Asus Z590 Red CPU Light

ELSknutson

I have been having issue with a blue screen error That reads Unexpected_Kernal_Mode_Trap, So have spent the better part of a month trying different solutions to fix the Issue.  

I have done a bios update did not fix the issue

installed new and old drivers for all components  did not fix the issue

ran hardware checks on my CPU,GPU, RAM, and drives no faults 

Replaced my ram and also tested it in different slots no fauts 

Freshly installed Windows 10 did not fix the issue

Freshly installed Windows 11 did not fix the issue

After draining the entire custom loop taking everything out cleaning the system that has been running fine since Aug 2021 and putting it back together I noticed something.

Every randomly I noticed that the red cpu LED will come on for a split second then turn off and also there in my Corsair ique software it reads that one of the test points on the motherboard is at 127c. I am not sure if its a bug with the software or there is an actual issue with it. The computer still works fine playing games, watching youtube, watching twitch, but as soon as I try to watch a movie or something on Nexflix, Amazon prime video or Disney+ it crashes and it does this in any browser. 

Corsair 5000X case, MSI RTX3080ti GPU, Asus Z590A MoBo, 10900KF CPU, 32GB corsair vengeance RGB 3600mhz DDR4, 2x Samsung 1tb NVME SSD's, 850W EVGA B5 PSU. Custom watercooled. 

Hi, 

If the CPU Light comes on then I would suggest take the CPU out and put it back in. 

If this does not fix the issue then buy a new CPU. What I would suggest is, If your motherboard supports a 7th gen Intel CPU then get a i3-7th gen CPU from a store like Amazon. The cost of the CPU will be cheap and you can return it after you have used it.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, ShaafArfan said:

Hi, 

If the CPU Light comes on then I would suggest take the CPU out and put it back in. 

If this does not fix the issue then buy a new CPU. What I would suggest is, If your motherboard supports a 7th gen Intel CPU then get a i3-7th gen CPU from a store like Amazon. The cost of the CPU will be cheap and you can return it after you have used it.

Thanks

I am at the point that If I'm going to do that I will likely just take the MoBo and CPU out and toss them and buy new. The computer is Custom Watercooled so doing something simple like swapping the CPU is an hour long task.  Also in 15 year of working on computer I have never had a bad intel CPU though this is a decent Idea. 

With the blue screen error you are getting and the steps you have taken to try alleviate and troubleshoot the issue I'd say it's an issue with your CPU or motherboard for sure, if you have not already, check the socket for any bent pins and reseat the CPU. If you are still having the same problem really the next logical test would be to test a different CPU in the system. If it still does it with a completely different CPU then it's most likely the motherboard. Really you can't get any further without reseating and then replacing the CPU. Depending on when the parts were purchased both the CPU and Motherboard could still be under warranty. 

It could also just be the board, I have ran into similar issues with other versions of the ZX90-A as well as the ZX90-E, both of which I have seen similar issues with either CPU or VGA lights coming on and the system running just fine, according to Asus it's a bug in their firmware which is "fixed" all the time but even after the updates it's still occasionally pops up. While there is the debug LED bug I've seen yours does seem like there is an actual issue.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

With the blue screen error you are getting and the steps you have taken to try alleviate and troubleshoot the issue I'd say it's an issue with your CPU or motherboard for sure, if you have not already, check the socket for any bent pins and reseat the CPU. If you are still having the same problem really the next logical test would be to test a different CPU in the system. If it still does it with a completely different CPU then it's most likely the motherboard. Really you can't get any further without reseating and then replacing the CPU. Depending on when the parts were purchased both the CPU and Motherboard could still be under warranty. 

It could also just be the board, I have ran into similar issues with other versions of the ZX90-A as well as the ZX90-E, both of which I have seen similar issues with either CPU or VGA lights coming on and the system running just fine, according to Asus it's a bug in their firmware which is "fixed" all the time but even after the updates it's still occasionally pops up. While there is the debug LED bug I've seen yours does seem like there is an actual issue.

This is my fear especially the thought of trying to RMA parts. Also not knowing weather its the MoBo or CPU is a pain in the ass as well because I will have to buy another cpu to test this theory and being custom water cooled it is a pain to swap cpu's. Also when I cleaned the computer out I re-installed the CPU with new thermal paste and everything and there were no bent pins. 

4 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

This is my fear especially the thought of trying to RMA parts. Also not knowing weather its the MoBo or CPU is a pain in the ass as well because I will have to buy another cpu to test this theory and being custom water cooled it is a pain to swap cpu's. Also when I cleaned the computer out I re-installed the CPU with new thermal paste and everything and there were no bent pins. 

If it was reseated fairly recently I'd say only way to know would be to test another CPU in it. If you have a local shop near you you could take in there and have them test it if they have a compatible CPU in stock. It is going to be harder due to the custom loop so it's really up to you, but I'd say you're looking at minimum a motherboard replacement. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

If you get that much heat on the MB identify where, is it North Bridge, South Bridge ?

As for swap to test, you're better off going to your local PC shop to have it done, as it was suggested.

17 hours ago, Cyberat said:

If you get that much heat on the MB identify where, is it North Bridge, South Bridge ?

As for swap to test, you're better off going to your local PC shop to have it done, as it was suggested.

Please update your information. NB and SB haven’t been used in a long time. A Z590 has no north bridge and south bridge. Just a CPU and the chipset. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?