... and I have seen some others complain about it too.

There is a good chance the card is on its way out. I am not sure what the cause is, as I was not able to fix mine. This seems to be exhibiting the same symptoms, somewhat.

At the very least: The card by default turns off the fans below about 55C so it is in silent mode. You can override this fan curve with MSI Afterburner or any other GPU overclocking program. But based on the black screen thing, the card is probably dying.

Looks like the card overheat super fast and crash

Did you try cleaning & repaste?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Mhhh he says after the system gets a black screen, at reboot the GPU temperatures are of 40° (?) and just before it crashed again he saw in MSI Afterburner temperatures of 58° so at this point I'm beginning to think the problem is not the GPU...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16GB PC 3200 F4-3200C16D-32GIS  | GPU: MSI Geforce RTX 4070 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Cooling: Thermalright PA 120 SE

Hi there! So, I swapped my 1080 with my friend's 2080 Super. As you can see from the pics I changed the thermal paste but I did NOT have thermal pads on hand, and they look like that. Could they be a problem?

ANYWAY

I tried the GPU with MSI Kombustor and ran a bunch of tests, many minutes each. Not a single problem and temperature never higher than 65° (pretty low). Then I launched PUBG... and it crashed with black screen and fans spinning at maximum speed in less than A MINUTE! And I could still hear sonds and I managed to regularly shut down the computer by pressing the power key... it was just the video signal missing! What the hell?

Also, my friend told me with some games the GPU does that black screen thing (Elden Ring, Automobilista 2) and with other games he can play for HOURS without a single problem (MXGP 2021 and a bunch of others).

What the hell is going on? Thanks a lot

8b1cdd47-f140-4aec-908c-722152ca8554.jpg

b3d53c8b-038d-4379-86d5-a2dadcce564c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For the record the card is gone. I changed the thermal pads but the problem was there just the same. I think Vrams are somewhat deteriorating and there's virtually nothing I can do.