I7 3770 which motherboard?

what would be my best motherboard option for the I7 3770, sapphire vapor x R9 290, 16gb ram?  I have had a few people tell me to stay away from the z77, why?

thanks for your help I have no clue on how to pick a motherboard.

What's your budget? And Z77 boards are great.

Edit:

Nevermind, I read it as 3770k

Case: Silverstone TJ07 CPU: i5 3570K Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Dominator Platinum 8GB GPU: SLI GTX 970 G1 Storage256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 3TB WD Green PSU: Corsair RM850 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Cooling: Water cooling with acrylic tubes HeadphonesPhilips Fidelio X2 DAC: Schiit Modi Amp: Schiit Vali

They're telling you to stay away from Z77 because you are buying a locked chip and would be spending extra money on an overclocking chipset for nothing. 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Im taking the chip out of my current setup witch is a dell 8500. the chip is labeled  i7-3770, 77w, 4C, IVB, what if I might want to upgrade later?

Im taking the chip out of my current setup witch is a dell 8500. the chip is labeled  i7-3770, 77w, 4C, IVB, what if I might want to upgrade later?

You won't need to upgrade. the only upgrade available is a 3770K which is a waste of money to upgrade to on that socket.

what features do you need ? multiple videocards(later), wireless lan and so on? what form factor ? atx, matx  itx ? and of course you dont waste your money on a z77 board if you are using this cpu

what features do you need ? multiple videocards(later), wireless lan and so on? what form factor ? atx, matx  itx ? and of course you dont waste your money on a z77 board if you are using this cpu

Point is, you can only do SLI on z77 boards. If he plans to add a 2nd card he should go with a z77 board

Too clarify I am building my own rig with a new case and everything. I plan on using the cpu, ssd and the hdd out of my old dell 8500 to save money maybe the 16gb ram if it will work. I already purchased a R9 290. I would like to have any upgrade options In the future so I don't have to buy a new motherboard if I purchase  a i7 4770k.

muti gpu's maybe a some point, wireless lan prob wont use, will a z77 work with my cpu? that would allow me to upgrade later to a i7-4770k right. just looking for a board that has upgrade options if I decide too. also want it to look good. im going with the sapphire vapor-x over the tri-x due to the blue color and better cooling.

z77 will work with it fine. you can grab it if you want to upgrade later to 4770k but imo not worth it.

pretty much I'd suggest is.

grab a cheaper h77 motherboard then finish your rig and by the time you want to upgrade you will be using a new motherboard and cpu (and most likely a new gpu too) and when that happens just migrate most of your other parts and move on.

Live your life like a dream.

what h77 board do u recommend?

Depends on whether you care about this system. I have a XPS 8500 and I would've gave it a proper Z77 board to rest on, because Z77 boards are usually built for overclocking hence have more features/better cooling, etc.

The stock Dell MB is a severely neutered H77. 

Any H77 board. Maybe something from Asus: P8H77-V

P.S. A Z77 board should allow you to gain +400 mHz over the default max turbo. up to 4.3GHz single core, 4.1Ghz quad.

z77 will work with it fine. you can grab it if you want to upgrade later to 4770k but imo not worth it.

pretty much I'd suggest is.

grab a cheaper h77 motherboard then finish your rig and by the time you want to upgrade you will be using a new motherboard and cpu (and most likely a new gpu too) and when that happens just migrate most of your other parts and move on.

if he wants to upgrade to 4770K he needs to change board since Z77 will never work with 4th gen Cores

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Just get an H77.

The LGA 1155 platform is no longer supported. The only upgrade you can make is from that to an unlocked version which isn't worth it.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

if he wants to upgrade to 4770K he needs to change board since Z77 will never work with 4th gen Cores

yeah but he said he will take the 3770 off his current dell 8500 which means he already has the processor.

buying a 4th gen mobo will make him spend more for the processor. so no point buying the z87.

that's why I recommend him to buy the h77 mobo so by the time he wants to upgrade there would be a 5th gen or maybe even a 6th gen by that time.

yeah but he said he will take the 3770 off his current dell 8500 which means he already has the processor.

buying a 4th gen mobo will make him spend more for the processor. so no point buying the z87.

that's why I recommend him to buy the h77 mobo so by the time he wants to upgrade there would be a 5th gen or maybe even a 6th gen by that time.

