Questions regarding buying PSU for 4070Ti 13600kf build

smush

I was looking to buy the Corsair RM850X PSU as I've been told 850W is plenty for this combo but have now been told this Corsiar PSU is no good for my build as I have to get a ATX 3.0 PSU... Is that correct? Does the motherboard also need to support that? I'm a little confused.

Just now, smush said:

I was looking to buy the Corsair RM850X PSU as I've been told 850W is plenty for this combo but have now been told this Corsiar PSU is no good for my build as I have to get a ATX 3.0 PSU... Is that correct? Does the motherboard also need to support that? I'm a little confused.

Where did you get the information that you have to get a ATX 3.0 PSU?

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, FI Fheonix said:

I was asking on Reddit if 850W was enough wattage for a 13600kf and 4070ti and the response I got was that 850W is ok but 1000W if planning to OC however they also said the PSU needs to be ATX3.0/PCIe5 compatible for any RTX4xxx with the 12VHPWR cable

Just now, FI Fheonix said:

You might need a atx 3.0 PSU to ensure your GPU gets enough power. ATX 3.0: Do You Need to Upgrade Your PSU For Nvidia's RTX 40-Series GPUs? (makeuseof.com)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

You might need a atx 3.0 PSU to ensure your GPU gets enough power. ATX 3.0: Do You Need to Upgrade Your PSU For Nvidia's RTX 40-Series GPUs? (makeuseof.com)

I would get one just in case if I were you.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

Just now, smush said:

I was asking on Reddit if 850W was enough wattage for a 13600kf and 4070ti and the response I got was that 850W is ok but 1000W if planning to OC however they also said the PSU needs to be ATX3.0/PCIe5 compatible for any RTX4xxx with the 12VHPWR cable

This would be a good example https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Toughpower-Crossfire-Connector-PS-TPD-0850FNFAGU-4/dp/B0BF3YF9KY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=atx+3.0+power+supply&qid=1673713890&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906987011&rnid=6525659011&s=pc&sr=1-1

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

I would get one just in case if I were you.

It sounds odd to me this requirement (it's been awhile since I built a PC) but looking at all the PSU on PC Part Picker with my 4070Ti selected it still shows me PSUs that are not ATX 3.0 certified (like the RM850X I was going to buy) it seems like there's only 4-5 PSUs showing up that are ATX 3.0 certified so all these hundreds of other PSUs are useless to people with new gen GPUs?

Just now, smush said:

It sounds odd to me this requirement (it's been awhile since I built a PC) but looking at all the PSU on PC Part Picker with my 4070Ti selected it still shows me PSUs that are not ATX 3.0 certified (like the RM850X I was going to buy) it seems like there's only 4-5 PSUs showing up that are ATX 3.0 certified so all these hundreds of other PSUs are useless to people with new gen GPUs?

They're not useless. You can use a regular PSU if you want. But a 3.0 certified PSU was made for more power-hungry GPU's and they are specifically designed to withstand power spikes and be able to handle them. A 3.0 PSU isn't exactly required. But not using one could have pretty bad outcomes like bricking your GPU entirely.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

They're not useless. You can use a regular PSU if you want. But a 3.0 certified PSU was made for more power-hungry GPU's and they are specifically designed to withstand power spikes and be able to handle them. A 3.0 PSU isn't exactly required. But not using one could have pretty bad outcomes like bricking your GPU entirely.

The real question is would you rather spend a bunch of money on a new GPU or spend a little extra on a PSU to make sure it will last a while longer.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

6 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

The real question is would you rather spend a bunch of money on a new GPU or spend a little extra on a PSU to make sure it will last a while longer.

I'm ok with spending the money if it is useful to have I just wanted to question this ATX 3.0 thing as it didn't seem right to me especially when as far as I can see there's only a handful of power supplies that are ATX 3.0 certified want to be sure it wasn't just a hype thing/high end enthusiast thing buying stuff because they can not because it's needed. I also came across this from Corsair https://www.corsair.com/newsroom/press-release/ready-to-go-beyond-fast-corsair-announces-compatibility-for-nvidia-40-series-graphics-cards

What do you have right now? You can get away with any 850W as long as it's a good brand and at least gold rated. Right now there isn't alot of choice for the newer psu that has the 12VHPWR cable. Threre's really only 2 that you could buy now ans that's the Thermaltake toughpower GF3 series and the MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5. I would avoid the Thrmaltake as it gave my pc issues with random reboot while gaming. I have the MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 atm.

**Intel 14900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master X**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB DDR-6800**Lian Li Galahad II 360mm**Inland M2 SSD 4TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo RGB**ASUS PG42UQ**Logitech G Pro X TKL**Logitech G502X Plus**Windows 11 Pro**