Sons first build. Ryzen 5 5600x / 3060ti - mobo recommendations?

Just starting the new piece buying. Hope the price of the CPU of GPU tells what money is being spent.

B550? I'm kinda in the $150ish range. Wifi / BT not needed.

Thank you much!

** Here on the West Coast USA **

None of the mATX boards (little point to ATX for this kind of PC, why build in a bigger box than needed) in this price range have a goddamn Intel NIC from what I can see (which is what you want, they are the reliable ones, my friend has issues with his MSI board with a non-Intel NIC), so whatever is the cheapest and has a VRM heatsink is what you want. They all have PCIe 4.0 main slot and 1 PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot too, so no real differentiation there either. I'd prefer the ones from ASRock as they tend to keep a simple, easy to navigate BIOS, and I have 5 of their B450 ITX boards at work with 0 issues so far - 1 running a 3700X 24/7 for a couple years now. So my reccomendations are:

I will check the ATX boards when I have a chance and see if any of them sport Intel NICs, that would make using ATX worthwhile. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

None of the mATX boards (little point to ATX for this kind of PC, why build in a bigger box than needed) in this price range have a goddamn Intel NIC from what I can see (which is what you want, they are the reliable ones, my friend has issues with his MSI board with a non-Intel NIC), so whatever is the cheapest and has a VRM heatsink is what you want. They all have PCIe 4.0 main slot and 1 PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot too, so no real differentiation there either. I'd prefer the ones from ASRock as they tend to keep a simple, easy to navigate BIOS, and I have 5 of their B450 ITX boards at work with 0 issues so far - 1 running a 3700X 24/7 for a couple years now. So my reccomendations are:

I will check the ATX boards when I have a chance and see if any of them sport Intel NICs, that would make using ATX worthwhile. 

Wow, nice, thank you a bunch! So glad you brought up the vrm heatsinks, that I would have over looked.

Clean BIOS like you said, glad you mentioned that too !

Both of those I would have overlooked in persuit of features. But as you said, slots etc, pretty much the same.

Look forward to your find on the NIC's if you get the chance.

Thanks again!!

Cheers

Im assuming you want MBD recommendations.

I would go with B550 or B450, with your price you will want to go with b550 board with Bios Flashback.

Gigabyte Gaming X v2 is a good budget board, no real special features but it works fine. And the VRMs are beefy enough for a 5800x3d.

Asus TUF Gaming Plus WIFI this board and the non wifi version go in and out of stock regularly. If you can get it for around 170 ish its a good price.

MSI MPG GAMING plus i dont know too much about this one but it looks good, has more SATA ports than the others if you need that and currently seems to be the cheapest so far.

Finally the Gigabyte Aorus Elite Any of the Aorus boards are really good gaming boards with gaming features. The most expensive currently on the list 

Out of this list i would recommend the MSI board as the best cheap board. 
I have the Gaming X board and it works fine although the other boards seem better currently
The ASUS board is like a good middle-ground between the AORUS and MSI boards. If you can find it for around 160-180usd i would grab it.
The AORUS board is the best GAMING feature board on this list

I would stay away from ASrock boards at this price point as they tend to not have bios flashback. Which you may want if you intend to upgrade in the future.

56 minutes ago, Awesomon2234 said:

I would stay away from ASrock boards at this price point as they tend to not have bios flashback. Which you may want if you intend to upgrade in the future.

What upgrade? AM4 is a dead platform. Any chip you can put in these boards will either already be supported by any BIOS that runs a 5600X, or for the 5800X3D easily upgraded to using the 5600X. Flashback is for when you need to install a BIOS without a supported CPU. 

If OP plans to run the hungrier chips in future, then VRMs could be something to think about though, that is a fair point. 

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

Look forward to your find on the NIC's if you get the chance.

Cheapest board with an Intel NIC looks to be an ASRock X570 Steel Legend, $139.99 on the dot as it's 10% off on Newegg (MSRP seems to be $155 or so): https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax/index.asp#Specification. The non-Wifi version is currently more expensive at $149.99, so yay I guess at least the bluetooth is handy even if you don't use the wifi bit of the (also intel) wifi card. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 2/3/2023 at 12:58 PM, Awesomon2234 said:

Im assuming you want MBD recommendations.

