T5610 power supply upgrade from 825W to 1300W?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
6 hours ago, NixTheFolf said:

I would do a diy setup but I don't have much money and spent most of my budget on the T5610 already and this is the final upgrade that I could make to it that would fit it perfectly to my needs.

I chose for a Tesla K80 mainly for its price to VRAM at 24GBs for $90~ as the workloads that I mainly use fits perfect for the card for both the price and the performance it offers.

I would love to change the distribution plate to something like in the T7610 as it both natively had the 1300w PSUs in it and extra VGA rails, but the only two issues is the size of it fitting in my case, though I would not mind cutting a hole on the side for it to fit if it is the case, and second is the connectors to all the components I am not sure go with it, and if they have adapters if they don't.

Below is the T5610 PDB in my current system:
https://www.parts-dell.cc/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/m6np2-dell-precision-workstation-t5600-t5610-5810-7810-desktop-power-distribution-board.jpg
And below this is the T7600's PDB which has more VGA ports which fit, but I am not sure for the CPU connectors, I believe the motherboard connector is compatible but not entirely sure as I could not find much info about the compatibility of the connectors:
Dell MGW39 Precision T7600 Power Distribution Board With Cables for sale  online | eBay

Right I forgot the t7610 does a weird dual 24pin thingy which isnt adaptable.

Sadly I dont reallt know of a way to get that to work as adapters dont seem to exist

Hello, so I have a T5610 workstation I am using as a render & AI server currently. I have a RTX 3060 as well as two E5-2667 v2 CPUs in it and 128gb of ram. It currently has a 825W PSU and I would like to upgrade it to be able to run a Tesla K80 (TDP 300W) in it along side the RTX 3060. I have heard that some T7610s' 1300W PSU models do fit and run in T5610s but I have also heard that because of the power distribution board (PDB), the PSU is not able to provide more than around 900-1000W.

Some people have tried to do this before and have suggested to use the T7610's power distribution board, but I am unsure if it would fit in the case, and how the connectors would go for the motherboard and other plugs so I am unsure if it would work. So right now I am kind of stuck in how I would go about upgrading this PSU and having the computer being able to not be limited by the PDB.

You could also look for doing a diy setup and selling the t5610. This stuff has gotten really really cheap.

Your idea of psu upgrade does work as long as you also change the distribution plate. Any reason for a tesla k80? Whats it supposed to do?

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

You could also look for doing a diy setup and selling the t5610. This stuff has gotten really really cheap.

Your idea of psu upgrade does work as long as you also change the distribution plate. Any reason for a tesla k80? Whats it supposed to do?

I would do a diy setup but I don't have much money and spent most of my budget on the T5610 already and this is the final upgrade that I could make to it that would fit it perfectly to my needs.

I chose for a Tesla K80 mainly for its price to VRAM at 24GBs for $90~ as the workloads that I mainly use fits perfect for the card for both the price and the performance it offers.

I would love to change the distribution plate to something like in the T7610 as it both natively had the 1300w PSUs in it and extra VGA rails, but the only two issues is the size of it fitting in my case, though I would not mind cutting a hole on the side for it to fit if it is the case, and second is the connectors to all the components I am not sure go with it, and if they have adapters if they don't.

https://www.parts-dell.cc/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/m6np2-dell-precision-workstation-t5600-t5610-5810-7810-desktop-power-distribution-board.jpg
And below this is the T7600's PDB which has more VGA ports which fit, but I am not sure for the CPU connectors, I believe the motherboard connector is compatible but not entirely sure as I could not find much info about the compatibility of the connectors:
Dell MGW39 Precision T7600 Power Distribution Board With Cables for sale  online | eBay

6 hours ago, NixTheFolf said:

Right I forgot the t7610 does a weird dual 24pin thingy which isnt adaptable.

Sadly I dont reallt know of a way to get that to work as adapters dont seem to exist

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Right I forgot the t7610 does a weird dual 24pin thingy which isn't adaptable.

Sadly I don't really know of a way to get that to work as adapters don't seem to exist

Yeah that is what I was afraid of... I think I am just going to do a bit more research for my PDB I have in my system since if it can handle only 200W more at around 1000W max (which is what I have seen from people trying to do the same kind of upgrade), then that would be all I need instead of the full 1300W.

Thank you anyways!