PSU Issue.

Hello! I got an EVGA 1600 P+ to go with my new build. Always wanted to go for custom cables, so I figured I’d diy it. 

I thought I was being careful as I did one pin at a time, so I couldn’t really put them back in wrong holes. One thing I didn’t think of, was plugging pins back correctly in terms of what side is PSU plug, and what side is component. 

After all the money and time I put in, I went to test last night. Put 24 pin in PSU, then plugged the jumper piece in to see if it worked. The PSU fan turned and stayed on. 

Then went to plug it into an old system that I wouldn’t care if it fried, the system turned on for a millisecond and turns back off. PSU makes a click. 

would component side vs PSU side cause that? I know the system is still alive as I grabbed a spare Corsair 450 and it turned on. 

grabbed the 24 pin from an old 850 EVGA, and it did the same click, but I’m not exactly sure they’re pinned the same. Figured that out by the jumper not working with the 850’s motherboard cable plugged in. 

put back the original 1600 motherboard cable and jumper works so the PSU seems fine, at least for fan spinning. 

Anyone know anything I might be able to do? Other then buy brand new motherboard and cpu cables? I’d like to save what I got, not too hurt if I can’t. 
120 bucks and 12 hours of my time is all it was 😂

020C3A0A-6B69-41FE-A15A-3CDFA43CA5E1.jpeg

1 hour ago, ThisIsChew said:

Hello! I got an EVGA 1600 P+ to go with my new build. Always wanted to go for custom cables, so I figured I’d diy it. 

I thought I was being careful as I did one pin at a time, so I couldn’t really put them back in wrong holes. One thing I didn’t think of, was plugging pins back correctly in terms of what side is PSU plug, and what side is component. 

After all the money and time I put in, I went to test last night. Put 24 pin in PSU, then plugged the jumper piece in to see if it worked. The PSU fan turned and stayed on. 

Then went to plug it into an old system that I wouldn’t care if it fried, the system turned on for a millisecond and turns back off. PSU makes a click. 

would component side vs PSU side cause that? I know the system is still alive as I grabbed a spare Corsair 450 and it turned on. 

grabbed the 24 pin from an old 850 EVGA, and it did the same click, but I’m not exactly sure they’re pinned the same. Figured that out by the jumper not working with the 850’s motherboard cable plugged in. 

put back the original 1600 motherboard cable and jumper works so the PSU seems fine, at least for fan spinning. 

Anyone know anything I might be able to do? Other then buy brand new motherboard and cpu cables? I’d like to save what I got, not too hurt if I can’t. 
120 bucks and 12 hours of my time is all it was 😂

020C3A0A-6B69-41FE-A15A-3CDFA43CA5E1.jpeg

Usually if you get a trip like that it's short circuit protection, meaning something may not be pinned correctly. Would highly recommend going back pin by pin to make sure it is correct.

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Usually if you get a trip like that it's short circuit protection, meaning something may not be pinned correctly. Would highly recommend going back pin by pin to make sure it is correct.

My problem would then be I have no idea. Is there labels on the pin that I can look at?

they were all black pins under the sleeving so I couldn’t go by color. 
I could find a pin layout no problem, but identifying what each pin in front of me is would be the problem. 

if you have the original psu cables then you can just look at  thows look at a pin by pin of each one by a multimeter.

you can make your own pinout too with the original psu cables buy putting one prong of the multimeter and toching the other side to the other end of the cable itll you get a redding or a beep then thats the wire for that pin.

if you didn't have the original cables then there a pin out on the psu somewhere on the net to fallow. witch is ground, 12v,5v

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

if you have the original psu cables then you can just look at  thows look at a pin by pin of each one by a multimeter.

you can make your own pinout too with the original psu cables buy putting one prong of the multimeter and toching the other side to the other end of the cable itll you get a redding or a beep then thats the wire for that pin.

Didn’t think of that. As I took one pin out, sleeved it, put it back for each pin, they should be in the correct slot. 
could it be that the pins are made for one end specifically to go component side, other power supply side?

5 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

Didn’t think of that. As I took one pin out, sleeved it, put it back for each pin, they should be in the correct slot. 
could it be that the pins are made for one end specifically to go component side, other power supply side?

the psu cables can only go one way. they are keyed to fit in one hole. unless you mixed the connector up...

oh and diffrent psu have diffrent pin layout so only 1 cable set will fit that psu thow i think evga uses the same for all there psus🤔?

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

the psu cables can only go one way. they are keyed to fit in one hole. unless you mixed the connector up...

I’m speaking on the pin specifically. If you take a single pin, of the 24 out of both sides of the plastic housings. 
do both ends of each pin do the exact same thing? 

3 minutes ago, ThisIsChew said:

I’m speaking on the pin specifically. If you take a single pin, of the 24 out of both sides of the plastic housings. 
do both ends of each pin do the exact same thing? 

should be there both male

the psu should use the same connectors and the cables, same pins as far as i no.

Edited by thrasher_565