Real world power usage i7 13700k VS Ryzen 7900

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new system, and the first and hardest decision is CPU.

The Intel 13th gen non-k paper launch was very very disappointing, so I'm looking at either i7 13700k or the Ryzen 7900 (yes, the non-x version with a decent MOBO so that I can overclock if I need in 5-7 years).

I'm baffled that all around the internet all I see are "All core full synthetic load power consumption" benchmarks. This is cute, but completely useless. In reality, my CPU will be running idle (web browsing, online meetings, emails, light MS Office, background downloads etc) for 8-12 hours a day,  then be used for some gaming, some Airvideo encoding, occasionally some video/photo editing.

Do you know of a good real world power consumption test? I know "my mileage may vary", but I'm specifically interested in the comparison. I'm interested in power consumption while idle, during light gaming (1080p 60fps esport-like titles), and during AAA gaming.

Why doesn't anyone do this (I found literally 1 video and 0 articles)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWxAdKK4Xg

The only video I found.

With a green mindset, the current energy prices, and with my plan on running this thing for 10+ years, yes, power consumption matters.

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, vacip said:

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new system, and the first and hardest decision is CPU.

The Intel 13th gen non-k paper launch was very very disappointing, so I'm looking at either i7 13700k or the Ryzen 7900 (yes, the non-x version with a decent MOBO so that I can overclock if I need in 5-7 years).

I'm baffled that all around the internet all I see are "All core full synthetic load power consumption" benchmarks. This is cute, but completely useless. In reality, my CPU will be running idle (web browsing, online meetings, emails, light MS Office, background downloads etc) for 8-12 hours a day,  then be used for some gaming, some Airvideo encoding, occasionally some video/photo editing.

Do you know of a good real world power consumption test? I know "my mileage may vary", but I'm specifically interested in the comparison. I'm interested in power consumption while idle, during light gaming (1080p 60fps esport-like titles), and during AAA gaming.

Why doesn't anyone do this (I found literally 1 video and 0 articles)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWxAdKK4Xg

The only video I found.

With a green mindset, the current energy prices, and with my plan on running this thing for 10+ years, yes, power consumption matters.

Thank you!

My understanding is that AMD just kills Intel on power generally.  So both low and high. The new intel stuff is still pretty good though. Idle power draw is going to be pretty low with either. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Power consumption is where the Ryzen 9 7900 really shines and despite the fact that it hardly lags behind the Ryzen 9 7900X and even matches the Core i7-13700K in some tests, the system only draws 200W, That was 125W less than the Ryzen 9 7900X and 186W less than the Core i7-13700K.2023

this link below is the source of the information

https://biz.crast.net/amd-ryzen-9-7900-vs-core-i7-13700k-which-one-should-you-buy/

9 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Power consumption is where the Ryzen 9 7900 really shines and despite the fact that it hardly lags behind the Ryzen 9 7900X and even matches the Core i7-13700K in some tests, the system only draws 200W, That was 125W less than the Ryzen 9 7900X and 186W less than the Core i7-13700K.2023

this link below is the source of the information

https://biz.crast.net/amd-ryzen-9-7900-vs-core-i7-13700k-which-one-should-you-buy/

This is a good one, thank you!

Still, I have a feeling that idle power draw with the e-cores might be in favor of Intel. I'll keep looking.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My understanding is that AMD just kills Intel on power generally.  So both low and high. The new intel stuff is still pretty good though. Idle power draw is going to be pretty low with either. 

Well, I have heard that too, but they usually talk about full load, and not idle. In theory, the e cores in the intel CPU could make a huge difference in idle/low load power consumption. Or is it just a marketing thing?

well is suppose you need someone to do something like his.

I have a 1920 480 ips screen hooked up to my PC as a dedicated AIDA64 inforamtion panel CPU GPU utilazation etc etc.

I am running a 5900x and whilst my browser is open and typing my reply to you the vpn is open and connected chrome has 19 tabs open and my cpu is not really idle as i am doing things but it is rock steady and hovers between 39 and 44 watts. utilization is very low and hovers between 1^% abd 2% just browsing the web abd typing.

the CPu temp is only 29 -30c

If others have the intel chip or the AMD chip  that you are enquirng about maybe they might post their results. ??

used intel for 20 years plus and the 5900x is my first AMD build but i am seriously impressed. with its efficiency across the board.

2 hours ago, vacip said:

Well, I have heard that too, but they usually talk about full load, and not idle. In theory, the e cores in the intel CPU could make a huge difference in idle/low load power consumption. Or is it just a marketing thing?

The e cores are what make it as close as it is. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

well is suppose you need someone to do something like his.

I have a 1920 480 ips screen hooked up to my PC as a dedicated AIDA64 inforamtion panel CPU GPU utilazation etc etc.

I am running a 5900x and whilst my browser is open and typing my reply to you the vpn is open and connected chrome has 19 tabs open and my cpu is not really idle as i am doing things but it is rock steady and hovers between 39 and 44 watts. utilization is very low and hovers between 1^% abd 2% just browsing the web abd typing.

the CPu temp is only 29 -30c

If others have the intel chip or the AMD chip  that you are enquirng about maybe they might post their results. ??

used intel for 20 years plus and the 5900x is my first AMD build but i am seriously impressed. with its efficiency across the board.

32 watts from a 12700 non-k.  A much weaker chip though. 

true but i am running a 34 inch monitor an rtx 3080  also a pci card to run an extra gen 4 ssd along with 3 ssds attached to the motherboard another 2tb ssd mounted to a cheap pci daughter card for backups all whilst messing around replying here watching youtube a lots of tabs open in a browser and my VPN is running and i even have the game Eve Online ruunning in the background salvaging wrecks whilst I type this replyand still only 50.04 watts so that is a real test . everything uses a little CPU ????

back again just ran 6 missions in game leaving everything else running in the background..not good when gaming but my CPU was steady at 78 - 87 watts the spike to 87 i paid attention and it was when fighting a cluuster of enemy ships. No idea if the info is helpful to you in any way but the CPU seems to be very efficient...I also pay attention to my powerbills as I have been unemployed since the start of covid and too old to get another job. so utlity bills are something i do pay attention to. Took this into consideration when I built the PC. 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

back again just ran 6 missions in game leaving everything else running in the background..not good when gaming but my CPU was steady at 78 - 87 watts the spike to 87 i paid attention and it was when fighting a cluuster of enemy ships. No idea if the info is helpful to you in any way but the CPU seems to be very efficient...I also pay attention to my powerbills as I have been unemployed since the start of covid and too old to get another job. so utlity bills are something i do pay attention to. Took this into consideration when I built the PC. 18 months ago.

Thank you Johnno23, actually very helpful.

I'm hoping to get similar info from others.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=830

negligible difference in power consumption in idle and single threaded load

only gets nuts at full power, which rarely ever happens since most apps don't even tap those e-cores 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x