Stuck on create a pin when setting up new laptop with windows 11

cookiedragoneh
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Sounds like your windows install got bricked on the device id take it back

So i have recently received a new laptop and as usual i have to go through the initial setup of windows. in the past i have been able to do this locally without the need to access the internet. This time however it wont let me do that, I Have to have networking or i wont let me proceed. Ok that's not a problem YET. So i plug in the ethernet and go through the next step which is logging in to a microsoft account. all good so far. Now i get to a screen where it tells me i need to create a pin. there is absolutely no way i can see to skip this step so i click create pin and all i get is a spinning loading wheel that just goes on forever. After looking online and troubleshooting it tells me that if this happens i should disconnect all networking and turn off my router and switch off the computer, apparently when i start the computer up again it should remember where i left off and problem solved. The problem is it doesn't do that, it goes right back to the beginning. So i do it all again (5 times) and still nothing. On the 6th attempt i decide that when i get to the "Create a Pin" part to just pull the ethernet without switching it off in a desperate attempt to be able to skip this step and all i get is the "Oops you seem to have lost connection" and it takes me all the way back to part of the setup where i need to connect to a network before i can go any further. I am stuck in this ridiculous loop with absolutely no idea how to get past it. Please can somebody shed some light on to a potential fix for this as all troubleshooting i have found doesn't take into consideration the fact i cannot get past this without networking

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Sounds like your windows install got bricked on the device id take it back

would reinstalling windows myself help at all? 

10 minutes ago, cookiedragoneh said:

would reinstalling windows myself help at all? 

You can do that too just not a great start for a new laptop 😛

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can do that too just not a great start for a new laptop 😛

thanks for your help, turns out they didn't even include the key anywhere in the box for reference so it's defo going back at this point

19 minutes ago, cookiedragoneh said:

thanks for your help, turns out they didn't even include the key anywhere in the box for reference so it's defo going back at this point

Oh keys are bound to the device now. Windows knows that

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Oh keys are bound to the device now. Windows knows that

in that case i may just do the reinstall myself, thanks for that, i didn't realise that was a thing now days.