what wattage do i need to upgrade my gpu?

N37F

I am building a pc and bought all parts on black Friday except the GPU, was waiting for a GPU to release,and the rx7900 xtx is coming soon

partpicker estimated wattage without a GPU is 321

And AMD recommends at least an 850w PSU

And I have a 750w PSU

And the rx7900xtx uses about 335w so 656w in total will I be fine or do I need to buy a new psu? I have about 100w wiggle room i see that as more then enough but i am no expert

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FsQHjZ

Your calculation is sound. But until anyone tries it out, you don't know if those cards have short power consumption spikes, that go well above the 335W power target.

The 3000 series was notorious for these "transient spikes".

I also suspect, that the recommended PSU figure they give is calculated as: GPU Wattage + the most power hungry setup any reasonable person could ever have".
Just so that they don't have to deal with the bad press, that peoples computers blackscreen all the time.

It'll be fine if you have a good PSU, if it's a crap one it may fail on occasional spikes

What's the brand/model ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

are you including drives, USB devices (like headphones, mouse/keyboard, microphone, controllers), fans, or anything else powered off of the power supply?

5 or 6 fans, a couple drives, and a bunch of various usb stuff, might not quite get up to 100W but it may be close.

The motherboard itself can potentially draw up to 50-60 watts.

4 sticks of ram can pull ~10-15W.

It all depends on what you are including in these counts.

If you want to see the true power usage, use a kill-a-watt or something similar. there are inefficiencies, but you can look up the inefficiency of the power supply to offset the reading from the wall.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Motherboard is more like 10-15 watts. Ram is around 2-3 watts per stick. Fans usually consume under 2-3 watts.

USB stuff by design should be under 5 watts for each usb 3.0 port (5v at 0.9a limit) , unless they're full of leds a mouse and a keyboard usually consume under 1w

CPU will consume a lot of power only when running at 100% - not all games will us all cores at 100% ... the estimations will use the peak power as if you run 100% cpu usage.

Video card is unlikely to peak at more than 350 watts.

If it's a decent 750w psu, you'll be fine.

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It'll be fine if you have a good PSU, if it's a crap one it may fail on occasional spikes

What's the brand/model ?

Msi mpg a750gf

Personally, with how power hungry modern components are, I have an extremely hard time recommending anything PSU lower than 850W.

As for myself, I don't buy PSUs lower than 1000W if I want the system to last as long as possible. Your PSU and case should be the parts of your PC that you change the least frequently.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

20 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Personally, with how power hungry modern components are, I have an extremely hard time recommending anything PSU lower than 850W.

As for myself, I don't buy PSUs lower than 1000W if I want the system to last as long as possible. Your PSU and case should be the parts of your PC that you change the least frequently.

Agreed. This is why I upgraded to an HX1200 for my current system. My system was triggering OCP on an HX850 due to the transient spikes.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, N37F said:

Msi mpg a750gf

Yeah it's a good PSU, should be good and worse that can happen is OCP shutdown, then you'll know you have to replace it if it happens

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones