rant: Youtube keeps obscurifying their platform

betalars

So I was about to make a post to ask you guys reproduce if latest the wan-show was shadowbanned by YouTube.

• it didn't show up in the playlist (probably the fault of someone at LMG)
  • it also didn't show up in the all videos feed.

And that's because there's a second life stream feed, so the all videos tab actually no longer contains all the videos.

*sigh* why do they gotta obscurity everything?

24 minutes ago, betalars said:

So I was about to make a post to ask you guys reproduce if latest the wan-show was shadowbanned by YouTube.

And that's because there's a second life stream feed, so the all videos tab actually no longer contains all the videos.

I prefer live streams being separated from uploaded videos. A lot of creators do ancillary live stream content daily or weekly, that clutters up the videos page.

I don't really need to see 600 2-3 hour live streams interleaved between the 30ish produced videos uploaded to the channel for example.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Fair point.
I suppose this could be salvaged with giving creators more control over how their site is strucutres, but then again.

Youtubes Problems are always at scale, I keep forgetting.

19 minutes ago, betalars said:

Fair point.
I suppose this could be salvaged with giving creators more control over how their site is strucutres, but then again.

Youtubes Problems are always at scale, I keep forgetting.

I'm on the otherside, vs Takumidesh. I find it annoying that they separate the live videos, and (at least among those I follow) see no reason to distinguish. It's a relatively small thing once you know where to look, but I'm not a fan, and also spent too long thinking something was wrong the first time it happened.

8 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

It's a relatively small thing once you know where to look, but I'm not a fan, and also spent too long thinking something was wrong the first time it happened.

I think it's a question of a thousand papercuts, because mixing streams and videos is annoying VS having a big jarring break at some point.

For consistency sake, I totally see why you would want to do the current setup, as shorts also rightfully have their own section.

Then again, the WAN-Show being buried is kind of a bummer, but it only affects hard core fans.

1 hour ago, betalars said:

I think it's a question of a thousand papercuts, because mixing streams and videos is annoying VS having a big jarring break at some point.

For consistency sake, I totally see why you would want to do the current setup, as shorts also rightfully have their own section.

Then again, the WAN-Show being buried is kind of a bummer, but it only affects hard core fans.

Yeah, I'd still love an "All" tab somewhere, even if it's at the far right, etc. I just like to view full timelines chronologically usually.

Nah. Would be the best if users could decide what they see; I'd set up a view of just standard videos and live stream VODs, shorts can DIAF.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

12 minutes ago, Sarra said:

shorts can DIAF.

but users want to see shorts 🤷‍♀️

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

5 hours ago, betalars said:

Thats actually been a demanded feature for a LOT of creators because of how live streams can mess with metrics and watch time. 
I prefer it seperated

Though I do wish that update had more visibility for end users to know about it. 

49 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

but users want to see shorts 🤷‍♀️

I don't.

I have them blocked using uBlock. They just appear as an empty space, to me, and I don't miss them.

Some channels are just one video per line, if that. o.x

12 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I don't.

I have them blocked using uBlock. They just appear as an empty space, to me, and I don't miss them.

Some channels are just one video per line, if that. o.x

based on the near oppressive success of tiktok and the huge adoption of short form video content on pretty much every social media platform, I think that puts you in the minority lol.

Sorting different types of content is not "obscurifying." Some people would argue it's clarifying. 

There are things YouTube's done that are legitimate causes for complaint along this line (like the fact it's no longer possible to sort videos by oldest first) but this isn't one.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

based on the near oppressive success of tiktok and the huge adoption of short form video content on pretty much every social media platform, I think that puts you in the minority lol.

Get off my kids, you lawn! D:<

I mean, I like tossing something on, then listening/half watching it while I play a game on another monitor. Shorts aren't conducive to this, since I have to constantly pause and click crap on the second machine, so it makes sense that I don't care for it.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:11 AM, Middcore said:

Sorting different types of content is not "obscurifying." Some people would argue it's clarifying. 

there's an interesting discussion to be had here, and there's no perfect solution.

A UI with all the things visible at all the time is not clear to read at all, but putting all the things into boxes and categories will inevitably obsucify your AI, especially as there are many conventions on where some UI Elements are expected to be found.

Still: this thread has me convinced the current implementation is probably more useful compared to having it tangled on the same page.