Forgot password on Windows 8 tablet, how to remove/reinstall?

da na

First, I hope this does not break forum rules, and my apologies if it does.

Family member of mine said they forgot the password on their Asus Windows 8 tablet. There is nothing important on it, they just want me to reinstall the OS so they can use the device again. Only port it has is USB micro B (and a Micro SD slot). 

I am not sure if it supports OTG, I don't think I can boot from a flash drive either. And the storage is not removable. 
Is there anyway to reinstall the OS (or some way to remove the password)?

Thanks!

a lot of the early lightweight windows tablets use REALLY werid boot processes, so you might not even be able to install a compatible bootloader with a windows installer.

i've had an encounter with some HP tablet a few years ago, where it would run a 64 bit OS, but the bootloader is 32 bit only, and needed to essentially be set up manually.

basicly.. if you dont have access to the OS itself, you have no control over the device underneath.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a lot of the early lightweight windows tablets use REALLY werid boot processes, so you might not even be able to install a compatible bootloader with a windows installer.

i've had an encounter with some HP tablet a few years ago, where it would run a 64 bit OS, but the bootloader is 32 bit only, and needed to essentially be set up manually.

basicly.. if you dont have access to the OS itself, you have no control over the device underneath.

That's what I feared... 

3 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

That's what I feared... 

might be worth trying to shut it down and boot it up while holding volume up or something.. but on the win8 era stuff that was all pretty locked down.