Recommendations for true local storage security cameras

Datrat

To start I am not sure this is the best category, I didn't see one that fit directly

I wanted to give my parents a few options for camera systems, but I am concerned now following the Eufy controversy that some normy-friendly companies might not be trustworthy. I have all the parts for a storage server with 4 tb WD Red NAS drives from an old PC, and I think that is fine to use for storing the footage. I have seen LTT using the Ubiquiti cameras, and while they are very expensive they seem to perform great, though I am confident there are other ways to do it.

I am hopeful there is a cheaper solution with minimal wire runs, POE powered is preferred to minimize the cost and difficulty of installation (1920's house w/ lathe and plaster is pretty hard to DIY in) but I am open to other suggestions.

This might be overkill, but i put my camera on a separate network segment without internet connectivity...  Not only do the camera not have access to the internet, but i also blocked their access (via firewall rules ) to the reset of my home network which is on a seprate subnet.  The security camera can only access my server that manages the security footage.

I use Reolink cameras.  They work fine, do the job but nothing special. They are designed to be used with the reolink software and want to call home, but i connect to them using the ONVIF protocol and block their access to keep things secure .

buy "dumb" ethernet camera's, connect them to a shielded network (that doesnt have access to the outside internet) and have your own homebrew recorder plugged into said network on one NIC, and into your home network on another.

but essentially, if the camera network is entirely walled off, the security of the camera's themselves becomes of much less concern. the camera's cant send sensitive data to the outside world, if they cannot access the outside world.

all you need to make that happen is have one secure device as your 'translation layer', that runs the frontend software that lets you interact with camera settings and recordings.