Charging issues with MacBook Pro

ServerSide_Drew
Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,
1 hour ago, ServerSide_Drew said:

I attempted to resolve this by using a higher-power charging brick than the one apple provided with the machine (100w vs 87w)

Plug all your accessories into the dock and plug the mac into that. Plug in the power adapter that came with your Mac into your MacBook. This will charge your MacBook. The dock will power your accessories, the power adapter will charge your Mac directly. 

Hey, I have a 2018 MacBook Pro 15in that I am having some issues with.

I have a docking station I use with my MacBook when I want to play video games.
This station has the following connected. It has Power-Over-Thunderbolt, 2 monitors, a Razer Keyboard, Mouse and Headset connected. It also has a 2TB HDD connected that I have some of my games stored on and a 1TB SSD connected with windows 10 on it that the MacBook boots from when I am gaming. This is all connected to a single Thunderbolt port on the mac.

The problem I am having is that when the Machine is connected to the Docking Station booted into Windows 10, the Machine WILL NOT charge. Windows 10 indicates that the machine is "Plugged in, Not Charging" and the machine will pretty rapidly discharge. I attempted to resolve this by using a higher-power charging brick than the one apple provided with the machine (100w vs 87w) but this only makes the machine discharge slightly slower. I am hesitant to get an even LARGER brick as apple indicated that more than 100w can damage the MacBook's charging circuitry.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What should I do to try to resolve this? Thanks in advance!

My Rig: 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.45Ghz 24GB DDR3 EEC RAM Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 SuperMicro X8DT3 Windows Server 2008 R2

Here's a little TL;DR of what you need to know about the GTX 970 and R9 390

R9 390 works better in VRAM-bound scenarios and compute bound scenarios and is best paired with higher end processors

GTX 970 works better in CPU-bound scenarios and tessellation bound scenarios and is best paired with lower end processors

Does it charge properly when running macOS?

I wonder if it's a weird issue involving Windows running on Mac hardware.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does it charge properly when running macOS?

I wonder if it's a weird issue involving Windows running on Mac hardware.

It does but MacOS can turn off the AMD GPU and run the displays using the iGPU. Windows ONLY uses the higher power dGPU so I am guessing that is whats allowing it to charge

My Rig: 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.45Ghz 24GB DDR3 EEC RAM Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 SuperMicro X8DT3 Windows Server 2008 R2

R9 390 works better in VRAM-bound scenarios and compute bound scenarios and is best paired with higher end processors

GTX 970 works better in CPU-bound scenarios and tessellation bound scenarios and is best paired with lower end processors

4 minutes ago, ServerSide_Drew said:

It does but MacOS can turn off the AMD GPU and run the displays using the iGPU. Windows ONLY uses the higher power dGPU so I am guessing that is whats allowing it to charge

There should be an option in Windows to select which GPU to use, unless for some reason it only detects one.

My MBP charging issue was solved with getting a new cable, and I've not tried running Windows on mine.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

There should be an option in Windows to select which GPU to use, unless for some reason it only detects one.

My MBP charging issue was solved with getting a new cable, and I've not tried running Windows on mine.

Nope in bootcamp Windows 10 ONLY sees the AMD GPU. Attempting to install Intel GPU drivers results in the installer from intel saying you don't HAVE an intel GPU

4 minutes ago, ServerSide_Drew said:

Nope in bootcamp Windows 10 ONLY sees the AMD GPU. Attempting to install Intel GPU drivers results in the installer from intel saying you don't HAVE an intel GPU

Yeah, that might be your problem.

I'd honestly just chalk it up to a "Windows on Mac" issue.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, that might be your problem.

I'd honestly just chalk it up to a "Windows on Mac" issue.

Do you think I can supply the machine with 120w without damage considering some of that power if going to get stolen by all the accessories on the docking station?

1 hour ago, ServerSide_Drew said:

I attempted to resolve this by using a higher-power charging brick than the one apple provided with the machine (100w vs 87w)

Plug all your accessories into the dock and plug the mac into that. Plug in the power adapter that came with your Mac into your MacBook. This will charge your MacBook. The dock will power your accessories, the power adapter will charge your Mac directly. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)