Need a PSU to finish my 4090 build

NukaColaEnjoyer

Hey guys, almost finished my build thanks to the super helpful community on here, still missing a couple parts though : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2gNHMb

It needs a top quiet modular PSU that doesn't use those subpar Nvidia power adapters. Does that mean I'm looking for an ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 PSU? 

Ideally, I would potentially like enough room to upgrade to something like a 5090 later down the road and I will very likely get a UPS for it as well, I needed one anyway for work.

Also, don't hesitate to critique the build if you feel it's needed, I'm always open to quality feedback. The two SSD's I already own so can't change that, and didn't go for an AIO cooler because the 13900K will be power limited for efficiency and I don't feel comfortable with liquid cooling. The MOBO choice is down to using an alternative Ethernet controller since I know Intel's can have big connection drop issues which doesn't sounds fun at all. Regarding the rest of the build, don't want to lose any performance from it even if better value elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

The MOBO choice is down to using an alternative Ethernet controller since I know Intel's can have big connection drop issues which doesn't sounds fun at all.

who said that?

32 minutes ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

13900K will be power limited for efficiency

soo.....Why get in the first place?

It is by definition the most stock OC part ever made by INTEL.

It only exists for bragging rights? no?

So you buy a part that only exists to burn as much wattage as possible and then say..."no worry, i'll limit it down"

I'm so confused.

12 minutes ago, emosun said:

who said that?

LTT Forum : 

Tom's Hardware : https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raptor-lake-motherboard-ethernet-flaw

Tech Powerup : https://www.techpowerup.com/303854/psa-intel-i226-v-2-5gbe-on-raptor-lake-motherboards-has-a-connection-drop-issue-no-fix-available

PC Gamer : https://www.pcgamer.com/some-intel-raptor-lake-motherboards-keep-dropping-wired-connections-thanks-to-a-design-flaw/

And end users on Reddit that I asked over the past few days, some of who are still experiencing issues.

9 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

soo.....Why get in the first place?

It is by definition the most stock OC part ever made by INTEL.

It only exists for bragging rights? no?

So you buy a part that only exists to burn as much wattage as possible and then say..."no worry, i'll limit it down"

I'm so confused.

I like the gaming performance and the potential to unlock productivity performance when I need for busy work periods, but will mostly limit without losing gaming performance, yes. Der8auer has convinced me it can be an efficient CPU as well.

55 minutes ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

It needs a top quiet modular PSU that doesn't use those subpar Nvidia power adapters. Does that mean I'm looking for an ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 PSU?

Yeah, those are your two choices...well third option is connector not made by NVidia...but not going to change the basic issue much. 

https://cablemod.com/faqs-category/12vhpwr-pcie-gen-5-atx-3-0/

The number of those PSU that have actually hit the market is limited...so you are looking at a pretty small pool of options.

55 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

Yeah, those are your two choices...well third option is connector not made by NVidia...but not going to change the basic issue much. 

https://cablemod.com/faqs-category/12vhpwr-pcie-gen-5-atx-3-0/

The number of those PSU that have actually hit the market is limited...so you are looking at a pretty small pool of options.

Looks like you're right, can't find many ATX 3.0 units, best I can find is be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W, I don't suppose that's enough power for the build?

Just heard Jason from PC Builder say to take the estimated wattage from my build at pcpartpicker and multiply it by 1.5X, then add another 100W for "Nvidia" tax. That's a lot of power.

30 minutes ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

Looks like you're right, can't find many ATX 3.0 units, best I can find is be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W, I don't suppose that's enough power for the build?

Just heard Jason from PC Builder say to take the estimated wattage from my build at pcpartpicker and multiply it by 1.5X, then add another 100W for "Nvidia" tax. That's a lot of power.

Yeah, hence my confusion on downclocking.

guru3d tested the chip /mb at full load at 350 watts.

That is just at stock. With a little pushing, I'm sure you could hit 400watts.

