New Build Project From a Budget-Conscious Burrito

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

I can vouch for the edup PICe wireless card, good stuff in spite of the no-name brand

25 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Her listed GPU is fine for her needs..and 70$ cheaper

Budget (including currency): USD $1,000 (+/- USD $100 if need be)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily live-streaming, minor editing workloads, running multiple programs at once (i.e. virtual webcam, OBS, audio software), games not current gen but as recent as approx. 2018 or so (i.e. the Bandai-Namco Tales series, Arma series) but as old as DOS-era

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Upgrading from an AMD Ryzen 7 3700U workstation, worked previously off of an old HP Workstation running a very dated Intel CPU that cost almost pennies to replace. Not expecting anything mind-blowing or competitive (definitely wanting to stick to an AMD focus, though), but definitely powerful enough that I'm not gonna drop frames and can run comfortably with while still having some room to upgrade later down the line. Made the mistake of cutting corners and buying a compact workstation in hopes I wouldn't need much more, but with my current plans, I don't feel confident that continues to be the case. Attaching a parts list from PC Part Picker of about as far as I've gotten, with the current cost hitting around USD $1,010.88; however, if it's at all possible to optimise it further I'd be greatly appreciative. I plan to also run it by my local PC parts store to get their take on things to make sure I'm making as much of an informed decision as possible. Trying to keep a black and red motif going, but if I have to make adjustments based on cost, I might drop that entirely and save appearances for when I have a bit more cash to play around with. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the huge wall of text!

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 06.24.06.png

I assume everything in list you are buying right?

Cooler is badn and overpriced.

Makes no sense to buy B450 and bad WiFi card.

SSDs also make absolutely no sense whatsoever, You are wasting money.

Case is also bad and overpriced. 

PSU is overpriced.

Here is edited list with a better parts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($179.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B550M-VC WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($64.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 319 Core Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Montech AIR 100 ARGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1008.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-03 10:21 EST-0500

25 minutes ago, Lesburrito said:

I plan to also run it by my local PC parts store to get their take on things to make sure I'm making as much of an informed decision as possible.

Not to be mean, but I've talked to some dim people in local shops, I would be CAUTIOUS.

11 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I can't vouch fot this one (I have had great experiences with Samsung and their RMA department, so I would recommend them), but agree with everything else.
You can get USB WiFi dongles for about 10USD, I have one and it works, although I will always recommend a cable if you need reliability.

Edited by Bismut
WiFi

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

I can vouch for the edup PICe wireless card, good stuff in spite of the no-name brand

25 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Motherboard: MSI PRO B550M-VC WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 

Neglected to mention I would need to most likely update the BIOS to make it compatible with the CPU

Rest seems solid enough, minus the dig at a Samsung drive and the inclusion of slightly more pricey RGB parts

19 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Not to be mean, but I've talked to some dim people in local shops, I would be CAUTIOUS.

The guys seem good enough, but I'll keep that in mind. Not planning on buying parts today or anything, just getting a feel for things so I don't burn my flat down or a hole in my wallet.

22 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I can't vouch fot this one (I have had great experiences with Samsung and their RMA department, so I would recommend them),

I accidentally drowned a 1TB Samsung external SSD drive and it is still chugging along, so I'd say they're a solid bet.

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Thought that was an odd inclusion, too.

1 minute ago, Lesburrito said:

or a hole in my wallet.

I have to laugh a bit here, your definition of "budget" and mine are worlds apart.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

22 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have to laugh a bit here, your definition of "budget" and mine are worlds apart.

Best-case, I'd wanna spend like $500 but unfortunately that's not how economics works so my entire savings for last year it is lol

Just now, Lesburrito said:

Best-case, I'd wanna spend like $500 but unfortunately that's not how economics works so my entire savings for last year it is lol

I just built a 300$ system to play Cyberpunk 2077. ALL settings on "high" (sans ray-tracing, because the GPU isn't an RTX) and it runs buttery smooth, as does Minecraft with shaders, Doom on max settings, etc. I was quite pleased.

Chinese salvage "x99" board, 14core/28thread Xeon e5-2690 v4, and a GTX 1060.

But I was willing to go used on the parts, which saved a ton of dosh

Why the  separate storage?

1 TB SSD drives go on sale often for the price you are paying for two drives that only total 750

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-1tb-force-mp600/p/N82E16820236824?Item=N82E16820236824&quicklink=true

otherwise, just picking things up on sale can save 5 or 10 here and there.

today you can get a 750 corsair on sale for 95$...yeah only a savings of 10$

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm750e-750-w/p/N82E16817139300?Item=N82E16817139300&quicklink=true

But I have seen better sales in the recent past.

It adds up if you are willing to space out your purchases a while.

1 hour ago, Lesburrito said:

Neglected to mention I would need to most likely update the BIOS to make it compatible with the CPU

Rest seems solid enough, minus the dig at a Samsung drive and the inclusion of slightly more pricey RGB parts

Motherboard should not need BIOS update.

