Seagate Exos X16 [ST14000NM001G] vs Seagate Exos 7E10 [ST4000NM000B]

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

What exactly are you looking for? These drives are completely different in terms of capacity.

The 7E10 is a newer version of their Exos series and the model you give in the title is a 4TB drive. The X16 is a slightly older version and the model you give is a 14TB drive. They are very similar in terms of performance, but the X16 has more capacity because it's a 14TB model instead of a 4TB one.

Hello,

I am a VFX artist, and I am planning to buy an internal HDD for storing/writing simulation caches from Houdini. I am trying to figure out the differences between the Seagate Exos X16 and the Seagate Exos 7E10.

Which one makes more sense to buy as a one-time investment, considering the price difference?
What are the main differences between the Seagate Exos X16 (priced at ₹25,188/$308.22) and the Seagate Exos 7E10 (priced at ₹13,288/$162.60)?
Any insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Can you tell us more about these "Caches"? Usually when software has a Cache of something, it needs faster than normal access to said files. a Hard drive is not a fast piece of storage.

5 minutes ago, billbill said:

There are some hard drives that are fairly quick but they have a high fail rate. 

What is fairly quick to you?

What exactly are you looking for? These drives are completely different in terms of capacity.

The 7E10 is a newer version of their Exos series and the model you give in the title is a 4TB drive. The X16 is a slightly older version and the model you give is a 14TB drive. They are very similar in terms of performance, but the X16 has more capacity because it's a 14TB model instead of a 4TB one.

9 hours ago, whispous said:

Can you tell us more about these "Caches"? Usually when software has a Cache of something, it needs faster than normal access to said files. a Hard drive is not a fast piece of storage.

A Houdini cache is a file that stores the results of simulations and other heavy computations, allowing for faster playback and iteration. By saving the cache, artists can avoid having to wait for simulations to re-compute each time they make a change to a scene, which can be particularly useful when working with large datasets or complex simulations.
Example: Making an explosion

10 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Yes, I agree, while they are completely different in terms of storage capacity, the Seagate Exos X16 is priced at ₹25,188 ($308.22) and the Seagate Exos 7E10 is priced at ₹13,288 ($162.60).
And if you are saying they are very similar in terms of performance, I think it makes more sense to go for 14tb looking at Price-quality ratio. Anyway, I was going to upgrade the 4tb one again in future if I bought it, so in total I would have 8tb. But that would cost me more as I can get more storage at the same price if I do one time investment today, hope this all make sense.