Apipa Address vs the PC name

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

It's not quite clear from the post what the actual issue is you're trying to solve here. Since the machine has an 169.254.x.x address it means it hasn't gotten an IP from a DHCP and has assigned itself an IP.

When you ping a host name, that name is first resolved to an IP address, typically using a DNS server. Since the machine has no proper network connection it probably recognized its own name, and resolved it to 127.0.0.1/localhost.

馃聽So I have another question for you ultra nerds out there. I was fooling around in my Oracle VM. I turned off the pfsense router, and disabled the ethernet in my Windows 10 VM. I pinged the Apipa address, and didn't get a response, as I expected. But when I ping the name of the PC itself, I get a response via the loopback address. I was not expecting that at all. Why is the loopback address responding? How would that help me troubleshoot a connection issue in this instance? With Ethernet on, pfsense still turned off, the Apipa address showed up when pinging the PC name before.

Pinging Apipa vs PC Name 2.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

It's not quite clear from the post what the actual issue is you're trying to solve here. Since the machine has an 169.254.x.x address it means it hasn't gotten an IP from a DHCP and has assigned itself an IP.

When you ping a host name, that name is first resolved to an IP address, typically using a DNS server. Since the machine has no proper network connection it probably recognized its own name, and resolved it to 127.0.0.1/localhost.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

馃 Right, I mean I know the loopback just pings the machines TCP/IP stack software according to various nerds. Has nothing to do with the hardware. So, not even getting an apipa address just indicates that there is a hardware issue. The wifi adapter and/or NIC has either been disabled, or they gave up the ghost. I still wasn't expecting the loopback to respond, but I guess I should have. Got it. 馃檪馃憤

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10