What percentage of WAN Shows start with a Linus apology?

Thomas A. Fine

Here's a sampling from running a quick search.

• We Made a Video you guys HATED - WAN Show July 12, 2019
  • We Messed Up - WAN Show November 5, 2021
  • I've Made a Terrible Mistake - WAN Show July 1, 2022
  • I Stand Corrected - WAN Show July 15, 2022
  • Trust Me Bro - WAN Show August 12, 2022
  • We've Made Some Big Mistakes - WAN Show November 18, 2022
  • Why Do I Keep Getting Called Out - WAN Show December 2, 2022
  • You Guys are Mad. I Get it. - WAN Show February 3, 2023

And I know I've missed some.  And there's also shows where there's an apology that wasn't the main feature.

You can expand this by also adding a list of WAN Shows where the title says Linus was mad.

(Transparency is great, I love the show, it's informative and a must-watch.  it's all just kind of funny though.)

So that I don't come across as too much of a dick (is this me apologizing for my hot take already???) here's some content, seen on Mastodon, for an upcoming Wan Show:

Apparently when you "buy" books on Kindle, they can become too old to download.  Writer said in a followup that Amazon told him to repurchase these books.

https://mastodon.online/@monro/109806264943079488

mastodon.png

5 hours ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

So that I don't come across as too much of a dick (is this me apologizing for my hot take already???) here's some content, seen on Mastodon, for an upcoming Wan Show:

Apparently when you "buy" books on Kindle, they can become too old to download.  Writer said in a followup that Amazon told him to repurchase these books.

https://mastodon.online/@monro/109806264943079488

mastodon.png

This isn’t an Amazon problem, it’s just how the book (and any other media) industry works.

Publishing rights for books change all the time. Whoever published that guy’s version of the ebook isn’t the current publisher anymore. Now there’s a slightly different version of the ebook on the storefront and the previous publisher’s version is no longer available to download because they no longer have the rights.

Amazon lets you download backups for this exact reason. If they kept offering downloads of previous revisions under different publishers, Amazon would be breaking copyright law.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 AM, Roswell said:

This isn’t an Amazon problem, it’s just how the book (and any other media) industry works.

Publishing rights for books change all the time. Whoever published that guy’s version of the ebook isn’t the current publisher anymore. Now there’s a slightly different version of the ebook on the storefront and the previous publisher’s version is no longer available to download because they no longer have the rights.

Amazon lets you download backups for this exact reason. If they kept offering downloads of previous revisions under different publishers, Amazon would be breaking copyright law.

This isn't a satisfactory answer.  It doesn't explain why Amazon told him to repurchase these books.  That means they still had some version of them.

But also, if the idea is that you buy the book, but they store it for you, why this would need to stop?

Cloud storage is not publishing.  Storing a copy of your purchases forever as a service has nothing to do with publishing rights.

31 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

It doesn't explain why Amazon told him to repurchase these books.

They told him to repurchase because the book he bought is no longer in “print”.

32 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

That means they still had some version of them.

The book is now published by someone else, yes. 

34 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

But also, if the idea is that you buy the book, but they store it for you, why this would need to stop?

That’s not the idea. Amazon sends you an ebook when you buy it, what you choose to do or not do with it is up to you. 

Once publishers change, they can no longer distribute it. They (and the previous publisher) don’t have the license to do so.

40 minutes ago, Thomas A. Fine said:

Cloud storage is not publishing.  Storing a copy of your purchases forever as a service has nothing to do with publishing rights.

Except that’s not what happened. The reason why he’s trying to redownload the book is because it’s no longer in his library (cloud backup). 

The only way to have books missing from your library is to do the whole “delete from all devices/library” thing which explicitly warns you multiple times that it’s permanent and irreversible.

Can you get lucky and have the publisher and revision remain the same 10 years later? Sure. You can’t count on that though.

You also can’t expect Amazon to literally redistribute a book that they no longer have a license to distribute.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

• 3 weeks later...

Those answers aren't really satisfactory.  And I don't even see where Amazon says i should backup my purchases, as you claim.  And they do have a Cloud Reader service that implies to me that your books are kept in the Cloud.

Nevertheless this seems to be the real (if confusing) answer.  In Their terms of service, they say "Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider."  Although frankly that sort of conflicts with the word "purchased" being used throughout their terms of service.

They also say something else fairly incomprehensible, in the same section: "Risk of Loss. Risk of loss for Kindle Content transfers when you download or access the Kindle Content."  I honestly can't even make sense out of what that really means.