My GPU requires 2x8 pin connector but my PSU only has 1x8 and 1x6 pin connector

KevinG4
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

going to preface this with some strong language:

NEVER DO THIS, THIS IS A HORRID PRACTISCE. IF THE POWER SUPPLY DOES NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY CONNECTORS IT IS NOT BUILT TO HANDLE THE LOAD.

that aside... two details make this EXACT instance different:

- two 8-pins is extremely overkill for a GTX 980 (75% of my argument rest on this part)

- that's very little PCIe plugs for a 620 wat power supply, and despite being a 'fairly low end' unit it's still from a trustworthy enough make that you could push the limits just a tad.

above mentioned 6-pin to 8-pin, adapter is probably your best bet here, they tend to be pretty universally available from pc hardware vendors too. but needless to say, despite it being 'probably well within fine', i dont recommend you then turn around and use this setup to OC the living heck out of that GTX980. based on the CPU mentioned i'm assuming you're just cobbling together a relatively cheap build on older hardware. treat it as what it is: a compromise.

As title suggests i have a MSI GTX 980 GPU and my PSU is this SEASONIC S12II-620 BRONZE 620W.

As you can see it only has 1x8 pin connector and 1x6 pin connector.

Is there anything i can do to make it work ?

My CPU is FX-8320.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there are adapters on amazon both from 6-pin (PSU) to 8-pin (GPU) and the other way around. For a 980, you can safely do this.

Probably this is, what you are looking for: https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B07BPP5F65

I would not recommend running a 4090 from a single 6-pin though, even if there are adapters for that too 🙂

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

going to preface this with some strong language:

NEVER DO THIS, THIS IS A HORRID PRACTISCE. IF THE POWER SUPPLY DOES NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY CONNECTORS IT IS NOT BUILT TO HANDLE THE LOAD.

that aside... two details make this EXACT instance different:

- two 8-pins is extremely overkill for a GTX 980 (75% of my argument rest on this part)

- that's very little PCIe plugs for a 620 wat power supply, and despite being a 'fairly low end' unit it's still from a trustworthy enough make that you could push the limits just a tad.

above mentioned 6-pin to 8-pin, adapter is probably your best bet here, they tend to be pretty universally available from pc hardware vendors too. but needless to say, despite it being 'probably well within fine', i dont recommend you then turn around and use this setup to OC the living heck out of that GTX980. based on the CPU mentioned i'm assuming you're just cobbling together a relatively cheap build on older hardware. treat it as what it is: a compromise.

Hi both and thanks for your quick answers!

I don't have any plans to OC this card, i just got it from a friend who upgraded his pc. After checking around forums ( https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-gtx-980-gaming/23.html ), i saw that maximum load for this card on gaming scenarios was something like 200Watts which i think should be OK to be handled by using this adapter.

If i understand correctly, power is distributed equally through both 8pin connectors so 100 watts should be the highest wattage the 6pin connector would have to handle.

Which i am guessing since this is a quality PSU , it should be nothing to worry about.

26 minutes ago, KevinG4 said:

Hi both and thanks for your quick answers!

I don't have any plans to OC this card, i just got it from a friend who upgraded his pc. After checking around forums ( https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-gtx-980-gaming/23.html ), i saw that maximum load for this card on gaming scenarios was something like 200Watts which i think should be OK to be handled by using this adapter.

If i understand correctly, power is distributed equally through both 8pin connectors so 100 watts should be the highest wattage the 6pin connector would have to handle.

Which i am guessing since this is a quality PSU , it should be nothing to worry about.

an 8-pin doesnt actually have 'that much more' connectors to handle the power draw than a 6-pin (there's only two extra pins, practically both are ground, and theoretically one of those is a sense pin.)

how power draw is balanced technically depends on the card's design, but it's most likely that they just go into a big power plane.

as for how it's handled on the power supply side... all the +12v leads of the PCIe power connectors probably just go to the same power plane with no logic to separate the different cables out what so ever.

so in a way... it probably couldnt even tell the difference if the card balanced differently between the two cables, and the total rated power of 8-pin plus 6-pin is still more than the power draw you could expect from this card, so even if the rail is exclusive to those two plugs and it doesnt have some extra headroom for some molex plugs that are spliced off the rail (unlikely there arent..) it's still well within spec.