Now gaming is not going to use all cores full out....but still ....high end gpu + future proofing....i wouldn't go below 1200.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000Y3?quicklink=true

option available now on newegg.

1000 watt SHOULD be enough

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_4090_suprim_liquid_x_review,6.html

but like you say, the transient spikes are much higher than the max tested wattages over time (450 ish)

With your cpu, 1200 is more prudent

4 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

Yeah, hence my confusion on downclocking.

guru3d tested the chip /mb at full load at 350 watts.

That is just at stock. With a little pushing, I'm sure you could hit 400watts.

Now gaming is not going to use all cores full out....but still ....high end gpu + future proofing....i wouldn't go below 1200.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000Y3?quicklink=true

option available now on newegg.

Thanks, 1200W does sound like a safe bet.

This is my current psu. You don't need more than 1K unless you just have money to burn.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/659745/MEG_Ai1000P_PCIE5_1000_Watt_80_Plus_Platinum_ATX_Fully_Modular_Power_Supply

This is my former psu that was fine but I rather have the sleeve cables over the plastic ones so I swapped them out. I had this for 3 weeks and it ran my system fine.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/653708/MPG_A1000G_PCIE5_1000_Watt_80_Plus_Gold_ATX_Fully_Modular_Power_Supply

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**

I agree that 1000 is enough,

but he said he would like enough for the future, and that means who knows??

"Ideally, I would potentially like enough room to upgrade to something like a 5090 later down the road"

But of course "money to burn" seems a might ironic given the build and from a person who swaps out their PSU because of the cable sleeves.

😆

15 hours ago, mdk777 said:

"Ideally, I would potentially like enough room to upgrade to something like a 5090 later down the road"

But of course "money to burn" seems a might ironic given the build and from a person who swaps out their PSU because of the cable sleeves.

😆

Haha, I'm not sure 1000W is enough anymore! 1200W seems a safer bet, perhaps even 1350W, and I've seen a few people go to 1600W for the same build! 😮

I'm going to burn down my house, aren't I

3 hours ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

Haha, I'm not sure 1000W is enough anymore! 1200W seems a safer bet, perhaps even 1350W, and I've seen a few people go to 1600W for the same build! 😮

No, you are going to use those new "safer" connections right?All 😊

11 hours ago, NukaColaEnjoyer said:

I had the Thermaltake GF3 1650W psu and took it back because it kept causing my pc to reboot during gaming. The rep that took it back at Microcenter told me that he's heard of psu that big drawing too much power from the wall. It basically freaked out my pc and caused it to reboot to protect itself. Well it's thermaltake so it could of been just them or who knows. No issues with my MSI MEG so far, no reboot what so ever.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, mdk777 said:

😆

Well considering that it's platinum and now I don't have to buy cablemod's cable to make up the plastic part, I can say it was a fair trade off. Plus it has more pci-e cables than the MPG version, not that I need them, but it's still a benefit.

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**

11 hours ago, darkknight302 said:

I had the Thermaltake GF3 1650W psu and took it back because it kept causing my pc to reboot during gaming. The rep that took it back at Microcenter told me that he's heard of psu that big drawing too much power from the wall. It basically freaked out my pc and caused it to reboot to protect itself. Well it's thermaltake so it could of been just them or who knows. No issues with my MSI MEG so far, no reboot what so ever.

Think I overheard someone say GF3 was noisy at higher loads, the 1200W version, but could be the MOBO that's drawing an unlimited amount of power and stuff, seen some warnings about that at stock settings. So maybe look into that if haven't already.

I'm in the same boat OP, I'm have been waiting on the Seasonic Vertex line of PSUs to drop before picking up a 4090. They were supposed to be out in January, but nothing yet.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Went with the 1000W Dark Power 13 in the end after the Cultists Network community assured me 1000W can handle things like transient spikes (of up to double) perfectly fine for 4000 and 5000 series GPUs.