I guess I'm kinda confuse when I read your first post, but I agree with that explanation.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

There is not a point because Z87 is LGA1150 and the 3770 is LGA1155. They're of completely different generations. There's absolutely no reason to consider 8-series boards.

Not sure what you mean by 5th and 6th gen...

There is not a point because Z87 is LGA1150 and the 3770 is LGA1155. They're of completely different generations. There's absolutely no reason to consider 8-series boards.

Not sure what you mean by 5th and 6th gen...

I think you didn't get my point.

-He has a 3770 (already on his hand, house etc.)

-He is looking for a motherboard so I recommend him the H77 motherboard since he has a locked cpu (non K)

-I posted that there is no point getting z87 since H77 or ivy is a lga1155 while the 4th gen (haswell) is a lga1150 so it won't fit.

-By the time he wants to upgrade if he ever get the H77 there would be broadwell or skylake or whatever comes after.

over view

-Buy H77 lga1155 socket. (he already have 3770 from us dell system).

-Upgrade in a couple of years where there would be a soon to be 5th gen or 6th gen intel processors (they might be called something else I don't know it's the future after all).

I hope you understand it better now ^_^.

note: to save money he can just buy off some decent but cheaper h77 motherboard compared to buying a Z77 motherboard where he won't even use it to it's capabilities.

It's like buying some very expensive sports car but riding it out on a traffic place (my area in my country has traffic 24/7 lol QQ)

unless of course I mistake someone else's system

by looking at this quote.

Too clarify I am building my own rig with a new case and everything. I plan on using the cpu, ssd and the hdd out of my old dell 8500 to save money maybe the 16gb ram if it will work. I already purchased a R9 290. I would like to have any upgrade options In the future so I don't have to buy a new motherboard if I purchase  a i7 4770k.

3770 + ssd + hdd out of his old dell 8500 = I assume he has it. so no need to buy z87 or z77 or even the 4770k.

I assume I got the right poster.

so most likely I assume he has the chip. and re-using it with the ssd and hdd out of his old dell 8500.

@Joshua Ondangan Alright, I get what you mean. The H77 and Z77 decision is completely up to him, depending on what he wants (SLI? Partial OC?). H77 is a smart choice without cheaping out on boards like B75 and H61. I thought you were speaking of 5- and 6-series boards lol.

The XPS 8500 comes with a 1TB/2TB Barracuda drive; it works great and is the same as the ones on the retail market.

@FpsStang do you have your new build built already, just missing the CPU and mobo, or did you add the 290 to the 8500?

@Joshua Ondangan Alright, I get what you mean. The H77 and Z77 decision is completely up to him, depending on what he wants (SLI? Partial OC?). H77 is a smart choice without cheaping out on boards like B75 and H61. I thought you were speaking of 5- and 6-series boards lol.

The XPS 8500 comes with a 1TB/2TB Barracuda drive; it works great and is the same as the ones on the retail market.

@FpsStang do you have your new build built already, just missing the CPU and mobo, or did you add the 290 to the 8500?

np mate xD. I think we're pretty much saying the same thing just that I suck at getting to the point pretty much without messing it xD. btw it seems he plans to reuse his other parts + the 290 he just bought unless I didn't understand what he meant by it properly.

@FpsStang

I suggest something like this but you should also take everyone else opinion everyone here on LLT would be glad to help you out.

gonna edit this.

edit: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Fb1l

so something like this?

Motherboard:  Asus P8H77-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $358.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-06 18:04 EDT-0400)

I added in some odd just in case you didn't like the one with your 8500, and a windows 8.1 pro btw lemme re-edit it since I forgot the ssd. (ok no need for ssd you already have one). not sure if you'd need win 8 though.

Tabascosauz  IT is not built yet. that is why im asking what mobo to buy. I already have the cpu (from the 8500), the 290 is sitting in a box waiting for me to buy a mobo to place it in.

Joshua you have been correct in all your posts on what I'm trying to do.

one problem I see with that board is I would need to buy new memory because mine is 16gb 4x4 1600 and that board only has 2 slots.  is their something wrong with my optical drive? I was going to stay with windows 7, I have 8.1 on my labtop and don't care for it. is there a benefit to win 8.1?