Upgrade Path?

Go to solution Solved by Ripred,

The motherboard is fine, and have enough room for really solid upgrades id keep it until your ready to totally build out a new computer, id say first find a monitor you like depending on the spec will largely impact our best suggestions for instance, if you go with a 1440p and up you can get away with that CPU and put the rest of your budget on a nice GPU (within reason of course no current flagship GPU's) because the GPU in those situations due most of the heavy lifting, if you get another 1080p higher refresh monitor it'll be more of a balancing act between GPU/CPU

Hey All,

I'm wondering if you could perhaps recommend to me whether I should upgrade, and what to?

I'm running a:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

MSI Gaming Plus MAX X470 Motherboard

MSI RX580 Armor 8GB OC GPU

Corsair Vengeance 16GB CL16 3200MHZ (2x8GB)

Should mention, Only have a 650w power supply, so any upgrade would have to fit within the parameters of that. 

Also don't want to go balls to the wall mega expensive either, I mainly play GTA 5 and will play (whenever it may be) GTA 6 among Trucks sims etc.
I'm from the UK also, so anything available in that market.

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread

It would help to have an actual budget figure to work with... "balls to the wall mega expensive" can mean very different things to different people.

We're still a long way away from knowing any system requirements for GTA6 so we can't really plan around that.

What kind of display do you play your trucking sims on, or what kind of display(s) would you like to play them on?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

It would help to have an actual budget figure to work with... "balls to the wall mega expensive" can mean very different things to different people.

We're still a long way away from knowing any system requirements for GTA6 so we can't really plan around that.

What kind of display do you play your trucking sims on, or what kind of display(s) would you like to play them on?

Apologies, I should have perhaps added budget to (I'm running on not a lot of sleep) haha.

Okay, so I am currently running a like 11 year old AOC monitor probably only capable of displaying up to 720P at 60HZ. 

In terms of Monitor upgrades, I already have planned what I should get pretty much 1080p at probably double the refresh rate previously mentioned.

With upgrade path I was thinking, more the CPU/GPU kind of lines. Whilst I don't think the CPU needs an upgrade necessarily for my use cases (At least not yet)

In my opinion maybe perhaps my motherboard and GPU do, so budget wise let's say £500/$606 and all my other things like PSU fans etc will stay the same

If you do have any monitor recommendations also, a max budget of £200/$242 for that

13 minutes ago, DazzerJ said:

Apologies, I should have perhaps added budget to (I'm running on not a lot of sleep) haha.

Okay, so I am currently running a like 11 year old AOC monitor probably only capable of displaying up to 720P at 60HZ. 

In terms of Monitor upgrades, I already have planned what I should get pretty much 1080p at probably double the refresh rate previously mentioned.

With upgrade path I was thinking, more the CPU/GPU kind of lines. Whilst I don't think the CPU needs an upgrade necessarily for my use cases (At least not yet)

In my opinion maybe perhaps my motherboard and GPU do, so budget wise let's say £500/$606 and all my other things like PSU fans etc will stay the same

If you do have any monitor recommendations also, a max budget of £200/$242 for that

The CPU is okay there's more to be gained GPU side, a 6750XT is 250% of a 580...

You could get a nice 1080p 144Hz+ monitor and something like a 6750XT GPU I suppose (£450)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

8 minutes ago, DazzerJ said:

You can get a Ryzen 5600 and an RX 6600 XT under £500 and be set for anything at 1080p right now.

You are spoiled for choice on high refresh rate 1080p monitors under £200: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#D=100000,390000&r=192001080&X=0,20182&sort=price&page=1 But if you're an avid driving sim player I would really think about expanding your display budget a little and looking intro ultrawides. Although it's still only 60hz, something this under £300 would make your experience a lot more immersive, I think, and modern midrange cards should easily be able to handle games with 2012-16 era system requirements like American and Euro Truck Simulator at 3440x1440. No promises about future AAA titles, though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, DazzerJ said:

Hey All,

I'm wondering if you could perhaps recommend to me whether I should upgrade, and what to?

I'm running a:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

MSI Gaming Plus MAX X470 Motherboard

MSI RX580 Armor 8GB OC GPU

Corsair Vengeance 16GB CL16 3200MHZ (2x8GB)

Should mention, Only have a 650w power supply, so any upgrade would have to fit within the parameters of that. 

Also don't want to go balls to the wall mega expensive either, I mainly play GTA 5 and will play (whenever it may be) GTA 6 among Trucks sims etc.
I'm from the UK also, so anything available in that market.

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread

Your CPU will be fine for a while unless you demand uber high frame rates. I'd definitely look into a quality 1080p monitor, a more recent GPU, like a RX 6600XT and at least 16 GB total RAM. For the record, I'm still using a Ryzen 5 2600, RX 5700 and a 1080/60hz monitor. I have yet to hit a wall, as far as new games my system is able to play at 60 fps medium to high settings.

The motherboard is fine, and have enough room for really solid upgrades id keep it until your ready to totally build out a new computer, id say first find a monitor you like depending on the spec will largely impact our best suggestions for instance, if you go with a 1440p and up you can get away with that CPU and put the rest of your budget on a nice GPU (within reason of course no current flagship GPU's) because the GPU in those situations due most of the heavy lifting, if you get another 1080p higher refresh monitor it'll be more of a balancing act between GPU/CPU

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~