Motherboard's RAM slot possibly not working.

blattodephobia

TLDR: I have 4 sticks of RAM, but one RAM slot consistently doesn't acknowledge sticks

A while ago my PC crashed hard, not even a BSOD. Everything just froze up. Yesterday I noticed Windows reports having 12GB RAM installed, while my PC is supposed to have 4x4 GB DDR4 sticks. They've worked fine for 9 years already.

According to the BIOS of the mobo (Gigabyte X79-UP4), 4 sticks are installed, but memory channel A shows up empty (no CAS timings, frequencies,etc.). I think this could mean either the mobo is defective, or the RAM stick in the slot corresponding to channel A.

Here's what I did:

1. Swapped sticks in channel A and B -> the 4 sticks are still recognized, but channel A still shows up empty; BIOS reports 12GB RAM
  2. removed the stick that was in channel B (the one originally from channel A, and presumably the faulty one) -> the 4 sticks are still recognized, channel A still shows up empty (has RAM stick in it), channel B shows up empty (no stick in it); BIOS reports 8GB RAM

Bear in mind, in the second case, the RAM configuration with slots for channels A, C, and D is supported according to the mobo's manual (though there's a warning for a performance penalty).

I'd conclude that the mobo is somehow faulting. Is there anything else I could try to determine whether the cause might be in the RAM? (some wishful thinking on my side)

The CPU, if it's relevant, is i7-4820K.

Try both slots on channel a to make sure if its just a dead slot or dead ram channel

Try spraying the socket, back of the cpu, and said faulty ram channel with some 99% isopropyl which should clean any filth that may be causing the slot to malfunction

Hi blattodephobia

It's possible that there is a problem with either the motherboard or the RAM stick. In order to determine which is the cause of the issue, it would be best to try a few things.

First, try reseating the RAM sticks. This involves opening the case of your PC and removing each RAM stick from its slot, then carefully reinserting it and making sure it is securely in place. This can sometimes fix problems with the connection between the RAM and the motherboard.

If reseating the RAM sticks does not fix the problem, the next step would be to try using only one RAM stick at a time in each of the slots. This will help you determine if the problem is with a particular RAM stick or with the motherboard. If the same RAM stick does not work in any of the slots, it is likely that the RAM stick is defective and needs to be replaced. If a different RAM stick works in some of the slots but not others, the problem is likely with the motherboard.

It's also worth checking the BIOS settings to make sure that the motherboard is properly detecting and using all of the available RAM. In some cases, the BIOS may be set to use a lower amount of RAM than is actually installed, which could explain why Windows is reporting only 12GB of RAM even though you have 4x4GB sticks installed.

If you have tried all of these steps and the problem persists, it is likely that the motherboard is defective and will need to be replaced. It's always a good idea to consult the motherboard's manual and any warranty information you have to determine the best course of action.

Curious, but what if my BIOS knows I have

16GB RAM, but Task Manager, & DXDiag only 

shows 10GB or 8GB RAM, yet in other Places of Windows it's being considered 16GB RAM? 

Fresh Install on New SSD, after PC had died once already on last SSD, & No BIOS Tampering, Since Updated BIOS Was Detected To Already Exist... But Computer is running faster then before, & Performing not so bad, & everything else checks to be ok on the System... 

What does that mean? Then?