Need advice on transporting PC setup to a new apartment

Hello Everyone,

I am about to move out to a new apartment and will be moving my things myself along with some helpers. I am concerned about how I will be transporting my PC and Two monitors safely.

It is a mid tower case with an RTX 3050, I think it is a small card relatively speaking and I would be transporting it so that the graphics card is vertical perpendicular to the ground.

However since I have never transported a PC before I am not aware of any issues that may happen. I also no longer have the boxes for the PC or my monitors so your advices on what I can do to transport them safely is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much

4 hours ago, Reiidar said:

Hello Everyone,

I am about to move out to a new apartment and will be moving my things myself along with some helpers. I am concerned about how I will be transporting my PC and Two monitors safely.

It is a mid tower case with an RTX 3050, I think it is a small card relatively speaking and I would be transporting it so that the graphics card is vertical perpendicular to the ground.

However since I have never transported a PC before I am not aware of any issues that may happen. I also no longer have the boxes for the PC or my monitors so your advices on what I can do to transport them safely is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much

I would take out the GPU and put it in its box that it came with (if you have a prebuilt, just take a box where it fits into and put it in there) just to make sure that it won't break in case you drive over a big bump in the road. and I would make sure that all the spare PSU cables can't hit the motherboard or anything else.

The monitors you can just put into your car, I'd put them on the seats with the display against the seat. Then you can fasten their seatbelt and they won't fly towards you if you break. But don't 100% rely on me, I've never transported a PC, that's what I would do if I had to

Don't worry. PCs are not made out of glass, nor are they unstable bombs.

I would just put it in the car you'll be driving. Preferably have it in a spot where it can't move around that much (to prevent scratches and bumps). If you are extra concerned about scratches then you could wrap the chassi in a blanket or some other fabric to prevent scratches. I highly recommend wrapping the monitor though since getting scratches on that sucks.

You probably don't need to take out your graphics card like DreamCat suggested, but it doesn't hurt if you want to be extra careful. That advice is better suited for people with really big graphics cards and that might need to ship it in less controlled environments (like a PC builder shipping it in containers or large trucks where things gets thrown around).

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Don't worry. PCs are not made out of glass, nor are they unstable bombs.

I would just put it in the car you'll be driving. Preferably have it in a spot where it can't move around that much (to prevent scratches and bumps). If you are extra concerned about scratches then you could wrap the chassi in a blanket or some other fabric to prevent scratches. I highly recommend wrapping the monitor though since getting scratches on that sucks.

You probably don't need to take out your graphics card like DreamCat suggested, but it doesn't hurt if you want to be extra careful. That advice is better suited for people with really big graphics cards and that might need to ship it in less controlled environments (like a PC builder shipping it in containers or large trucks where things gets thrown around).

The roads are smooth and I'll be driving knowing I have a PC with me so given how the 3050 isn't a heavy card I probably just have to cover the case so it doesn't get any scratches, same with the monitors as you and @DreamCat04 said. Now that I think about it, moving my ergonomic chair is a harder ordeal unless I disassemble it. And I tightened the screws again just yesterday.

22 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, right, 3050s aren't that big, and if his roads are smooth, he can just put it in his car somewhere where it can't get thrown around

Put the monitors in a towel and dont lean anything on the screen, put a seatbelt around the tower and drive to the new place. As others have said maybe remove your gpu, I've never bothered the last few times I've moved cross country ( and the roads in Australia are fucked) but you know do as I say not as I do I guess 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige