Looking for the perfect monitor

Hiya,

As you can tell from the title, I'm in need of a new monitor. At the moment I'm using a 22" Bush TV (very cheap, bad quality, bad viewing angles, etc... 

I'm a newb to monitors, so I don't really know what $250 can get me, but any brand is good, especially BenQ, or Asus.

I game with a medium/high spec intel/gtx pc, so I would like to know if 144hz is better than 1440p, vice versa.

P.S, 1ms response time would be ideal, although 2ms is the limit for me. :P

Anyways, I hope to hear from anyone soon!

itaroken

@XtremeTechGaming Thanks for that link! Looks & sounds great, just looking at reviews now.

@Marco Martinho Thanks for the link, but I can afford more so I'll keep looking! Thanks you though :D

itaroken

@XtremeTechGaming Thanks for that link! Looks & sounds great, just looking at reviews now.

@Marco Martinho Thanks for the link, but I can afford more so I'll keep looking! Thanks you though :D

I was hoping you would like it! :D

Well it depends i guess.. in long term you might wanna look into a monitor you could've spend a lot more on that suits your eye candy needs . things like 144hz and 1ms response time is for really extreme gamers like starcraft 2 with cunning cognitive response*. not high res/good looking gaming experience other wise you're gonna be not noticing anything but rather having that extra "umph" to your hardware which you are not going to notice yourself anyways, i'd suggest you try out monitors earlier before commiting/investing to it. 60-120 hertz is nominal/accectable rate you can persive, i think there's a post by linus on his channel about difference between & 120 hz gamin on a 1400p res monitor.

This is not a popular advice :mellow: but i'd suggest a 60 herts ips monitor for a good enough gaming  or you can go for a TN panel preferrably with g-sync either way you're good, but you'd have to stick with it for atlest 6-8 years or so, as like everyone else is. so choose/invest wisely and research well for over a month before buying and look out for pre release glimpse before buying from a company !

i cannot recommend you a specific model, that is upto you fine tune it according to your taste and likes (bezel size, stand design , wall mount, screen size, resolution , panel, panel glare coating etc) ;)

but i'll update my post as i go, dell and asus uses panels from LG, Samsung has their own panel with PLS which is more or less of ah-ips. viewsonic and aoc ? i dont know!  :huh:  so keep that in mind as well,

*Time of physical response regarding epic fast gaming response: if you are over 24 years or older, that stuff is diminishing according to reasearch

Here are some reccommendations: ASUS VE278Q Black 27, ViewSonic VA2703-LED Black 27,LG 24MB35PY-B,LG IPS235P-BN  (will update more soon)

research ninja activated :ph34r:

Details separate people.

Well it depends i guess.. in long term you might wanna look into a monitor you could've spend a lot more on that suits your eye candy needs . things like 144hz and 1ms response time is for really extreme gamers like starcraft 2 with cunning cognitive response*. not high res/good looking gaming experience other wise you're gonna be not noticing anything but rather having that extra "umph" to your hardware which you are not going to notice yourself anyways, i'd suggest you try out monitors earlier before commiting/investing to it. 60-120 hertz is nominal/accectable rate you can persive, i think there's a post by linus on his channel about difference between & 120 hz gamin on a 1400p res monitor.

This is not a popular advice :mellow: but i'd suggest a 60 herts ips monitor for a good enough gaming  or you can go for a TN panel preferrably with g-sync either way you're good, but you'd have to stick with it for atlest 6-8 years or so, as like everyone else is. so choose/invest wisely and research well for over a month before buying and look out for pre release glimpse before buying from a company !

i cannot recommend you a specific model, that is upto you fine tune it according to your taste and likes (bezel size, stand design , wall mount, screen size, resolution , panel, panel glare coating etc) ;)

but i'll update my post as i go, dell and asus uses panels from LG, Samsung has their own panel with PLS which is more or less of ah-ips. viewsonic and aoc ? i dont know!  :huh:  so keep that in mind as well,

*Time of physical response regarding epic fast gaming response: if you are over 24 years or older, that stuff is diminishing according to reasearch

Here are some reccommendations: ASUS VE278Q Black 27, ViewSonic VA2703-LED Black 27,LG 24MB35PY-B,LG IPS235P-BN  (will update more soon)

research ninja activated :ph34r:

You're awesome! Thanks so much! So do you think I should get a 1440p monitor instead of a 144hz monitor? The suggestions are good, keep 'em coming ;)

I know that I definitely want an all-black monitor which is 24" :D

itaroken

Specs look nice , cd/m2 is 350 meaning its brigher compared to most of the other similar products on 2D Displays like pictures/movies etc. But do Know that when you switch over to 3D,for 3D glasses viewing that amount(cd/m2=brightness value) will be halved literally, normal monitors you see on shopping malls have cd/m2 of about 250 max , unless they're super uber, But. Benifit of having a 3D monitor with 144hz refresh rate is that Ghosting (double image while viewing in 3D) , and stuttering (jaggy image overtime giving you headache will be greatly reduced) Thats the possitive, but being 3d

To make it easier here's the deal, what ever monitor you're buying there's gonna be something "ALWAYS" something you're not going to like (unless you've been lead to believe it's the perfect thing in the world) so when you buy one, make sure you are gonna notice the problems, and never, ever,  pick a monitor by their contrast ratio value

so in short here you go:

Benifits:

• 144hz (smooth feathery picture flow 2D/3D)
  • 350Cd/m2 (Brightest image possible on a TN panel, actually more but consumerwise)
  • 1080p (good for 24" monitor)
  • led backlit (all 24" displays are , it should be)
  • Since you have an nvidia card you can do a light boost hack to boost the brightness in 3D (YAY ^_^ )
  • later multi monitor upgrade for ultimate 3d experience
  • butter smooth image flow no stuttering on movies
  • no input lag (in gaming you see.you respond.that simple! no millisecond waiting)
  • Good stand (tilt height swivel adjustment (no portrait mode tho)
  • Can make a gsync upgrade later to sync the gaming experience with your card

Cons:

• Brightness will drop to half once you switch on 3d (darker murky image/compared to 2D view/colors shades may loose intensity)
  • TN panel 16 mil col (Acceptable but not Vibrant colors/unless you're a photo editor you wont notice it anyway)
  • overtime switching to 3D may make Monitor heat up faster and a humming noise (not immediatley!after 2-3 years of use)
  • the backlight led's may give up after 3 years or so, you'll  notice the brightnes drop or flickering image then
  • 1080p 3D is getting outdated (4k 3D with improved brightness and color depth are coming)
  • bezel is glossy (you won't notice it , anyways but still)
  • Viewing angle (only if if you go overboard otherwise its good, you'll probably look at it straight right?)
  • light bleed on corners (nothing biggie here)
  • there maybe dead pixels (do check for it immediatley tho, asus rma's are somewhat bad and you'll have to live with it)
  • washed out colors (depends on the persons eyes)  they do sacrifice color to bring you 144 hz experience
  • monitor may give up on you after 4-5 years (depending on your usage)

Read through these , i chugged it from a few good review sites and narrowed it down to this one single post (list switched to Times new roman font for faster reading without eye fatigue ;) , sorry if there's any typo)

Post back if you need more help finding a good one or confirming the buy, just remember to take your time before buying one, you'll be using it for atlest 6-8 years period. just look throght the benifits and expect those. dont think about the cons.

a ninja is faster than 144z :ph34r:

Details separate people.