Do all 4K 144Hz monitors need DSC for 144Hz?

Rym
Go to solution Solved by matt0725,

It is all dependent on the version of Displayport or HDMI being used on the monitor(and your graphics card). I think the newst versions of displayport don't need any DSC, but it is very new and i think only the AMD 7000 series cards have outputs for it, so unless youre running one of those, and also a very new monitor which can take that version as well, it may not even matter currently.

EDIT: displayport 2.1 is the newest version, and can do 4k 240hz without DSC according to this.

I've been looking for a monitor upgrade to 4K, while the gigabyte m28u comes in highly recommended, it needs display stream compression to actually reach 144Hz.

Is this a limitation of the monitor itself, and I'd be better off buying the samsung G7A LS28 or do all 4K monitors require DSC to go above 120Hz?

It is all dependent on the version of Displayport or HDMI being used on the monitor(and your graphics card). I think the newst versions of displayport don't need any DSC, but it is very new and i think only the AMD 7000 series cards have outputs for it, so unless youre running one of those, and also a very new monitor which can take that version as well, it may not even matter currently.

EDIT: displayport 2.1 is the newest version, and can do 4k 240hz without DSC according to this.

Thanks for the replies! Then I should remain with the M28U in mind, the LG is a bit much coming at 360~ euro more expensive.

Am I right to understand that if I don't like DSC, I can run at 4K 120Hz without DSC?

i forget the exact specs of current displayport stuff, but there are breakdowns out there if you search like 'Displayport 1.4 DSC".

that being said, DSC is supposed to be lossless and i don't think most people would know about it if it wasnt mentioned in tech reviews 

45 minutes ago, Rym said:

Am I right to understand that if I don't like DSC, I can run at 4K 120Hz without DSC?

Yes, at 8 bpc color depth.

45 minutes ago, Rym said:

Thanks for the replies! Then I should remain with the M28U in mind, the LG is a bit much coming at 360~ euro more expensive.

I think HDMI on Gigabyte monitors is limited to 24G so would also require DSC, may want to check that.