Put together my first build. Would love some feedback

Hugh_G
Go to solution Solved by vertigo220,
2 minutes ago, Hugh_G said:

Not necessarily ultra but definitely high  

I'm not super familiar with various GPUs and their capabilities, but based on the little research I've done lately, the 6700XT should be more than capable of 1080p and 1440p at high and probably even ultra. 4K should be ok for most games, even with high or possibly ultra, but more demanding games may struggle a bit, though I think it would be satisfactory for you. Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable in that area can chime in.

After saving for a long, long time, it’s time for me to build my first pc. But because it’s my first build, I have a lot of questions. So please tell me where I fucked up.

Budget and location

Considering I've saved for a long time, my budget is not set in stone but I aimed for €1500. It’s in euros because I live in the Netherlands, so keep in mind prices may differ compared to where you are. 

Aim

The idea is to have a build that will do everything pretty well. I overspent on the RAM and CPU, because I’ve had issues where these components were lacking.

For gaming, I want to play any game at 1080p60Hz, and some at 1440p60Hz or even 4k. I don’t play multiplayer games so I don’t care about high fps beyond 60. I do intend to get into VR, mostly to play Half-Life Alyx.

I also sometimes need to do CAD work and simulations for school in Siemens NX12, along with some programming and MatLab work. 

Finally, I want to edit some 4k videos in the near future.

Monitors

I have 4k tv I will try to use, but if I run into issues I do have a 4k monitor in mind, the Samsung LS43BM700UUXEN 

Peripherals

All components not mentioned are not included in the around €1500 Budget. I can choose those on my own.

Why I’m upgrading

My current laptop is starting to act up, and an upgrade has been a long time coming.

image.thumb.png.e97e4d60e7985495cf6cbd8a4c28e935.png

Motherboard

I am aware that the B660 chipset needs a bios upgrade to work with the 13600K. Which is why I went with a board that can be upgraded without a CPU. Other than that I really didn’t know what to base my choice on. Is a B660 chipset good enough for the 13600K? Should I consider a board that allows overclocking?

GPU

The GPU costs €425

So with intel 13th gen and newer motherboards to utilize all of its capabilities DDR5 would be better and faster than DDR4 RAM. Also Noctua does make good coolers i suggest going with the NH-U12A little bigger for 13th gen intel chips and has two fans. Also you have a micro ATX motherboard for a regular size ATX case (not sure if you knew that). And im not sure what you want to do with your PC but 95% of games only need 16GB of RAM unless you are video editing or something like that you dont need 32GB. For the GPU I would recommend getting a well known brand graphics card even if you have to get a used one. I've never herd of a Power Color graphics card company. 

56 minutes ago, Hugh_G said:

For gaming, I want to play any game at 1080p60Hz, and some at 1440p60Hz or even 4k.

But at what quality? Ultra or just playable regardless of quality?

You might need more storage if you're doing a lot with videos/CAD/etc. Also, look at SK hynix for the SSD, might be able to save some money or get a 2TB for only slightly more, and they're excellent drives. I prefer them over Samsung.

Case is probably the most personal of all components. Key thing is to make sure there's enough space, especially for the GPU, and cooling.

47 minutes ago, Toggpound said:

I've never herd of a Power Color graphics card company. 

It's a reputable company that has been making GPUs for years and AFAIK is known for good quality. Don't see an issue with it as long as reviews are good.

3 minutes ago, vertigo220 said:

But at what quality? Ultra or just playable regardless of quality?

2 minutes ago, Hugh_G said:

I'm not super familiar with various GPUs and their capabilities, but based on the little research I've done lately, the 6700XT should be more than capable of 1080p and 1440p at high and probably even ultra. 4K should be ok for most games, even with high or possibly ultra, but more demanding games may struggle a bit, though I think it would be satisfactory for you. Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable in that area can chime in.