NEW PC CRASHING

CobalTicz
Go to solution Solved by CobalTicz,

I changed the PSU to a new rm850 and no more crashes. Must have been the psu 

So bit of a story but I'll try to keep it short. 

New PC. (Windows 11)

New Parts

I7 12700k

Geforce RTX 3070 TUF Gaming edition

Asus TUF Gaming z690 Plus Wifi

32 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum I believe but I couldn't locate model at the moment

Re-Used Parts

1 Samsung 850 evo 512GB SSD

2 WD 1TB Drives in RAID 0 

Corsair RM 750Watt from 2015. This is the year of purchase not the year of manufacture 

Currently have 3 Monitors Plugged in (Misc Brands) 

Had a long battle with the RAID array because the bios VMD and Intel's Rapid storage tech was missing a driver. Finally solved that issue. 

Thought I was done but new issue is this, I've been launching up CS GO and it crashes after like 5-15 mins in game. The kind of crash you experience if you were to have a power failure. Just shuts off immediately. Have not tried other games yet...will update as I do. 

The things I tried to fix this were to go from XMP 2 --> then to XMP 1 --> then to AUTO ( no fix)

I also tried with Resizable Bar on and off (no fix) 

Other than that I haven't changed any other settings in BIOS. 

I also checked to make sure the GPU and CPU fans were spinning to eliminate overheating as an issue. They were...the last crash the GPU was only at 52 deg C. 

Pls Help lol ! 

Only other thing that might be relevant is I borrowed one PSU cable from another system in the house. For an additonal 8 pin GPU plug.  Both are Corsair and I checked the Pin outs with a multimeter to verify it won't fry my system. So I believe it should be fine. ( I had to borrow a cable because mine never shipped with 2 of these cables.) 

Could there be a chance that this PSU even though its 750W should be substantial enough just isn't up to the challenge of a more modern system????? 

I should also note I've been having issues with my speedtests. My download speed is fine but my uploads continue to only test at 0MBps. This is the first time I've ever experienced this. I am hardwired into router. 

750W is the bare minimum now in a new system. Yours is about 8 years old.

1) What speed is your RAM set at ? Did you set the CL/CAS manually ? Your CPU supports: DDR 4 - 3200mhz, DDR 5 - 4800mhz. Set your speed then all timings to Auto, manually if you have to.

2) 2TB SSDs are relatively cheap, I would keep the raid 0 array in external storage for backups, aka drive image.

Checked your network drivers lately ? Download from Asus and reinstall. Are you running Wi-Fi ? If wired turn it off in BIOS. Microsoft wants you to run wi-fi.

Also turn off IPv6 in network protocols.

Without knowing the model of the power supply, it's hard to say, but a 750W, especially a Corsair RM, should provide sufficient power. The CPU and GPU are the two big power draws, and combined they should be using ~450W max. Everything else combined shouldn't push that up even close to what that PSU should be able to output. But again, can't say for sure without knowing what it is. Also, being that old, it's possible it's aging and not able to provide the power it's rated at, but seems unlikely. All that said, if the entire computer is crashing like that, it definitely seems like a power issue. Possibly RAM, but that would more likely lead to freezing then crashing. One possibility is the PSU may have enough power total, but it might be supplied on two different rails whereas you might have all the load on one, in which case you'd just need to split the load between the two.

For the upload issue, it may be your upload is fine and whatever you're using to test it is just having issues, maybe due to some router config. Try going to a file upload site like megaup dot net and upload a large file (something legal and non-private, like a Linux iso) and see what speed it goes at. This is assuming it's just an internet upload issue and LAN upload speeds are fine, which is a differentiation you need to make as well.

4 hours ago, CobalTicz said:

Corsair RM 750Watt from 2015.

The one with an orange label?

005001.jpg.8d626859d7e49578e397ecd0641cd238.jpg

I changed the PSU to a new rm850 and no more crashes. Must have been the psu