I need help with ram speeds

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
8 minutes ago, raven39876 said:

I am wondering, I have a few old system that I'm making a server out of. I have a bunch of DDR3 ram sticks from the PCs that I'm moving to one of them and still have some left in the other ones so they work. The sticks I put into the server pc were 4x4GB that run at 1600 MHz (I think) but when I change one of them into a 8GB stick the speed caps at 1066. So the question is should I use 16GB at 1600 MHz or up it to 20GB but run at slower 1066 MHz? 

If you are hitting a ram limit then the extra 4gbs will help with speed, if not then keep 1600mhz

though you potentially can keep both depending on the ram ics on that 8gb stick, most ddr3 ics should do atleast 2000 with some of the really shit ones maxing out at a pitiful 1600 but ics differ in oc capabilities characteristics and method so there is no universal ram oc that works on everything.

the 8gb stick could also be incompatible with the rest of the sticks cause sometimes one ram ic just doesnt wanna work together with another ram ic so even if you degrade ram speed all the way to a snails pace 800mhz it still wont work. If all of them use the exact same ic then guaranteed working

I am wondering, I have a few old system that I'm making a server out of. I have a bunch of DDR3 ram sticks from the PCs that I'm moving to one of them and still have some left in the other ones so they work. The sticks I put into the server pc were 4x4GB that run at 1600 MHz (I think) but when I change one of them into a 8GB stick the speed caps at 1066. So the question is should I use 16GB at 1600 MHz or up it to 20GB but run at slower 1066 MHz? 

To be honest, it all comes down to your personal preference and what you're planning to use the pc for and what it will be running. I would personally go with 1600 Mhz since i dont think its worth lowering your ram speed by 600 Mhz just for 4 GB

8 minutes ago, raven39876 said:

If you are hitting a ram limit then the extra 4gbs will help with speed, if not then keep 1600mhz

though you potentially can keep both depending on the ram ics on that 8gb stick, most ddr3 ics should do atleast 2000 with some of the really shit ones maxing out at a pitiful 1600 but ics differ in oc capabilities characteristics and method so there is no universal ram oc that works on everything.

the 8gb stick could also be incompatible with the rest of the sticks cause sometimes one ram ic just doesnt wanna work together with another ram ic so even if you degrade ram speed all the way to a snails pace 800mhz it still wont work. If all of them use the exact same ic then guaranteed working