Need Laser Project Recommendation

never_here

Want a laser projector.  The Samsung mini laser projector actually seems really nice to me.  Reviews seems like its good enough, but i'm never sure why most reviews end with a, dont get it, its not worth it.

Why isn't it worth it?  What cheaper alternatives are there?  They often mention there are cheaper options, but never really list them.  Living in Canada, and most reviews are US based, our options are often more limited, so i'm not sure if the samsung one is actually good enough?  Everything else i can find is about $900, same with the samsung one.  I've seen some anker ones cheaper as well, but they just dont seem great, and they are more meant to be portable.  I dont quite need portability, but i dont mind it being small.  Quality > size for me. 

i have a room about 10ft, and prefer to keep projector at the back.  Silent is important to me, as well as general quality.  Video doesn't need to be bright, as it'll be in a dark room.  I will add a screen in future, but for now, it'll be on a wall.  Will this work?  Or is a normal projector still really the best thing.  Do new projectors still sound like a lawn mower?  I've had a good amount of experience from cheap to expensive, but the newest one i've used is about 5 years old, and its still LOUD.  

I want to pay less than 1k, and at bestbuy, everything is like, epson mini laser projector or samsung mini laser projector.  I'm okay of it provides a good picture, 1080p quality, and a decent screen size.  Even better if it can auto adjust and not have to be straight on, as it allows me to place it better and not in the way.  

Any good recommendations?

What kind of screen size are you looking to achieve?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

8 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

What kind of screen size are you looking to achieve?

about 100"

1 hour ago, never_here said:

I've had a good amount of experience from cheap to expensive, but the newest one i've used is about 5 years old, and its still LOUD.

I have an Epson from 5+ years ago and in normal lamp mode it is loud and way too bright. It's actually fatiguing to watch at full brightness and rarely provides a benefit in a dark room. I have mine set to eco mode and it's whisper quiet. You can't hear the fan at all. 

25 minutes ago, johnt said:

I have an Epson from 5+ years ago and in normal lamp mode it is loud and way too bright. It's actually fatiguing to watch at full brightness and rarely provides a benefit in a dark room. I have mine set to eco mode and it's whisper quiet. You can't hear the fan at all. 

that is VERY interesting.... hows the epson?  and you aren't using some high end epson are you?  i've seen ones around 800-1000 CAD

37 minutes ago, never_here said:

that is VERY interesting.... hows the epson?  and you aren't using some high end epson are you?  i've seen ones around 800-1000 CAD

I wouldn't call it high-end, no, but I would call it a prosumer model for that time era. It's the Epson 3020. I paid $900 USD for it on clearance at a local Best Buy in 2016, but I think MSRP was around $1,600. It is long since discontinued, of course, but I'm sure there is a more modern version. It is back lit with a lamp as mentioned... not a laser model. We have a laser model Epson and it's quieter at full output. But that cost around $2,000.

The problem comes from the budget. All of these items are built to a price, and if they have to cut costs to meet a certain budget, creature comforts like lamp output, quality of the fan, the filters, etc. all get lower quality as you decrease the price. It might be worth your time and hard earned money to save longer for a better product than to drop 50% to 75% of a good model just to have it. I call it the price of admission... 

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying it. Just saying weigh your options. Any projector under $1,000 is going to have limitations purely by design. Even my 3020 has issues, like the iris mode is very frustrating (improves black levels, but it's an electric controlled diaphragm and it buzzes like crazy) and other issues (the lens doesn't shift so placement took HOURS and I had to get very creative by using long bolts and stop nuts for fine adjustments, the power plug is recessed into the device to a point where it's difficult to use a 90-degree adapter and the included cord is too large to sit flush against the rear wall, etc.). 

Just sharing my experience