i9 13900k memory speed at 4 slots

PIGINI
Go to solution Solved by mr cheese,

If it's rated at 5600MHz and has XMP for 5600MHz I'm gonna say it's most likely gonna be able to push that across all 4 slots, and even if it doesn't you could either slightly relax timings or increase voltage to tune it to working properly. 2x32GB would theoretically be more reliable but hey, 64GB is looking to be a pretty future-proof bet for right now and 4x16GB would set you up for at least another 6-8 years of computing IMO.

Hey all, I wanted to get the i9 13900k and pack it with 64 gb of ddr5 ram @ 5600 mhz. Does it make any difference if I use 2x32 kit or 4x16? I'm worried if I use all 4 slots the speed might be a bit less than 5600. 

The kit that I want (Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x32 gb ddr5 5600 MHz white) is really hard to find but I could buy 2 pairs of 2x16. 

If it's rated at 5600MHz and has XMP for 5600MHz I'm gonna say it's most likely gonna be able to push that across all 4 slots, and even if it doesn't you could either slightly relax timings or increase voltage to tune it to working properly. 2x32GB would theoretically be more reliable but hey, 64GB is looking to be a pretty future-proof bet for right now and 4x16GB would set you up for at least another 6-8 years of computing IMO.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

Im not familiar with the 13900k or ddr5, but i know as a general rule you want to try to avoid buying separate kits when possible to avoid issues. 2 kits of 2x16 is not ideal compared to a 4x16 or a 2x32 kit in order to get 64gb total, as its possible to run into issues. some people get away with it just fine, others have lots of issues getting anything over stock speeds

Depends on the mobo you get. Steer away from the budget options if they don't support the speed. 64gb of ram is overkill imo, but ig future-proofing won't hurt.

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

1 minute ago, matt0725 said:

Im not familiar with the 13900k or ddr5, but i know as a general rule you want to try to avoid buying separate kits when possible to avoid issues. 2 kits of 2x16 is not ideal compared to a 4x16 or a 2x32 kit in order to get 64gb total.

But I mean, it's the same exact brand and everything, I would just add 2 in the basket instead of 1. I thought the rule applies only to different types of kits? Again, I may be terribly wrong.

Just now, tddk25 said:

Depends on the mobo you get. Steer away from the budget options if they don't support the speed. 64gb of ram is overkill imo, but ig future-proofing won't hurt.

the mobo is Asus PRIME z790-A WIFI. Has a ddr5 support up to 7200 MHz plus overclocking.

3 minutes ago, PIGINI said:

But I mean, it's the same exact brand and everything, I would just add 2 in the basket instead of 1. I thought the rule applies only to different types of kits? Again, I may be terribly wrong.

if my memory is correct, any sticks that don't come out of the same box all together could potentially cause an issue. The newer the standard, the more likely an issue as well, and DDR5 is the newest stuff on the market. You may get away with it fine, i personally used two corsair sets i bought about 3 years apart for many years without issue, but you could also be stuck at a slower speed or even stock, especially as you go to 4 sticks.

the motherboard doesnt run the memory controller, the CPU does, so its up to how much your CPU likes the sticks you use.

I dont mean to be scary or gloom and doom, you should just know that generally it isnt seen as a good idea

Just now, PIGINI said:

But I mean, it's the same exact brand and everything

That means nothing. They can still have different memory ICs on them, and which is what actually dictates memory compatibility. 

If you buy them at the same time, they're pretty likely to be identical, but it's still not guaranteed. If getting a 2x32GB kit is an option, get that instead, 4x16GB does work at 5600 with identical kits (there are screen shots of it working at 6600, so 5600 should be no problem) but there's enough risk with 4x16GB unless you're buying rather high end kits that I can't recommend it. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That means nothing. They can still have different memory ICs on them, and which is what actually dictates memory compatibility. 

If you buy them at the same time, they're pretty likely to be identical, but it's still not guaranteed. If getting a 2x32GB kit is an option, get that instead, 4x16GB does work at 5600 with identical kits (there are screen shots of it working at 6600, so 5600 should be no problem) but there's enough risk with 4x16GB unless you're buying rather high end kits that I can't recommend it. 

Yeah I'm buying it at the same time. The entire PC is gonna be absolute overkill at 4000 (perhaps a bit more) eur. So I definitely won't be cheaping out on memory. 

The problem here is that it has to be white. The entire build is gonna be white. I can find the 4x16 kit with exact specs I want but only in black.

I guess I just have to keep looking. Thank you for the reply!

21 hours ago, matt0725 said:

the motherboard doesnt run the memory controller, the CPU does

Oh ya I forgot they moved the controller onto the sticks.

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.