PC resetting randomly - no BSOD

Swi1ch
Specs:

5900x
3080TI
MSI X570 Tomahawk
32GB Teamgroup 3600mhz
Corsair RM1000x

This machine is just over a year old and until now has had no issues since the day I built it.

Symptoms:

Starting roughly two weeks ago, PC started either resetting itself or freezing completely. I would say 80% of the time it just resets (Drops power entirely and reboots), and 20% of the time freezes (Power remains on, fans are spinning, monitors are on - just no response to input at all).

Event log simply has 'Kernel Power 41' as a critical error, and in the warnings I'm getting some 'WHEA' processor errors.

I have set the recovery options to show a BSOD instead of resetting, but I have yet to see a BSOD - just resets or freezes.

These issues happen when idle or under light use.

What I've done so far:

Apparently the Windows 10 update a few weeks ago is known to cause BSODs - however the workaround for this has not made any difference. The issues caused by the latest update seem to be around booting too, which is not an issue for me.

Full reformat, all fresh drivers etc up to date.

Flashed BIOS to most recent version.

Ran memtest for 8 full passes / 12 hours with no errors.

Turned off XMP - same issues.

Any suggestions for what else I can try?

I had this issue and it is caused by a gpu overclock that just too overkill. So i have to disable it so now its fine and i also disabled the Fast boot i heard it can cause these kinds of issues 

6 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

I had this issue and it is caused by a gpu overclock that just too overkill. So i have to disable it so now its fine and i also disabled the Fast boot i heard it can cause these kinds of issues 

I haven't overclocked my GPU at all - completely stock.

I've tried with fast boot or and off - same issue with both.

37 minutes ago, Swi1ch said:
Specs:

5900x
3080TI
MSI X570 Tomahawk
32GB Teamgroup 3600mhz
Corsair RM1000x

This machine is just over a year old and until now has had no issues since the day I built it.

Symptoms:

Starting roughly two weeks ago, PC started either resetting itself or freezing completely. I would say 80% of the time it just resets (Drops power entirely and reboots), and 20% of the time freezes (Power remains on, fans are spinning, monitors are on - just no response to input at all).

Event log simply has 'Kernel Power 41' as a critical error, and in the warnings I'm getting some 'WHEA' processor errors.

I have set the recovery options to show a BSOD instead of resetting, but I have yet to see a BSOD - just resets or freezes.

These issues happen when idle or under light use.

What I've done so far:

Apparently the Windows 10 update a few weeks ago is known to cause BSODs - however the workaround for this has not made any difference. The issues caused by the latest update seem to be around booting too, which is not an issue for me.

Full reformat, all fresh drivers etc up to date.

Flashed BIOS to most recent version.

Ran memtest for 8 full passes / 12 hours with no errors.

Turned off XMP - same issues.

Any suggestions for what else I can try?

I'm experiencing an issue similar to this but related to my samsung 970 evo plus. Disk usage spikes to 100% playing high demand games or certain game maps, the issue can be common and come out of nowhere and usually most solutions dont work. Can you open task manager and see if any usage spikes when the issue occurs? any spikes in usage, not just ssd spikes

3 minutes ago, Spoon3775 said:

I'm experiencing an issue similar to this but related to my samsung 970 evo plus. Disk usage spikes to 100% playing high demand games or certain game maps, the issue can be common and come out of nowhere and usually most solutions dont work. Can you open task manager and see if any usage spikes when the issue occurs? any spikes in usage, not just ssd spikes

I'm not sure how I'd check this, as when the issue occurs the PC just completely powers off or completely freezes - there's no warning or delay. I wouldn't be able to check task manager.

1 minute ago, Swi1ch said:

I'm not sure how I'd check this, as when the issue occurs the PC just completely powers off or completely freezes - there's no warning or delay. I wouldn't be able to check task manager.

Keep task manager on and do what you normally would, keep looking over at task manager to see if anything happens before the pc crashes or freezes. Its hard to say honestly because issues like these are hard to diagnose most of the time, it could be a variety of issues. Could it be the PSU?

6 minutes ago, Spoon3775 said:

Keep task manager on and do what you normally would, keep looking over at task manager to see if anything happens before the pc crashes or freezes. Its hard to say honestly because issues like these are hard to diagnose most of the time, it could be a variety of issues. Could it be the PSU?

PSU maybe could be at fault, but because I'm having freezes where power is still on I'm leaning away from that - if the PSU was on the fritz then it should power down all of the time.

I've also since had an actual BSOD with reference to volmgr.sys failing - probably not the PSU. Still could be drives, or mobo, or CPU though so no idea what to do next.