VHS Remastering

leznis

Hello, recently I've tried de-interlacing and upscaling VHS cassettes, but I ran into some issues.

First part - standard VHS:

I have a Sony VHS player (an old one, obviously), and a cheap, low quality Analog-to-Digital capture card (photo nr.1).

When I was recording the cassettes, the video came through on my screen, and was recorded there, so I lost any info on the interlaced VHS.

Question 1. - Capture card

Will better capture card make the video or audio a little bit more clear? I mean, of course it's still VHS video, but what difference could there be between cheapest capture card and the best, most popular one? I have Roxio or Digitnow in mind, since many people have showcased it on youtube.

Question 2. - What software, and how should I save it?

If we assumed the signal is going through the best capture card, in which container, what extension should I save it in? What software should I use? I know Roxio has it's own recording software, and maybe I'll look forward to obtain it, but I need to know which ones are saving videos in good quality, in color, and WITH metadata. So here's my next question..

Question 3. - Interlaced video and metadata

The main reason I'm doing this is to de-interlace my videos, but since I saved these VHS with inadequate software, they don't contain any info on anything. I believe I recorded my screen back then, so that's that.

Will recording these videos with software like Roxio's change anything? The point is that upscaling software, that also de-interlace the video, does it wrong. I tried Hybrid and Hand-Brake. Youtube tutorials show that the video really is de-interlaced and looks like a normal, digital one. In my case, the video gets "wobbly", and distorted (photo nr. 1 - original; photo nr. 2 - deinterlaced). I think it's because of my wrong way of saving the VHS before.

The issue can be seen on my screenshots below. (the wobbliness)

What should I change to make my VHS cassettes look better? I want to see them de-interlaced and not wobbly.

Second part - Mini DV

It's similar to the VHS issue, as every video is getting wobbly as well (after de-interlacing it).

It's worth noting, that I didn't use FireWire to capture the videos, but used AV Cables instead. I wasn't able to use firewire at the time, so the signal went from digital, to analog, then again to digital (captured with same same software like before)

Question 1. - FireWire

It's possible for me now to use FireWire card plugged into my PC. This will allow me to capture the videos in original quality with all of the metadata. So after doing that, will de-interlacing actually work? If anybody here did the same thing, please help me out, step-by-step guide would be appreciated. I think it would change a lot, since the signal doesn't change to analog.

Question 2. - Again, software

Will mini DV cassettes require other software? If not, I'd like to have one, that would be proper for both - VHS and Mini DV videos.

To summarize - the real problem is in de-interlaced videos. If I were to upscale original, interlaced videos, the upscale wouldn't work well, because it's trying to do something with these lines picture by picture.

Thanks in advance for any reply, this topic is just really confusing for me, because I can't find any youtube videos or tutorials on the web on how to properly record and remaster VHS.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask them below.

71jw6+okstL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

interlaced.jpg

deinterlaced.jpg