I have a tough one, unable to install OS, random freezes or crashes

Go to solution Solved by Wexom,

So after another day of struggle i bought AMD 5800X3D, put it together with the old MB, old RAM and all other old things from the first system and everything works fine. I still do not understand how it is possible that the AMD 5900X with RAMs were working at my friends MB (computer) just fine even under the load from benchmark, but 5900X is not working for me at all. 

TLDR: Problem caused by faulty CPU. Fixed by upgrade from AMD 5900X to AMD 5800X3D

In advance, i would like to apologize for my english

What is my problem. Im not able to install any operating system on my PC. Already tried Win 10, 11 and Ubuntu Linux

PC Details:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL14 Trident Z Neo

Seasonic Prime PX-850 - 850W

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - AMD X570

Samsung SSD 980 PRO, M.2 - 1TB

Fractal Design Define 7 Black - Dark TG

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black

ROG Strix Asus RTX 3090 OC 24GB (O24G)

What happened:

I had my computer nearly two years. Upgraded bios half a year ago. Switched to W11 1/4 year back. When i switched to W11 i started to have blue screens. In the begining it was one blue screen, two times a week. This week it was already 5 blue screens every day... I decided that i will reinstall my windows. 

• I was not able to finish instalation of W11. freezed every time after computer was running for 1-2 minutes or autorestarted (crashed) during the different parts of the instalation. Sometimes when files were being copied. Sometimes when i was naming my computer or trying to log into my microsoft account. I was never able to finish the instalation. Freeze ment i was not able to move my mouse or disable enable numlock key on my keyboard. crashed ment unexpected auto restart
  • I was not able to finish instalation of W10. same behaviour
  • I was not able to finish instalation of Ubuntu. same behavior
  • I tried to install 6-7 different bios versions via USB flashback bios. No change
  • I decided to unmount and mount my RAM and CPU. No change
  • I tried it running with only one memory stick. With first No change. With second No change
  • I tested my CPU and RAM in my friends computer. We tried benchmark for several minutes and everything was fine. So we though that CPU and RAMs are okay
  • I bought new MB ASUS ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING Wifi hoping that the problem is in MB. Did not help. Same problems. 
  • From now on all testing is happening on new MB
  • Tried multiple Bios updates, no change
  • I tried to run it with different GPU card. GTX960 borrowed from my friend confirmed it is working on his system, no change
  • I started to suspect my SSD so i removed it from MB and tried to install OS on different SSD which i know is working connected via Sata 6. no change
  • At this point i disconnected all front IO, front USB and Case fans headers from MB, left only CPU fan and i was starting my PC via screewdriver, no change
  • Last resort. I tried connect 24 Pin and 8 pin for CPU from different PSU. jumped one PSU before and run this new PSU normaly and again, freeze during instalation. (I know, very sketchy, but i'm desperate)

The other thing is that im not able to run computer with D.O.C.P (XMP) on both my Asus boards but i was able to run it on my friends MB. It will not start properly on Asus boards. Always started in safe mode with RAM 2488Mhz

Im always able to enter my bios.

Any ideas? Im starting to incline again towards the problem with CPU or RAM. Tomorrow Im running again to my friend to borrow his RAMs and try it with them.

If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to ask. Im really struggling here...

This is going to be easier to do this in Ubuntu than in Windows.

Boot Ubuntu and play with the live install first to make sure everything is working, DON'T INSTALL Ubuntu until after doing this.

Only if everything works, then install, and choose "Something Else". What this step is going to do is allow you to remove any of the partitions on the drive. This guarantees that the disk will be empty.

Afterwards, allow Ubuntu to auto format the drive and continue its installation.

If you're going to dual boot with Windows, uncheck the box "Update while installing", as Windows is going to overwrite everything anyhow, and you may as well save the time. Otherwise, allow updates to download, however this is a step that can be done later.

The reason that I recommend this procedure is that I am unaware of doing this under Windows, however I admittedly realize that it is possible.

The most important thing to remember is that for Windows to work it requires that it be installed first.

6 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

This is going to be easier to do this in Ubuntu than in Windows.

Boot Ubuntu and play with the live install first to make sure everything is working, DON'T INSTALL Ubuntu until after doing this.

Only if everything works, then install, and choose "Something Else". What this step is going to do is allow you to remove any of the partitions on the drive. This guarantees that the disk will be empty.

Afterwards, allow Ubuntu to auto format the drive and continue its installation.

If you're going to dual boot with Windows, uncheck the box "Update while installing", as Windows is going to overwrite everything anyhow, and you may as well save the time. Otherwise, allow updates to download, however this is a step that can be done later.

The reason that I recommend this procedure is that I am unaware of doing this under Windows, however I admittedly realize that it is possible.

The most important thing to remember is that for Windows to work it requires that it be installed first.

Already tried to play in ubuntu live install without installation. Sometimes it freezes even before ubuntu is loaded from USB. Sometimes it boots but freezes after minute or two. Already tried multiple USB sticks, so USB sticks are fine.

Also i was able to format SSD multiple times during installation before it freezes and second SSD was formatted before i plugged it into the computer 

6 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

What BIOS are you running? Your CPU requires BIOS version 2606.

Tried several bios versions, to many to list but basically every bios version released in past year and half (like 8 bios versions on both MB) I already spent two days trying to fix this. And tried to install new OS around 70 times

So after another day of struggle i bought AMD 5800X3D, put it together with the old MB, old RAM and all other old things from the first system and everything works fine. I still do not understand how it is possible that the AMD 5900X with RAMs were working at my friends MB (computer) just fine even under the load from benchmark, but 5900X is not working for me at all. 

TLDR: Problem caused by faulty CPU. Fixed by upgrade from AMD 5900X to AMD 5800X3D