Separate Audio and Video Out from PC - HDMI

PraneethMv

Not sure if the title describes the problem properly. Please feel free to move this thread if not posted in the correct place.

I have a HT set up with Denon AVR-1713, TV and my PC as a source. Right now the whole thing is connected as PC>TV>AVR. Since the AVR is a bit old it does not support 4K HDR passthrough, hence using TV's ARC for sound. However I ran into a bit of an issue. TV does not send pure 5.1CH to the AVR so it defaults to one of the virtual surround programs (either Dolby PLII Music or DTS Neo:6 Music).

I wanted to know if there is any way to send Video Out and Audio Out separately from my PC using two HDMI cables? I am aware that there are HDMI Audio extractors but they are pretty expensive (at least in Amazon India).

PC has AMD RX580 which has 2 HDMI ports and the motherboard itself has one. So ideally I want it to be one cable to my TV for video and one cable to the AVR for pure 5.1 audio. 

Can someone please help me with this? or just say if this is even possible?

Thanks in advance!

yea you can. you need to run dual monitor in windows. set tv as primary. its the only way

once done in video settings take the avr and place it corner to corner so you have a less of a time accidentally mousing over to it.

otherwise youll need some sort of a hdmi splitter.

this sort of seems to do the job. avsforum has people with it saying it works good compared to amazon reviews
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Splitter-Support-Toslink/dp/B0755TB82Q

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

yea you can. you need to run dual monitor in windows. set tv as primary. its the only way

once done in video settings take the avr and place it corner to corner so you have a less of a time accidentally mousing over to it.

otherwise youll need some sort of a hdmi splitter.

this sort of seems to do the job. avsforum has people with it saying it works good compared to amazon reviews
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Splitter-Support-Toslink/dp/B0755TB82Q

Thanks for the reply! This totally worked! I have separate audio going to AVR, basically the 2 monitor you setup you mentioned. However my AVR still only outputs virtual Dolby PLII/DTS Neo 6. At this point I'm not sure if it's the AVR that's the problem or my GPU isn't giving out 5.1.

Thanks for the help though! Will dig around more in AVR settings if there's something I'm missing. I have enabled 5.1 from windows Sound settings, so I don't think there's anything left to change from my PC.

3 hours ago, PraneethMv said:

Thanks for the reply! This totally worked! I have separate audio going to AVR, basically the 2 monitor you setup you mentioned. However my AVR still only outputs virtual Dolby PLII/DTS Neo 6. At this point I'm not sure if it's the AVR that's the problem or my GPU isn't giving out 5.1.

Thanks for the help though! Will dig around more in AVR settings if there's something I'm missing. I have enabled 5.1 from windows Sound settings, so I don't think there's anything left to change from my PC.

yea it sounds like your denon is set on the wrong thing. try to set it to auto for the format.

6 hours ago, circeseye said:

yea it sounds like your denon is set on the wrong thing. try to set it to auto for the format.

I just tried it with my laptop, it has sound by Harman/Kardon. With that the AVR did show "Multi Channel In" on it's display. It always defaulted to either Stereo or this virtual Dolby/DTS thing. I did play around in the Windows Sound menu on my PC, set it to 5.1 no luck. Properties tab on my PC shows that my AVR supports 8 channels and all the Dolby DD+/DTS:X formats.

I'm not really sure if this is a problem of AMD. I searched a few threads on r/AMD and I think few people do have problems getting pure 5.1 out of AMD GPUs. Found no solution though.

Edit: I have no idea how, just re-tried everything, reset sound settings, installed the Dolby and DTS apps from Microsoft Store and set it to Dolby/DTS for Home Theatre in Control Panel. It works! AVR shows DTS-HD MA when played through Windows Media Player (Win11), but for some reason Kodi does not output DTS. Anyway, will try to figure that out too.

Thanks a lot for the help! 2 monitor thing works!

6 hours ago, PraneethMv said:

I just tried it with my laptop, it has sound by Harman/Kardon. With that the AVR did show "Multi Channel In" on it's display. It always defaulted to either Stereo or this virtual Dolby/DTS thing. I did play around in the Windows Sound menu on my PC, set it to 5.1 no luck. Properties tab on my PC shows that my AVR supports 8 channels and all the Dolby DD+/DTS:X formats.

I'm not really sure if this is a problem of AMD. I searched a few threads on r/AMD and I think few people do have problems getting pure 5.1 out of AMD GPUs. Found no solution though.

Edit: I have no idea how, just re-tried everything, reset sound settings, installed the Dolby and DTS apps from Microsoft Store and set it to Dolby/DTS for Home Theatre in Control Panel. It works! AVR shows DTS-HD MA when played through Windows Media Player (Win11), but for some reason Kodi does not output DTS. Anyway, will try to figure that out too.

Thanks a lot for the help! 2 monitor thing works!

i have amd 6800 and a denon x3700h. 5.1 or 7.1 the denon in auto switches to what the format is even atmos. switching to pure does the same.

that "multi channel in" windows broke the atmos and dts for home theater early this year. so when its set as that the avr says "multi channel in" only when windows is set to 5.1 or 7.1 will the avr say what format your using.

as for the apps check their audio settings. i mainly use media player classic and have never used kodi but it should have output settings. there are a lot of members that use kobi. hope they see and can jump in for clarification
but remember the movie or show will need to be encoded to play dts otherwise it falls to dolby unless you force set your avr to use dts over dd