Windows Memory Diagnistic runs instead of booting from USB

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check my memory health because Windows keeps freezing after gaming for awhile.

But after clicking "restart now", the PC restarted but WMD won't run. I tried this twice.

So I burn Memtest86+ to a USB drive and select it from boot menu. Now suddenly WMD runs!

What the heck is going on? Is it actually my PSU that's dying? Is it my motherboard? Or is it damaged system files?

Update: WMD shows no memory error. So that leaves Windows, PSU, or motherboard as the culprit.

i7 4770

Asus Z87-K. Optimized defaults except fan speed.

Kingston 1600 8GB

V-Gen 1333 4GB

Two 2.5" SATA SSD

Two 3.5" HDD

Powercolor RX 570 4GB

FSP Hexa+ 400w

When my PSU was dying games never froze I would just crash to the desktop.

Also the WMD tool does need time and on boot when I last ran it the screen was black for quite an extended period of time before I got any visual indication that it was in fact running.

Side effect of interuppting and reboot will force windows into a self diagnostic after the thrid failure.........also you have a chance that even the Bios kicks in and resets itself to defaults if you iterrupt and fail to boot properly.

So maybe nothing the heck is going on and just possibly you were a little impatient...that is however uncertain.

I suggest you try to get into windows and then after making sure your system is running ok re attempt the WMD and be patient as even my hardware which is modern and fast that test can seem to take forever. run go make a coffee for example do not sit looking at your screen as it is more frustrating than waitng for the kettle to boil.

8 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

When my PSU was dying games never froze I would just crash to the desktop.

Also the WMD tool does need time and on boot when I last ran it the screen was black for quite an extended period of time before I got any visual indication that it was in fact running.

Side effect of interuppting and reboot will force windows into a self diagnostic after the thrid failure.........also you have a chance that even the Bios kicks in and resets itself to defaults if you iterrupt and fail to boot properly.

So maybe nothing the heck is going on and just possibly you were a little impatient...that is however uncertain.

I suggest you try to get into windows and then after making sure your system is running ok re attempt the WMD and be patient as even my hardware which is modern and fast that test can seem to take forever. run go make a coffee for example do not sit looking at your screen as it is more frustrating than waitng for the kettle to boil.

Thank you for the reply, but as I had stated in the updated post, the memory diagnostic is finished and found no problem.

I also have ran system file checker (sfc /scannow) and it does finds some errors and have corrected them.

I will try to run the game again to see if it freezes again.

sounds like a good plan but really and truly any memory test is only helpful if there is a major issue with the memory.

minor issues seldom show up and often the memory is fine but simple things like XMP enabled can cause issues as a game suddenly freezing or having odd errors. XMP is simply put an overclock and works well for counless millions of users compared to those that have an issue with it. Myseld I have it switched off as I do have 2 games that on my system react badly with it enabled. Warframe is the main one as it can work fine and then crash without reason  Switching it off I have no issues but others run Warframe with XMP enabled and have no problems... i put it down to a case of  "Thats life on PC gaming"