Brand New PNY RTX 4070 Ti stuck at 825 MHz - I've tried everything

JerryLG

Hello everyone! I need some help here!
A few days ago I bought off of Amazon a PNY 4070 Ti. Thing is, it just won't go past 825 MHz, therefore having terrible performances. Benchmarks, Games, whatever I throw at it, stuck at 825 MHz.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Reseating the GPU

- Plugging the GPU with a single cable to the nVidia adapter

- Plugging the GPU with two cables to the nVidia adapter

- Setting all energy savings (nvidia and windows) to max performance

- uninstalling drivers with DDU

- installing drivers manually

- installing drivers via geforce experience

- fresh install of W10

- fresh install of W11

Everytime the same result, on superposition benchmark I get around 7 frames in 4k, which is pathetic. My config is as follows:
Mobo: B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev 1.2

CPU: Ryzen 5600

RAM: Kingston Fury 3600C17 2x8

PSU: iTek GF750 Evo

One thing I've noticed is that if I load up GPU-Z, the only tracking I can see is the temperature and current clock. Everything else appears to be offline.

I'm considering sending it back to Amazon, looking for solutions in the meantime (as Amazon would just refund, rather than send another one, but I've got it for cheaper than current price)

Thanks, hoping some genius has some idea I didn't think of

Send it back. You've done basically everything a sane person should be expected to do.  GPUs being stuck at certain (low) frequencies is sometimes a sign that they're broken in some fashion (my old 2080 had a similar issue), and its certainly nothing you want to have hanging over you when we're talking about an 800$ GPU.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Return it. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Amazon right now won't send a replacement for now (maybe it's out of stock?), only a refund. Not looking for a refund right now, so I can wait a few days if it comes back in stock. In the meanwhile I'm trying everything. Definitely a refund will be my last resort, so I'm not too worried. I have a 3060 meanwhile, so I'm kinda covered

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 2:02 PM, JerryLG said:

Hello everyone! I need some help here!
A few days ago I bought off of Amazon a PNY 4070 Ti. Thing is, it just won't go past 825 MHz, therefore having terrible performances. Benchmarks, Games, whatever I throw at it, stuck at 825 MHz.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Reseating the GPU

- Plugging the GPU with a single cable to the nVidia adapter

- Plugging the GPU with two cables to the nVidia adapter

- Setting all energy savings (nvidia and windows) to max performance

- uninstalling drivers with DDU

- installing drivers manually

- installing drivers via geforce experience

- fresh install of W10

- fresh install of W11

Everytime the same result, on superposition benchmark I get around 7 frames in 4k, which is pathetic. My config is as follows:
Mobo: B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev 1.2

CPU: Ryzen 5600

RAM: Kingston Fury 3600C17 2x8

PSU: iTek GF750 Evo

One thing I've noticed is that if I load up GPU-Z, the only tracking I can see is the temperature and current clock. Everything else appears to be offline.

I'm considering sending it back to Amazon, looking for solutions in the meantime (as Amazon would just refund, rather than send another one, but I've got it for cheaper than current price)

Thanks, hoping some genius has some idea I didn't think of

Hi, I just having the same issue after switching 1080ti to 4070ti. After searching through the internet, this specific "825 Mhz" was caused by the PCIE issue. The others and I happen to use PCIE gen 3 extension cable, and after setting the PCIE to gen 3 in bios, everything goes back to normal. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2023 at 7:40 PM, lowpassfilter said:

Hi, I just having the same issue after switching 1080ti to 4070ti. After searching through the internet, this specific "825 Mhz" was caused by the PCIE issue. The others and I happen to use PCIE gen 3 extension cable, and after setting the PCIE to gen 3 in bios, everything goes back to normal. 

Finding this just saved me from the exact same issue. Same card with gen3 riser in SSUPD case.

Mine:

Gaming Tower (last rebuild 2012): i7 3770 (non-K) sitting in an ASRock z77 Extreme 4 also housing 12GB of RAM (Crucial Ballistix...LEDs...pre-RGB craze).  Cooled by an Antec Kuhler AIO water cooler.  This is powered by a SeaSonic M12ii 750 PSU.  Windows 10 is displayed on a combo of a 28" 4k Samsung UE590 and an older 22" Samsung FHD monitor; driven by an ASUS ROG Strix nVidia GTX 1070.  Illuminated by a set of CoolerMaster RGB fans and an RGB strip, all wrapped in Corsair's C70 black case.  Input accepted by a Logitech K800 illuminated wireless keyboard and G602 wireless mouse.  Sound provided by onboard audio via 5.1 Logitech surround sound or JVC HARX900 Headphones or gaming on Logitech's G533 wireless headset.

Server: Dell r710 running unRAID. 2x 6c/12t Xeon E5649, 72GB RAM, 10.3TB main array + 4TB cache, RAID 1 x 256GB SSD cache.

Main portable: HP Elite x2 1012 G2 - Core i5, 8gb ram 256gb nvme.

Zombie portable (literally thought it died...powered on years later headed for the e-waste pile): Dell Venue 11 pro.

Handheld: Samsung Galaxy Note 9.