Issue with RAID

So I tried to set up a RAID 0 array using two IDENTICAL Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB drives today. I set up the raid using my Asus Z77 Sabertooth's on board RAID controller, all seemed good, the RAID volume of 4TB was created.

Rebooted to check out said raid volume, blue screened... Deleted RAID volume, changed SATA mode back from RAID to AHCI, booted into Windows and what do you know, now I only have 1 2TB HDD... The second drive still shows up in the bios, but disk manager fails to see it.

Anyone got ideas on how to fix this?

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.

The Green Machine.

When you setup a RAID 0 array you need to reinstall your OS :)

My english isn't perfect :D sorry

I believe RAID 0 is not compatible with bootdrives over 2TB. Maybe two 2TB drives won't work? Do you have two drives that are the same but different from these two? You could try those out. Best of luck!

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

Thanks guys, it's all up and running now.

The Green Machine.

I believe RAID 0 is not compatible with bootdrives over 2TB. Maybe two 2TB drives won't work? Do you have two drives that are the same but different from these two? You could try those out. Best of luck!

I'm using my SSD for boot, the raid is for storage

The Green Machine.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes no sense to use raid 0 for storage, it has duble the probability of failing and if you lose 1 drive you lose everything. You are much better of if you use No raid or raid 5, but in this case you need 3 drives.

PD: Your system is awesome

It makes no sense to use raid 0 for storage, it has duble the probability of failing and if you lose 1 drive you lose everything. You are much better of if you use No raid or raid 5, but in this case you need 3 drives.

PD: Your system is awesome

Thanks,

I have a new 2TB sitting around, waiting to make a RAID 5 with it, just haven't done it yet.

The Green Machine.