Upgrading CPU/motherboard, cannot boot to bios

sleepychungus45

Hey there,

My old motherboard recently died, so i figured it was time to go from my 7700k to a modern cpu.

Due to a need for fast availability, I went with a 12600k with an MSI PRO z690-a. I am aware of the bios incompatibility, and I already took the steps to flash the updated bios (I believe successfully, but as you will see i cannot tell). I followed the steps on MSI's website with a FAT32 formatted drive. When i pressed the bios flash button, it lit up red, then went away. That is the only light/indication I have gotten that would tell my my motherboard is receiving power. I currently have it set up on the motherboard box, with my CPU, temporary AIO cooler, and ram installed. I have tried booting both with my GTX 1080 installed, and also with onboard graphics, and it does not boot at all. I have both used a screwdriver to try to power it on, as well as plugging in my case power button to try that as well, with no response. As i have never had any trouble like this with a build before, I am not sure what my next troubleshooting steps should be. I have access to another working pc, but I would prefer to not tear it down if I can avoid it. Any help is appreciated, if anyone is willing to help on discord as well, my discord is melanie#0666. Thank you for any help!!

Welcome to the forums!
Yike, sounds like you *might* have bricked your mobo. The fully ethical thing to do would be to contact support and tell them you had a BIOS flash go bad and see if they can help you. The morally grey thing to do would be to contact support and say your board was DOA and see if they can help you recover it, if (when) they can't, they should RMA it

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!
Yike, sounds like you *might* have bricked your mobo. The fully ethical thing to do would be to contact support and tell them you had a BIOS flash go bad and see if they can help you. The morally grey thing to do would be to contact support and say your board was DOA and see if they can help you recover it, if (when) they can't, they should RMA it

How would I be sure? i mean, it wouldn't boot before I flashed it, I definitely followed the guide on their website to a T and flashed it correctly... Is there anything else I can try? I play a game competitively and I really need a working pc...

Oh, it wouldn't boot before you flashed? Assuming you plugged in everything correctly that board was *actually* DOA. A Z690 board shouldn't need an update to run a 12600k. 690 launched with 12th gen

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Oh, it wouldn't boot before you flashed? Assuming you plugged in everything correctly that board was *actually* DOA. A Z690 board shouldn't need an update to run a 12600k. 690 launched with 12th gen

it was noted with a compatibility issue and a need to update the BIOS on PCpartpicker, unless it was wrong there. is there any way to be sure if it was DOA? or am i basically just in a position where i need to rma it... I would prefer to not wait an indefinite amount of time to have a working pc.

Also its worth noting that I am taking the RAM and GPU from my old (DEAD) pc, if there is any chance that would affect anything. Also my m.2 isnt here so I'm just going to be using my old SSD to boot the system.

MSI is my mobo brand, in fact the MSI PRO zXXX-a is even my go-to product line, and last time I knew (years ago admittedly) they had express RMA where they'd hold a charge on your card while sending you a replacement, then return the charge when they get the part. 
Also, given that it's my board line, I *know* there are EZ Debug lights in the top right corner which will light up showing POST order. If you aren't seeing those light up at all, it's a dead mobo

(I literally have 4 of those line of mobo deployed in my house plus another 3 deployed on other people's systems)

12 minutes ago, OddOod said:

MSI is my mobo brand, in fact the MSI PRO zXXX-a is even my go-to product line, and last time I knew (years ago admittedly) they had express RMA where they'd hold a charge on your card while sending you a replacement, then return the charge when they get the part. 
Also, given that it's my board line, I *know* there are EZ Debug lights in the top right corner which will light up showing POST order. If you aren't seeing those light up at all, it's a dead mobo

im also broke so Thats probably not going to be an option for me. Thanks for trying to help, I guess im just not meant to have nice things 😞

Get their customer support on a call, they are remarkably helpful. See what they can do for you. Worst case they just do a slow RMA and you're out no extra time. Be kind, be respectful, it gets you far in this game.