Cell Phone Antenna

RobertoRojo

So I am at a spot with poor reception, however in the past I was still able to get something with my hotspot. At that time I was using the Galaxy Z Flip 4. Now, after breaking that phone i am in an old iphone X. With this phone I can not get anything.

I have also noticed that in other locations my wife with her iphone 13 or what ever it is, when the home internet went down we cant use her hot spot because of poor reception, but with my Galaxy we could use its Hotspot just fine. We are both on the same data plan.

So is it just bad luck or do iPhones have inferior antennas, or something else to do with creating Hotspots.

all phones have different antenna's. Usually the iphones ones are pretty good but seems the zflip has a broader signal range by default so that could be helping.

If its really an issue you could get a cell reception reciever and boost the signal for your house

Welcome to the forums!
That is a truly complicated question and depends on all sorts of things. It's one of the things that Labs will be testing when they get up to speed

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Thank you for the reply's. I didn't know about the broader signal range thing. Hopefully the "Labs" will educate me on that.

The internet just kept telling me the iphones have good antennas and asking if I wanted to buy one.  I wasn't getting anywhere and I didn't know the right questions to ask. It could be that its an iPhone X compared to a new phone. I dunno, I know very little about the iphone. Waiting for the S23's to release, hopefully trade in the Zflip 4 with a cracked screen. If not that, then trade this old iPhone.

Off Topic, This is the 2nd Z flip I have owned, the last one went a year (almost) before the screen started cracking at the hinge. Got the flip4, 2 months in and I dropped it, the hinge busted. I used my insurance to got another 1 and now I broke that 1. This time I was around metal shavings (I work around construction). The magnets in the phone attracted a small sharp metal shaving and when I closed the phone it punctured the screen and that was it. I was hoping warranty replacement would look past that, they didn't. So, I am not gonna fix the flip, its just to fragile. I bought a $150 or so Samsung A03 for work. 

Anyhoot, It really isn't an issue long enough to buy a reception booster. It just comes up every now and then. If/when our power goes out, I'll let my wife use my Hotspot (assuming I'm out of this iPhone 😜 )

Looking forward to the "Labs". 

Thank you again for the info, Have a good weekend