m.2 drive not showing correctly

PsychGaming

So one of my 2tb m.2 drives isn't showing up so I went into the bios to see if it was showing up there, it wasn't. So I went into the bios and hardset it to look for gen 3 and got a drive to show up but it's only 2gb. Shows as MN-5216 and not the MKNSSDTS2TB-D8 label on the box.

Motherboard: msi b650 tomahawk wifi Cpu: ryzen 7 7700x Psu: MSI MAG a850g Storage: Mushkin Tempest – 2TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe 1.4

Troubleshooting: I have tried a different drive (Mushkin Vortex – 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe) and it works in all slots

I've tried just running the one wonky m.2 in all 3 of the different slots nothing.

And now I'm at the point of manually change the gen and getting it to show up but only 2gb

Any and all help is mightily appreciated.

Might want to try it in another computer if you can to confirm, but seems like a faulty drive.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

dang this my first build so i dont really have another computer to test it on 

Is this still under warranty? Like Kilrah said, this definitely sounds like a faulty drive considering that it's only showing up as 2gb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I registered, to report my insights on this issue.

I had the same problem and a strange mood lead me to buy a second nvme and motherboard to pin the issue down.

I tested two motherboards:
A) Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX (bios: F3h)
B) ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI (bios: 0823 x64)

and two SSDs:
1) Mushkin Tempest 2TB, M.2 (MKNSSDTS2TB-D8)
2) Kingston NV2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD 1TB, M.2

Here is my research setup:

- installed one SSD at a Time on every slot.

- used PCIe protocol gen4, gen3 and auto.

- had no GPU installed and used the CPU graphics

- disabled CSM/SecureBoot

SSD 2 (Kingston) worked properly in both motherboards A & B.

SSD 1 (Mushkin) showed the following symptoms:
* after BIOS reset, first boot the model was correctly detected but with 0 GB capacity.

* on every second boot, the model was not properly detected as MN-5261 with 2.1 GB capacity.

* When I remove the SSD1 and reboot, then install the SSD1 the model was again, correctly detected but with 0 GB capacity.

So I have more information now, but no solution.

On my old Z170 motherboard and on my laptop, the SSD1 does work properly.

I think it's an incompatibility with B650 chipset? Or I am the most unlucky guy, receiving two bad motherboards 😄

I do not know if the CPU may cause problems, I used "AMD Ryzen 5 7600x" in all cases.

Currently talking to Gigabyte (not helpful) and Mushkin (helpful) support. Will report in on any Eureka!

• 10 months later...

Hello, I had the same problem with a 1Tb Mushkin M.2 tempest drive, but it showed as MN-5216 only after I updated my bios from F15 to F16g(newest version), I have a gigabyte aorus pro ac board. I reverted back to F15 bios version and now it shows up as it should and works fine. I hope this can help someone in the future. Maybe there is a problem with the drive and it not being compatible with some bios versions I really dont know.