Is it worth it to take 4000mhz RAM over 3600 one

Boombi
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, Boombi said:

I thought it would be worth to upgrade the motherboard in the future but if it isn't then I obviously will keep the X470.

I don't really want to do some fine tuning so I'll stick with XMP and take the 3600mhz RAM but sadly I just checked and it appears the current motherboard (Asus Tuf X470-Plus Gaming) doesn't support XMP for 3600. So I don't really know what to do, it only goes up to 3466, so what should I do with that ? Change motherboard or go with slower Ram or is there still a way without too much fine tuning to get 3600mhz.

It more looks like they just never updated the product page to take into account Ryzen 3000/5000 series's significantly better memory controller. If you look at the QVL for 3rd gen chips (it's the same memory controller as Ryzen 5000), 4400MT/s kits are rated to work on that board in 2 DIMM configurations, and there's a couple 4x8GB kits rated to work at 3600MT/s, so 3600MT/s should be able to work. 

If you want to save some more money though, 3200MT/s isn't that much slower on a single CCD CPU and is usually a bit cheaper as well. 

Budget (including currency): /

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any really, triple A to Minecraft or LOL etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): /

Hello i'd like to know while I'm upgrading a PC if going for 4000mhz ram instead of 3600 one is worth it on a Ryzen 5600x that will eventually be combined with a 3000 series (perhaps even 4000 who knows) the price difference is like 20 euros or something but if the performance change is ridiculously small then I won't mind. Right now it will be on a X470 board but I plan on eventually upgrade it to a X570 or B550 and want to have a future proof plateform, I don't plan on switching to DDR5 or so for the near future.

Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite V1, Ryzen 5 3600X, Gigabyte OC 3070ti, 850watt PSU, 1440p 144hz G@ming

Hello i'd like to know while I'm upgrading my PC if going for 4000mhz ram instead of 3600 one is worth it on a Ryzen 5600x

If you just plan on enabling XMP and nothing else, 4000MT/s will likely be slower than 3600MT/s since the memory controller will be desynchronized from the infinity fabric. 

If you are gonna do a little bit of tuning, you can get a bit extra performance by dropping the frequency down to 3800MT/s (what 98% of Ryzen max out the Infinity fabric at) and probably worth the extra $20, though only barely. 

12 minutes ago, Boombi said:

Right now it will be on a X470 board but I plan on eventually upgrade it to a X570 or B550 and want to have a future proof plateform

May I ask you why? Motherboard upgrades rarely make sense, since you'd only really get Gen 4 PCIe support instead which just doesn't really matter that much unless you're going for a 4090 (and even then, you'd be more limited by the CPU than the PCIe gen). X570/B550 don't really have any other advantages for future resilience, so the money you'd put towards that would be better put towards a future platform upgrade or just getting a better GPU. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

May I ask you why? Motherboard upgrades rarely make sense, since you'd only really get Gen 4 PCIe support instead which just doesn't really matter that much unless you're going for a 4090 (and even then, you'd be more limited by the CPU than the PCIe gen). X570/B550 don't really have any other advantages for future resilience, so the money you'd put towards that would be better put towards a future platform upgrade or just getting a better GPU. 

I thought it would be worth to upgrade the motherboard in the future but if it isn't then I obviously will keep the X470.

I don't really want to do some fine tuning so I'll stick with XMP and take the 3600mhz RAM but sadly I just checked and it appears the current motherboard (Asus Tuf X470-Plus Gaming) doesn't support XMP for 3600. So I don't really know what to do, it only goes up to 3466, so what should I do with that ? Change motherboard or go with slower Ram or is there still a way without too much fine tuning to get 3600mhz.

Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite V1, Ryzen 5 3600X, Gigabyte OC 3070ti, 850watt PSU, 1440p 144hz G@ming

It more looks like they just never updated the product page to take into account Ryzen 3000/5000 series's significantly better memory controller. If you look at the QVL for 3rd gen chips (it's the same memory controller as Ryzen 5000), 4400MT/s kits are rated to work on that board in 2 DIMM configurations, and there's a couple 4x8GB kits rated to work at 3600MT/s, so 3600MT/s should be able to work. 

If you want to save some more money though, 3200MT/s isn't that much slower on a single CCD CPU and is usually a bit cheaper as well. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Well in that case I'll take the 3600 I'm not really looking towards trying to do the more savings possible just wanted to have the best without needing to fine tune and just have it work oustide the box.