250GB drive for 48$ is nothing more than a waste of money. Team MP34 has almost same performance as 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, It's slightly slower, But nothing noticable, It is only 10$ more 😄 

There is non RGB variant of same cooler, It is very good cooler.

For case I included RGB case because it comes with enough fans from start, There aren't any non RGB cases that include enough amount of fans. 

1 hour ago, Bismut said:

I can't vouch fot this one (I have had great experiences with Samsung and their RMA department, so I would recommend them), but agree with everything else.
You can get USB WiFi dongles for about 10USD, I have one and it works, although I will always recommend a cable if you need reliability.

That doesn't change the fact that 970 Evo Plus is waste of money, Especially 250GG. Also Team is a very reputable brand. 

17 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

That doesn't change the fact that 970 Evo Plus is waste of money, Especially 250GG. Also Team is a very reputable brand. 

well , the brand or even the speed is not so important as the size.

250gg is really too small of a boot drive. Yeah, I have a bunch of programs installed , but my boot drive is closer to 500.

There is always a price point where the unit cost is cheapest. 

1 stick of SSD is usually cheaper than 2.  Today the sweet spot is 1GB.

Often at 2GB you can get sales and get your cost PER GB down even lower...but yeah you are still paying for 2X even if it is discounted down to  1.7X

BESIDES COST,

There is also the value of life. It is better to run at 50% capacity and load level out.

Yeah, SSD may last longer than you live, but it is still better than running a 250 GG boot drive filled to 90% capacity.

3 hours ago, Lesburrito said:

Not planning on buying parts today or anything

It would be impressive, a sort of PC building speedrun

drowned

...in water?

Thought that was an odd inclusion, too.

I could see why tbh, it's a better GPU and the upcharge is within the budget. Why have smol boring thing when big shiny thing haveable?

Best-case, I'd wanna spend like $500

*slaps roof of used market*
This bad boy can give so many great deals

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Exactly this

2 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Also Team is a very reputable brand

I have seen the name, just couldn't put a face to it and couldn't recommend it because of that. Didn't want to come off all negative.

1 hour ago, mdk777 said:

250gg is really too small of a boot drive.

Some people (that aren't me) manage to keep their boot drive incredibly clean, I could see the appeal there. Partitioning off a small section of a bigger drive should be better in almost all cases tho, unless you auto-backup the boot drive onto the bigger one.

Trans Rights!

10 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Some people (that aren't me) manage to keep their boot drive incredibly clean, I could see the appeal there. Partitioning off a small section of a bigger drive should be better in almost all cases tho, unless you auto-backup the boot drive onto the bigger one.

I have 1tB SSD and Windows partition is only 200GB, It is perfectly enough for that even tho I have quite a lot of programs installed.

Problem is not 250GB Boot drive, Problem is it's price. 

You can get slower 1TB drive for 50$ that would still be much better option than 250GB boot drive and SATA drive. 

3 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I have 1tB SSD and Windows partition is only 200GB, It is perfectly enough for that even tho I have quite a lot of programs installed.

The functional advantage of partitions ended with the SSD era.

Problem is not 250GB Boot drive, Problem is it's price. 

Yes, I already said that the price of the 1TB was better than the two separate drives listed.

However, again,...every review of small SSD and every new generation of controllers looks at the amount of degradation in speed when you start to reach capacity.

Yes, the software load leveling and predictive wear has come a long way over the years.

However, you are better running significantly under full capacity to this day.

If you want to pull up an article that says a boot drive will not suffer when filled up I'd be happy to read it and change my mind.

It is perfectly enough for that even tho I have quite a lot of programs installed.

I envy people like you. I have 500GB and ~30GB free

Trans Rights!

2 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I envy people like you. I have 500GB and ~30GB free

Full transparency, my 5 year old SSD still shows 99% life with SMART, so I am not saying your SSD is going to die tomorrow.

I am just saying that best practices remain the same regardless.

Apple just REDUCED the speed of their entry level SSD because they ignored best practice.

Their controller was designed to assess multiple memory chips.

On their entry level they went with one large memory chip....so they crippled the controller, reducing speed.

That is just planning to fail. No reason to do it!!

SSD are cheap and capacity is coming down in price.

There is no reason to PLAN to fail by crippling your new technology from the start.

17 hours ago, mdk777 said:

The functional advantage of partitions ended with the SSD era.

It did not. If you have one drive and you don't partition it next time windows update fails or something happens to windows your every file on drive is screwed.

Even if you don't save personal files on same drive, you should still partition drive and install games and big programs on second partition. If there is any kind of issue with windows it becomes quick windows reinstall without deleting most of your data. Yes, If you are technical enough you can rescue data even if windows doesn't boot up, But partitioning drive takes a second. 

yeah, everything is backed up two ways to Sunday in the cloud for me.