I would go with B550 or B450, with your price you will want to go with b550 board with Bios Flashback.

Gigabyte Gaming X v2 is a good budget board, no real special features but it works fine. And the VRMs are beefy enough for a 5800x3d.

Asus TUF Gaming Plus WIFI this board and the non wifi version go in and out of stock regularly. If you can get it for around 170 ish its a good price.

MSI MPG GAMING plus i dont know too much about this one but it looks good, has more SATA ports than the others if you need that and currently seems to be the cheapest so far.

Finally the Gigabyte Aorus Elite Any of the Aorus boards are really good gaming boards with gaming features. The most expensive currently on the list 

Out of this list i would recommend the MSI board as the best cheap board. 
I have the Gaming X board and it works fine although the other boards seem better currently
The ASUS board is like a good middle-ground between the AORUS and MSI boards. If you can find it for around 160-180usd i would grab it.
The AORUS board is the best GAMING feature board on this list

Wasn't going one way or another, but I really appreciate that detailed layout of those boards. That gives me great relief. 

Wifi isn't needed for this build, liking those ideas. The beefy VRM's on the GB X v2 might just seal it for me. 

And the BIOS flashback is another selling point that you brought up, thank you!

Weeding out the 96% is what I was looking for and hopefuly points made on the rest.

Cheers and TY!

On 2/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, Zando_ said:

What upgrade? AM4 is a dead platform. Any chip you can put in these boards will either already be supported by any BIOS that runs a 5600X, or for the 5800X3D easily upgraded to using the 5600X. Flashback is for when you need to install a BIOS without a supported CPU. 

If OP plans to run the hungrier chips in future, then VRMs could be something to think about though, that is a fair point. 

Cheapest board with an Intel NIC looks to be an ASRock X570 Steel Legend, $139.99 on the dot as it's 10% off on Newegg (MSRP seems to be $155 or so): https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax/index.asp#Specification. The non-Wifi version is currently more expensive at $149.99, so yay I guess at least the bluetooth is handy even if you don't use the wifi bit of the (also intel) wifi card. 

Stay away from the AM4's with the 5600x? As you mentioned, the chances of upgrading the CPU option.... down the road is a must on my end.

Maybe I should have initially said in the first post that I kinda don't want to get locked into a mobo that in two years, theres no CPU upgrade path 😉

Thank you for pointing out the Newegg boards. On that NIC issue you brought up in the beginning, where those driver issues possibly that have been corrected maybe later on?

I'd be a little surprised if any manfucature would sell boards with flaky NIC's for long period of time.

Thank You too Zando, getting narrowed down! 

43 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

Stay away from the AM4's with the 5600x? As you mentioned, the chances of upgrading the CPU option.... down the road is a must on my end.

Maybe I should have initially said in the first post that I kinda don't want to get locked into a mobo that in two years, theres no CPU upgrade path 😉

Then yeah, you will want to skip AM4, as the 5800X3D is the last chip made for it. 5950X for productivity or 5800X3D for gaming are the top SKU chips. AM5 should get at least the 8000 series, I don't think AMD has promised the same super long support for that as they did for AM4 though. But Intel usually only keeps compatibility for 2 generations of chips, so 14th gen will most likely require a new motherboard, meaning the 13900K is where current motherboards will top out. So AM5 is the best bet if you want the newest CPU options without needing to buy a new board down the road.

47 minutes ago, Bender Blues said:

On that NIC issue you brought up in the beginning, where those driver issues possibly that have been corrected maybe later on?

Not sure what the issue is honestly. I use all old HEDT boards that have always just had Intel gigabit NICs, never had issue with them. All I've seen for non-Intel gigabit/2.5G NICs is that they're generally less reliable. Though googling it now, there's a whole thread of people having issues with the latest Intel ones (though it does seem to be mostly/all 2.5G models), so maybe everyone's just having a rough time: https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-ongoing-issues-with-the-intel-i225-v-rev_03-2-5-gbps-nic.1796635/page-3. Might not be as worth worrying about as I thought, unless you had other PCIe devices planned you can just add in an ethernet NIC via PCIe card if the built-in one is unreliable.

Main PC