Fujitsu S740 Voltage out of Range (12V)

MoVo

Hello all,

I recently purchased a refurbished Fujitsu S740 Thin Client with the Intention of using it as a small home server for some frequently used docker containers and home assistant. It came with 8GB RAM and a 16GB SSD (m.2 SATA). It seemed to work fine, but when I'm booting it up right now I am getting an error message along the lines of 

Voltage out of range: V_IN (12V)

It initially seemed to work fine, but eventually it started showing this error message. I didn't really change anything about it, the only change I made was replacing the 16GB SSD with a 240 GB m2-SATA SSD (had to be a little bit rough with the screw holding in the factory assembled one, but made sure not to damage the board).

Does anyone have an Idea what could cause this issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MoVo said:

Hello all,

I recently purchased a refurbished Fujitsu S740 Thin Client with the Intention of using it as a small home server for some frequently used docker containers and home assistant. It came with 8GB RAM and a 16GB SSD (m.2 SATA). It seemed to work fine, but when I'm booting it up right now I am getting an error message along the lines of 

It initially seemed to work fine, but eventually it started showing this error message. I didn't really change anything about it, the only change I made was replacing the 16GB SSD with a 240 GB m2-SATA SSD (had to be a little bit rough with the screw holding in the factory assembled one, but made sure not to damage the board).

Does anyone have an Idea what could cause this issue and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Did it come with the oem power supply?

Could be a few things but my first guess is the voltage out of the power supply is too low. 

From a quick Google search the input voltage should be 19v but if your supply is lower it might cause issues. 

A lot of these external power supply bricks typically output 12v instead of 19v so that is my logic on checking that first. 

Yes, it came with an OEM power supply unit. It also says 19V - 2.1A, so we should be fine there. Unfortunately I don't have anything to actually measure the voltage that being supplied by the PSU. However, I can't remember it having those issues on the first couple boots

16 minutes ago, MoVo said:

Yes, it came with an OEM power supply unit. It also says 19V - 2.1A, so we should be fine there. Unfortunately I don't have anything to actually measure the voltage that being supplied by the PSU. However, I can't remember it having those issues on the first couple boots

That is strange. Maybe try reseting the bios to factory defaults to see if it goes away. 

With these mini pcs, there isn't much troubleshooting that can be done. Especially without another power supply to test with. Only other thing I would do is to contact the seller to see if they have any other ideas. As a refurbishment company they might have seen it before. 

Unfortunately resetting the BIOS didn't help either. But according to the BIOS event logs, the error exists since the end of November, which roughly aligns with my SSD replacement and me actually wanting to put this thing to use (it has been sitting on my desk for three weeks at this point). Is there a chance that I did mess up the power circuitry on the board (the screw did sit very tight and did require a decent amount of pressure to become loose)? If that did indeed happen, I guess there is not really a chance for me to fix it myself, right?

I will definitely try to get in contact with the seller, but unfortunately they appear to be out of stock for these clients as well. Assuming I did indeed damage some part of the circuitry, what would be my best options to proceed?

• Visit some board level repair shop to let them take a look and see if they can fix it. I have no experience with these kinds of shops, but if the damage is relatively minor this should be fairly economical, right?
  • Try and get a similar ThinClient CPU wise and use the RAM and SSD from my current one as donor parts to get it fully specced (seems like prices have increased dramatically, probably due to limited supply over the holiday season)?