MS Drive, google drive...etc. 

But I see your point regarding being able to access the SSD easily from multiple systems/ OS

By functional I was specifically references speed of data, and wear improvement on the HDD.

Defragging and partitions used to actually make your HDD work better, now it has no benefit for the SSD. 

On 2/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Motherboard should not need BIOS update.

PC Parts Picker disagrees with you.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, mdk777 said:

250gg is really too small of a boot drive. Yeah, I have a bunch of programs installed , but my boot drive is closer to 500.

For Win10? Did they roll out a massive update or something that bloated the necessary space or am I just dense? 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:38 AM, Bismut said:

It would be impressive, a sort of PC building speedrun

Any% Speedrun: Buying Random Components

On 2/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, mdk777 said:

Why the  separate storage?

Wasn't sure which was better to boot off of. Got 10TB of spare HDD storage floating around, not planning on shelling out for all SSD storage out the gate.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:32 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Way way WAY too many bad experiences buying used tech from anyone. Would rather pay overhead for new than roll the dice again for the chance of MAYBE not getting burned again.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:05 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

It did not. If you have one drive and you don't partition it next time windows update fails or something happens to windows your every file on drive is screwed.

Isn't that the exact reason why you have multiple system backups?

On 2/3/2023 at 9:22 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

For case I included RGB case because it comes with enough fans from start, There aren't any non RGB cases that include enough amount of fans. 

Fair enough, I suppose.

Sorry for delayed responses, been wrapped up with other non-computery stuff hdhhddh. 

1 hour ago, Lesburrito said:

Way way WAY too many bad experiences buying used tech from anyone. Would rather pay overhead for new than roll the dice again for the chance of MAYBE not getting burned again.

Fair enough!

6 hours ago, Lesburrito said:

For Win10? Did they roll out a massive update or something that bloated the necessary space or am I just dense? 

Your boot drive has functions other than storing your software.

MS by default uses the C drive for page filing for example.

There is nothing to be gained from a second SSD.

1. You will now have two controllers/ pcie lances  competing  on the cpu

2. more reads and writes on a smaller SSD = less life

A larger SSD is rated for longer life because there is more memory to load level across.

A larger SSD is rated for faster reads and writes because there are more chips for the controller(on the SSD not the CPU) to access

Finally as I mentioned, it is actually less expensive (you are only buying one stick) 

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100011693 600038493 601342076 601362175 601362178 601384255 601384938 601384999 601356716 4027&Order=1

For the same price to 20$ more you get :

25% more capacity and 2x the speed and improved life.

If you don't want the extra speed, you can simply get more capacity at a lower price. 

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-1tb-sn770/p/N82E16820250217?Item=N82E16820250217

Still much faster than your choices actually. 250 EVO

Max Sequential Read Up to 3500 MBps
Max Sequential Write Up to 2300 MBps
4KB Random Read QD32: Up to 250,000 IOPS
QD1: Up to 17,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write QD32: Up to 550,000 IOPS
QD1: Up to 60,000 IOPS
MTBF  1,500,000 hours
Features
Features Reliability: 150 TBW

western 770

Max Sequential Read Up to 5150 MBps
Max Sequential Write Up to 4900 MBps
4KB Random Read Up to 740,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write Up to 800,000 IOPS
Terabytes Written (TBW) 600 TBW
MTTF 1.75 Million hours

So, 2x the write speed, nearly that in read and 4X the life (TBW)

for the same price(less) as your two listed 

22 hours ago, Lesburrito said:

PC Parts Picker disagrees with you.

PCPartPicker says it may need BIOS update. It shouldn't need, Because manufacturers flash new BIOS when they manufacture motherboards, Considering that how long Ryzen 5000 series CPUs have been out I very much doubt you'll get motherboard with old BIOS. Even if you need BIOS update motherboard I recommended has BIOS flashback.

This already have been discused and answered here, I don't think I need to explain it again unlees last part of this sentence is true 😄 

Isn't that the exact reason why you have multiple system backups?

Well, 99% of people don't do backups... 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, mdk777 said:

There is nothing to be gained from a second SSD.

(…)two listed 

Mentioned already I was only planning on buying ONE drive, and just listed two as I wasn’t sure which was better. Thanks though.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:24 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

This already have been discused and answered here, I don't think I need to explain it again unlees last part of this sentence is true 😄 

Only recently saw the comprehensive explanation just above your own, most other responses seemed a bit divided and inconsistent, but ye I am a bit thick at times lol

On 2/7/2023 at 12:24 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Well, 99% of people don't do backups... 

Something as simple as a cloud backup is so insanely easily accessible and straightforward there’s basically no excuse to not have a backup, not to mention Windows practically begs users to make a recovery disc/drive. It’s like getting into a car and cutting out the safety belts before driving, then being surprised at what happens in even a minor accident.